To RAID or not to RAID, that's the question...

Voodoo

Admiral
Nov 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Just8KB8
Hey all,

I'll be receiving my 2nd SSD today and I was wondering if it's beneficial to put them in a RAID0 setup or not. I know it increases read/write speeds, but is this actually noticeable in loadtimes when playing games like SC?

Thanks in advance for the advise!

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I have two SSHD (hybrid drives) in RAID 0 and i fuckin love it. Everything is stupid fast. Go for it!

Reactions: Voodoo

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Generally speaking we use RAID 0 a lot to make large single volumes that span multiple drives, it comes in pretty handy when you're working with very large data sets - but there is a ... weakness... If a single drive fails in a Raid 0 configuration, it can take all of the data across all volumes in the array. We have daily differential backups as a result.

If it was mine, I'd install them as two separate volumes.

Voodoo

Admiral
Nov 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Just8KB8
Generally speaking we use RAID 0 a lot to make large single volumes that span multiple drives, it comes in pretty handy when you're working with very large data sets - but there is a ... weakness... If a single drive fails in a Raid 0 configuration, it can take all of the data across all volumes in the array. We have daily differential backups as a result.

If it was mine, I'd install them as two separate volumes.
Yeah I know about the risk of data loss. But that is not my real concern since I have a NAS drive for all my personal files. And a separate HDD for my local stuff.

So the only reason for me not to do RAID 0, is when the speed improvement is unnoticeable.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
You're going to be far more impressed with the performance of SSD than Raid 0 with SSD, but it sounds like you have your bases covered. That's not to say you won't be impressed:
If you put your OS on SSD, your boot time for say Windows 10 Professional (startup load) is incredible. My system went from 7 minute startup, to something like 30 seconds.

Reactions: Voodoo
Forgot your password?