Today I learned about Fuel Management.

Xenorak

Grand Admiral
Jul 12, 2016
RSI Handle
Xenorak
Not in a nice way either.

I literally ran out of fuel at around 25,000 feet over Daymar and lost engines, fell back towards the ground upside-down and sideways. I didn't die somehow and landed upright, what ensued was an interesting and lengthy search and rescue by some of the other people on the server. One ended up dying from also running out of fuel, and after about an hour I was located and picked up, the whole time staying with the giant landmark and oxygen supply that was my ship.

Overall it made for some really fun game-play, but boy did I shit a brick when I suddenly started falling, fuel consumption never crossed my mind before. It also made me hope for emergency beacons in the future, flares, or even external fuel tanks, those poor guys had a rough time of it until night time when the ships lights acted as a beacon.

Anyone else make the same mistake?
How I crashed.
SC BG 5.png

SC BG 6.png

Eventual Retrieval ,Ghoster_Prime MVP of the evening
Rescue!.png

Last edited:

Annimus

Commander
Dec 5, 2017
RSI Handle
CMDR_Annimus

I literally ran out of fuel at around 25,000 feet over Daymar and lost engines, fell back towards the ground upside-down and sideways. I didn't die somehow and landed upright, what ensued was an interesting and lengthy search and rescue by some of the other people on the server. One ended up dying from also running out of fuel, and after about an hour I was located and picked up, the whole time staying with the giant landmark and oxygen supply that was my ship.

Overall it made for some really fun game-play, but boy did I shit a brick when I suddenly started falling, fuel consumption never crossed my mind before. It also made me hope for emergency beacons in the future, flares, or even external fuel tanks, those poor guys had a rough time of it until night time when the ships lights acted as a beacon.

How I crashed.
View attachment 8447
View attachment 8448
View attachment 8449
Man, with each day SC feels more like an MMO than just a game in alpha. I mean, there is still a fucking long way to go, but things like this is what makes this game so interesting.

Xenorak

Grand Admiral
Jul 12, 2016
RSI Handle
Xenorak

This is your "fuel gauge"......it will deplete as you use afterburners/boost and will slowly regenerate after a period of time of not using it.
That explains why I didn't see it lol, I was checking the monitors not the HUD, it seems that when it hits 0 it stays there, or at least it did for my Gladius. I just ran a quick test with it in AC and that's definitely why my engines died, but I drifted into the boundaries before seeing how long the recharge would be.

Ill test it again tomorrow in the PTU and let myself drift into the void and see if I gain any back or not.

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
If you have a ship with scoops, like the Freelancer, you will acquire fuel just by cruising along. I refilled my tanks to full, while flying. Just remember, you have to fly straight, gymnastics will keep it from refilling.
Boost up sometime, then just let it cruise, you will see it start to fill up. This is especially true if you "skim" through the upper atmosphere of moons.

Yeah, this game is going from amazing to incredible is a short time.

Raither

Captain
Nov 2, 2017
RSI Handle
Dr_McLaren
I think all ships have at least a small intake except for the snub fighters, but yeah you can theoretically travel as long as you like without ever having to hit a CryAstro or refuel at all - just skim and scoop your way to exploration and profits as long as there is a nearby fuel source

Starfarer has 3x Large Intakes, so a couple of those filling up with a couple protection/security squads while a main fleet is out causing mayhem and burning through fuel like Mad Max just sounds like a solid plan

We could theoretically terrorize the galaxy and feel about doing it because we did it with green energy!

No fossil fuels used.

BluePilote

Space Marshal
Jun 25, 2017
RSI Handle
BluePilote

How I crashed.
View attachment 8447
View attachment 8448
View attachment 8449
Awsome pics

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
That explains why I didn't see it lol, I was checking the monitors not the HUD, it seems that when it hits 0 it stays there, or at least it did for my Gladius. I just ran a quick test with it in AC and that's definitely why my engines died, but I drifted into the boundaries before seeing how long the recharge would be.

Ill test it again tomorrow in the PTU and let myself drift into the void and see if I gain any back or not.
Best of luck to ya!

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
I never saw my fuel gauge go up after 15 minutes of straight flying in my Cutlass Black so I'm not so sure it has a fuel scoop.

Well anyway I don't find that we have enough fuel in ships, I do one mission and have to go Cryastro but maybe that's just my Cutlass Black and lack of experience getting about.

Forgot your password?