Tonks a lot!

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
From his analysis it sounds like you really need to fill all three seats in at least one tank out of three. MAYBE a skillful commander can command three tanks if all his drivers are listening carefully, but I would not want to be in a tank without the 360* situational awareness. It's certainly worth trying five man teams in three tanks total to see if that's really sufficient, but given drivers can't see sideways, all tank crews are going to need very skilled commanders, constantly telling drivers not only where to find targets, but how to avoid driving into other tanks. This is a big deal. First thing I'd look for is a radar facing the driver. If there is one, this review didn't mention it.

I'd also note that given both the 30* angle and 1.8km range limitations of the main gun, defense against aerial strikes is limited to S3 missiles, which is 10 km. That means S4 or larger missiles, and S10 guns are required to kill these from outside their range. Anything that doesn't carry weapons this large is fair game. Something as small as a Cutty could kill 6 Novas from 15km with impunity, if it knew ahead of time to load up 6 S4 missiles. Consider the Cutty the premium Tonk Killer--our A-10. Since only S10 guns have this kind of range, it's going to be difficult for most ships to kill tanks safely. A fighter can come in and take its chances, but the notions of ships lazily hovering over a battlefield and ruling it are probably wrong. S3 missiles are going to stop that happening with most ships short of an Idris.

Really, to cope with both Tonks and Cutties with S3 missiles, you probably want a light fighter flying to evade the S3s. That will work, but certainly you're taking your chances against the missiles.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
From his analysis it sounds like you really need to fill all three seats in at least one tank out of three. MAYBE a skillful commander can command three tanks if all his drivers are listening carefully, but I would not want to be in a tank without the 360* situational awareness. It's certainly worth trying five man teams in three tanks total to see if that's really sufficient, but given drivers can't see sideways, all tank crews are going to need very skilled commanders, constantly telling drivers not only where to find targets, but how to avoid driving into other tanks. This is a big deal. First thing I'd look for is a radar facing the driver. If there is one, this review didn't mention it.

I'd also note that given both the 30* angle and 1.8km range limitations of the main gun, defense against aerial strikes is limited to S3 missiles, which is 10 km. That means S4 or larger missiles, and S10 guns are required to kill these from outside their range. Anything that doesn't carry weapons this large is fair game. Something as small as a Cutty could kill 6 Novas from 15km with impunity, if it knew ahead of time to load up 6 S4 missiles. Consider the Cutty the premium Tonk Killer--our A-10. Since only S10 guns have this kind of range, it's going to be difficult for most ships to kill tanks safely. A fighter can come in and take its chances, but the notions of ships lazily hovering over a battlefield and ruling it are probably wrong. S3 missiles are going to stop that happening with most ships short of an Idris.

Really, to cope with both Tonks and Cutties with S3 missiles, you probably want a light fighter flying to evade the S3s. That will work, but certainly you're taking your chances against the missiles.
Defenders should be able to trash them, S2 Singe range is currently 2.9km and the S3 Singe (whenever it is implemented in PU) is currently 2.7km.

I'm also not sure where the S3 missiles from him came from, I can only put S2 missiles on the tonk and erkul.games also lists it as S2 missiles.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Could be it's going through rapid update. What I see on erkul is the option for each of the two missile launchers to carry 1S6, 2S5, 4S4 or 8S3. 16 missiles with range past that carried by most fighters is a serious handful.

The numbers on the Slayer ballistic cannon are silly--about 35X that of the Deadbolt S5. That sounds nutty to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deroth and Vavrik

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Could be it's going through rapid update. What I see on erkul is the option for each of the two missile launchers to carry 1S6, 2S5, 4S4 or 8S3. 16 missiles with range past that carried by most fighters is a serious handful.

The numbers on the Slayer ballistic cannon are silly--about 35X that of the Deadbolt S5. That sounds nutty to me.
The racks seems off to me in erkul for that, when I toyed with it in-game it acted more like proprietary slots that only accept specific 'approved' racks, not all racks of size...but there's been a few patches since then so that could've changed.

Forgot your password?