Tried out mining in the PTU, had fun despite the bugs

Schmunkel

Space Marshal
Jul 2, 2014
RSI Handle
schmunkel
After gaining access to the 3.5 PTU, I was able to buy a Prospector on Levski and go try out mining. Every other ship in the game is available to spawn when you load into the PTU except the Prospector, which was kind of annoying. Luckily, with the 5 million in funds they give you I could but one. The ship itself is pretty great, but I ended up crashing a few times as I am still getting used to the new throttle settings on the flight model. Mining also was bugged where scanning wasn't identifying the makeup of the rocks, the power level coloring wasn't working, and lately the mining laser was misaligned where it doesn't point where you aim. Despite all this, mining seemed pretty interesting as I liked the freedom of just jumping over to a planet and getting to work. I am still working on revamping my keybinds and getting used to the new flight model, however, I would suggest that anyone who did not have a chance to try out mining before (like me) jump in the PTU and give it a go. This way you can know the basics when things go live.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
The Terrapin doesn't seem to be in the PTU either, but my Prospectors are (No they're not. I could have sworn..). Heh. But yeah...flight model, or at least it's controls, takes some getting used to. Apparently, that's more getting used to than I've done because it's not working quite right for me.

Last edited:

Jangmo

Grand Admiral
Donor
Apr 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Jangmo
I’m missing a few ships in the ptu as well, re copying never brought them back : /

All the more reason to be excited for the live release!

Reactions: Scape and Vavrik

Schmunkel

Space Marshal
Jul 2, 2014
RSI Handle
schmunkel
I had to download it all, because of a kind of accident - but I'm talking about the PTU content's purpose, not the content.
The PTU has been a great chance for me to try out the new flight model on multiple ships, most of which I do not own. For example, flying the Caterpillar was nuts as it is so huge (the only ship I own is a Freelancer Max). I was also able to test out mining for the first time as I do not own a Prospector. I also have reported a few bugs that I came across, including the ones I had on mining.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
The PTU has been a great chance for me to try out the new flight model on multiple ships, most of which I do not own. For example, flying the Caterpillar was nuts as it is so huge (the only ship I own is a Freelancer Max). I was also able to test out mining for the first time as I do not own a Prospector. I also have reported a few bugs that I came across, including the ones I had on mining.
It is a good way to try out ships. I can't mine in the PTU, they didn't give me a prospector, but I own 2. Just my luck. But I ended up being too busy at work this week to care much about the PTU. If I tell myself that often enough, I might believe it.

Reactions: Bambooza

Sayora

Grand Admiral
Donor
Oct 23, 2018
RSI Handle
Sayora
It is a good way to try out ships. I can't mine in the PTU, they didn't give me a prospector, but I own 2. Just my luck. But I ended up being too busy at work this week to care much about the PTU. If I tell myself that often enough, I might believe it.
Just FYI since you get 5 mill, you can go to Levski and buy a Prospector, that will get it in your ship list

Reactions: Vavrik and Bambooza

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Just FYI since you get 5 mill, you can go to Levski and buy a Prospector, that will get it in your ship list
I saw the 5 mill... but I haven't gotten away from Port Olisar. I mean I'm checking out how ships I don't have work

Forgot your password?