Turtle Power

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
I have conflicting feelings about the terrapin. Looks like it will make a great scout but the armament scares me. I would not feel safe in that and would feel safer in a DUR. A DUR also has some cargo, which plays more to my style.

It would be a great ship to have if scouting for a team, like if it was deployed from a Polaris or Idris. Chances are in that situation, I'd still be on the capital ship and not the one scouting. Just me.

I hope others like it. I like the MDF setup.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
It was originally slated to carry a single, S5 on gimbal, but now it has a pair of we don't know what. A pair of S4 Ballistics is a lot of firepower, and the ship turns much more quickly than I had expected, so it may be viable in a fight.

I agree that it would be a good scout for the Polaris, and according to the published stats it ought to fit, but I think it is much larger than the stats say.

I think where this ship ought to shine is with running shields unpowered and perhaps even in Void Armor. The hull means it can take a beating, and shields off makes it much stealthier. I doubt the Lancer will ever be as Stealthy, though it could run away better.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I have conflicting feelings about the terrapin. Looks like it will make a great scout but the armament scares me. I would not feel safe in that and would feel safer in a DUR. A DUR also has some cargo, which plays more to my style.

It would be a great ship to have if scouting for a team, like if it was deployed from a Polaris or Idris. Chances are in that situation, I'd still be on the capital ship and not the one scouting. Just me.

I hope others like it. I like the MDF setup.

I too really want to like this ship and was excited about the ship page that said it could also do some limited Search and Rescue as well as have jump seats for a strike team. And then they said the swivel chair cannot be removed. And like that a little turtle ship that would have been so amazing was gimped.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I'm curious if in the future game play they will allow a Carrack to connect to a small fleet of scattered Terrapins scanning arrays to then create a 3D model of an area of a battle field to then relay that information to the flag & other capital ships to orchestrate a massive fleet battle. Sort of like how various connected devices on current battlefields connect to AWACS to help provide logistics in real time.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
When I watched this as a kid, I had no idea the country I lived in had the opening theme tune edited because they throught Ninjas were too EXTREEEEEME for da kidz.

Here's the version I heared as a kid:

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
There is a video out there showing it in combat against a couple of NPC pirates (note he changed the weopons to badgers) and it was reasonably effective. The maker did say it would be rubbish against players. I have this ship (just because of looks) and it looks like it appears in squadron 42 which is why it has some limitations. To be effective it should avoid combat but can you fly and scan at the same time as a solo pilot? If you can why the silly chair. The silly chair also disallows even a small cargo capacity or bike. I just feel they thought it would be too good if it had the same flexibility as say an Aquila or similar.

We do not have scan mechanics and there are some ships without scanning stations i.e. Hornet tracker who can do so from pilot seats so it will be interesting to see how this balances out.

Note I own the ship because I like it not because its good. << best way.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I'm curious if in the future game play they will allow a Carrack to connect to a small fleet of scattered Terrapins scanning arrays to then create a 3D model of an area of a battle field to then relay that information to the flag & other capital ships to orchestrate a massive fleet battle. Sort of like how various connected devices on current battlefields connect to AWACS to help provide logistics in real time.
Chris Roberts is on record that scan can be shared among ships in a group. He even specified that larger ships could have smaller, stealthier ones spot for torpedoes from a distance. So yeah, that totally affects what one would choose to carry on the Polaris. A Hornet Tracker, Reliant Sen, or a modified Hurricane might all serve as spotters for the big torps, but the Turtle has S2 scan, so if it will fit into the Polaris, could be first choice. (The Lancer won't fit.) You can imagine standing off on the edge of an asteroid field where your signal is blurred and lobbing big torps with some immunity, all guided by a ghost spotter in a wee little Turtle, but that Turtle driver needs balls of solid brass.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
You can imagine standing off on the edge of an asteroid field where your signal is blurred and lobbing big torps with some immunity, all guided by a ghost spotter in a wee little Turtle, but that Turtle driver needs balls of solid brass.
Or a really stiff drink taken a keg at a time. Although that might effect the accuracy.

Forgot your password?