[TV Show] The Expanse - (watch it)

CGPepper

Comrade
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
CGP
A fellow testie member Didipuff haz recently told me about this new (2015) sci-fi TV show The Expanse

IMDB - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3230854/

As he described it, it's Star Trek meets House of Cards and is one of the best shows he ever seen. Yeah right i thought, until i saw the first 4 episodes. I am telling you comrades, it's the greatest show i've ever seen.

The expanse is exactly how i imagine star citizen to be. Enormous industrial space stations, high tech military or improvised equipment for minimum wage workers. Governments rationing water. Racism between planets. Earthers are privilaged douches, martians are progressive dreamers, deformed belters who grew up in low gravity and are just trying to make it through the day.

It's definetely worth a watch

Last edited:

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
I second this! Great show all around. And if you want more reasons to enjoy this show.... one of the authors who helped write the book series the show is based after collaborates with George R R Martin of game of thrones fame.

Basically it's game of thrones in space with the drama, political maneuvering, and epic story arcs. Check out the show and if you like to read some epic books check out the book series:

https://www.amazon.com/Expanse-Boxed-Set-Leviathan-Calibans/dp/B014KWUBXE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470562119&sr=8-1&keywords=the+expanse+book

I just stared the fourth book in this series and it has filled my sci-fi literary needs.

Snakey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jul 15, 2015
RSI Handle
SNKYGMG
noice! gonna see if i can download i mean legally buy some episodes before i go on holiday

Reactions: orac_zen

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
Thanks a bunch for the recommendation! I was just searching for a new show and wasn't finding anything very interesting.

ratfeast

Space Marshal
Apr 11, 2016
RSI Handle
ratfeast
Incredible show. thanks for pointing it out. Do you know how they did the zero-G sequences? I like the sex in space too.

CGPepper

Comrade
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
CGP
Just waiting on the second season here... and waiting... why do the seasons have to be so far apart on all the good shows...
At least there is a second season.
I am actually considering reading the books. Does anyone know how close they overlap with the show?

DansAFK

Admiral
Mar 30, 2016
RSI Handle
DansAFK
Didn't read the books but thoroughly enjoyed the expanse. There's a lot of star citizen feels and reminders in the space station, eva, zero g and spaceship scenes. Had to force my family to watch it past episode 1 and eventually they came round to liking it. Always been a fan of stories with a washed up cop trying to do good and not be corrupt but ending up in grey areas most the time.

Once your done with The Expanse, do yourself a favour and watch:

• Killjoys (IMDB) - Best soundtrack ever and took till episode 5 to really find its feet for me. Re-watched the entire season again and the humour and dialogue that's hidden away is hilarious.

• Darkmatter (IMDB) - Started off as my favourite new series but switched places with killjoys the more I watched both shows. Still a very solid sci-fi show with some pretty good episodes, but there is a lot of filler that doesn't advance a overarching plot. Still very good and would recommend.

• Stranger Things (IMDB) - Came out of nowhere, watched this series over the past few days. Best netflix original series since daredevil. If you took all the nostalgia from the 80s like E.T, Goonies and threw it all in a blender with Super 8 the movie then this is what you would get. Hell of a rollercoaster ride with a satisfying ending and setting itself up for a second season. More like a movie divided into 8 parts than a series. Would highly recommend!

Reactions: Beerjerker

orac_zen

Space Marshal
Mar 16, 2016
RSI Handle
orak1
its a great show. Dark Matter is good as well and kill joys is another one I like!

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
At least there is a second season.
I am actually considering reading the books. Does anyone know how close they overlap with the show?
The books differ a little... So far. Basically the first season is half the first book. Similar adaptation of game of thrones from pen to screen.... Worth the read!

Also some of the conflict in the show is different; but it works because it would be hard to explain a lot of the background into a single hour once a week.

GojiraSamurai

Space Marshal
Jul 22, 2016
RSI Handle
GojiraSamurai
Didn't read the books but thoroughly enjoyed the expanse. There's a lot of star citizen feels and reminders in the space station, eva, zero g and spaceship scenes. Had to force my family to watch it past episode 1 and eventually they came round to liking it. Always been a fan of stories with a washed up cop trying to do good and not be corrupt but ending up in grey areas most the time.

Once your done with The Expanse, do yourself a favour and watch:

• Killjoys (IMDB) - Best soundtrack ever and took till episode 5 to really find its feet for me. Re-watched the entire season again and the humour and dialogue that's hidden away is hilarious.

• Darkmatter (IMDB) - Started off as my favourite new series but switched places with killjoys the more I watched both shows. Still a very solid sci-fi show with some pretty good episodes, but there is a lot of filler that doesn't advance a overarching plot. Still very good and would recommend.

• Stranger Things (IMDB) - Came out of nowhere, watched this series over the past few days. Best netflix original series since daredevil. If you took all the nostalgia from the 80s like E.T, Goonies and threw it all in a blender with Super 8 the movie then this is what you would get. Hell of a rollercoaster ride with a satisfying ending and setting itself up for a second season. More like a movie divided into 8 parts than a series. Would highly recommend!
enjoyed killjoys as well, used the name in some of my lore writing for ED

Forgot your password?