Update Downloading Question

RememberMe

Space Marshal
Mar 27, 2016
RSI Handle
ImRememberMe
so i was thinking.do we still have to download like 20 or more GB every update? i mean.it takes a long time for me.and every update? is gonna be like that.or in future patch it will just download the new stuff ? and delete the broken one ?

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
so i was thinking.do we still have to download like 20 or more GB every update? i mean.it takes a long time for me.and every update? is gonna be like that.or in future patch it will just download the new stuff ? and delete the broken one ?
At the moment you have to download the whole thing (almost). However CIG is currently testing their "delta" patcher which will allow you to just download only the changed files, reducing download size significantly.

The reason you have to download (almost) everything at the moment is because the game files are packaged in .pak files. When a file changes inside the .pak package then the whole package has to be replaced.

Hopefully the updated launcher/patcher will arrive with 3.0.

RememberMe

Space Marshal
Mar 27, 2016
RSI Handle
ImRememberMe
At the moment you have to download the whole thing (almost). However CIG is currently testing their "delta" patcher which will allow you to just download only the changed files, reducing download size significantly.

The reason you have to download (almost) everything at the moment is because the game files are packaged in .pak files. When a file changes inside the .pak package then the whole package has to be replaced.

3.0 so its gonna take a while then.damn.i hope i can get a better download speed cause it took me like 1 day just to finish updating

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
Of course I RememberYou. hehe

Yep, what he said.
The Delta Patcher will resolve this problem.
However, please remember that 3.0 will be a Major Update which includes an entire system with 5 planets, etc so that will obviously take awhile the first time. Updates to it will be much less.

RememberMe

Space Marshal
Mar 27, 2016
RSI Handle
ImRememberMe
Of course I RememberYou. hehe

Yep, what he said.
The Delta Patcher will resolve this problem.
However, please remember that 3.0 will be a Major Update which includes an entire system with 5 planets, etc so that will obviously take awhile the first time. Updates to it will be much less.
Hey Cosmic.Been a long time huh ? been busy in some work lately lol..now im free :P getting back to Star Citizen and collecting money to upgrade ships again :D
I do hope they put that delta patcher sooner.cause right now its kinda annoying to download everything every update.

Reactions: CosmicTrader
Forgot your password?