Video: A reminder that Star Citizen is in alpha!

R0NAN

Captain
Jan 7, 2018
RSI Handle
R0NAN
I agree. The game is great for what it is. Regardless how long it's taken to get to 3.0 sometimes I think some people forget that CIG didn't really need to allow us the hands-on content that we currently have. We are literally tools for testing the limits of an incomplete game, saving the developers the time it takes to stress test the system by lettings us figure out ways to push the content to its limits. I wish more game studios where more open about development like this.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Hurrah! Thanks to you for the video and the pointer Glorious Leader!

I've found posting the following works quite well when someone is complaining about the game not being finished yet - gets the Alpha point across:

View: https://youtu.be/S1LZnwxpRmg?t=21s

Edgewise

Space Marshal
Jun 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Edgewise-SJ
The only reason ppl can play right now is stretch goal 25 mil.
  • Enhanced Alpha – We will use additional funding to build a wider alpha test than we had originally intended for the first phase of Star Citizen’s launch. The initial plan was to first launch servers in North America and then expand to areas such as Europe and Australia to decrease latency in these areas, perfecting the game as we improve the experience around the world. This funding will allow us to invest in a wider infrastructure for our early testing, spinning up remote servers earlier. Hitting this goal will also allow us to increase the number of remaining alpha slots. Extra alpha slots not only means more Star Citizens will travel the ‘verse at launch, but that we will receive more feedback and more stress testing. This in turn will allow us to better balance and enhance the Star Citizen experience!
It's great that we can all participate in the alpha test but it's also not a requirement. People who only want a gameplay experience should wait because it will in time start feeling more and more like a 'game' and less like an 'alpha'.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Cross post of a response I have a backer that seems to be quitting SC due to not understanding alpha.

While many of the posts here are...well, harsh at the very least, and many outright rude, there Is some truth behind it. Now, as many have said, this game is currently in alpha status. For a better understanding, please see this page in Wikipedia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle

Computer games go through many cycles and phases before they are released. Typically in pre alpha, they are developing The design documentation, and then maybe writing the basic engine or putting together the framework on while the game will run. If you were building a house, this is creating the blueprints and maybe putting in the foundation.

The next phase is alpha. This is where you are going through and developing the features you said you wanted in the design documentation. This includes people moving, getting into and out of vehicles, being able to switch from controlling a person to controlling a ship. implementing the flight and combat characteristics you want. Developing trading and hauling mechanics and implementing a basic test bed for an economy. (this is about where we are now). Later on, you might implement banking, warehousing goods, trading between individuals, resource gathering, etc. again, all of this is during alpha. Going back to building a house. This is putting up the frame of the house, installing the electrical wiring, plumbing, HV/AC etc.

then comes early beta or sometimes closed beta. This is when all of the basic structure and features of the game are complete and you start optimizing the code, do balance passes, and in general, start making the game look and function as you intend to in the final version. This is where you start putting up the drywall/plaster, installing the cabinets, faucets, countertops, flooring, siding, shingles, etc.

After early beta comes late beta or open beta. Here you are doing the final polish passes, perform stress tests, etc. for the most part, the game is now in the final expected form with no major changes planned outside balance or optimization. In the house analogy, this is painting the walls any color but the builder white already done, installing the right trim, and putting In the major appliances like the cooktop, oven, refrigerator, etc. Your release candidates come from this phase.

Release. This is when most games go live, and are available for purchase and download. In this phase, the house has been fully inspected and the city has given an occupancy permit allowing the owners to move in.

When I say most games, I do not include star citizen in that. This game is way back in alpha where you are still building the frame of the house. In this case, the builders are letting us come in and see how they are building it, and where everything is going. Based on our feedback, they may even make changes like how big a stove you can fit, where the outlets are in a room, and maybe even how big the windows are in the kitchen. The floors are not installed, the windows are not in, and the electrical is still being put in, but the water and gas lines are run.

Please be patient. If all you want is the finished game, come back when it is complete. If you want to help to contribute to the development of the game and provide feedback on what is fun and what is not, then please stay and help test and provide feedback.

hope this helped

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
I love how dumb people can be in this day and age of technology being literally people's lives.

I'm just so happy I can drink to dully disappointment in humanity.

Hold my beer, I'm going to get a beer.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Sure but I have two beers, so I'll hold mine together and you can balance yours on top.
Okay. I don't want that one anymore, you can keep it. Do you want me to get you another beer while i'm at the bar?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Okay this is where my true talent is going to shine, yes, get me another beer!
Sorry for the delay, the queue at the bar was huge. They had a special on three pints for £5 so I got you two...

Damn I forgot the crisps and peanuts, could you hold my pint while I just go grab 'em? Taa.

AstroGimp01

Space Marshal
Jan 31, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroGimp01
I just spent 4 uninterrupted hours in this buggy pre-Alpha, and I had a great fucking time. I flew my most audacious trade mission yet, stops on Daymar and Yela to get as much Laranite as I could (not much), then medical supplies (only 20 SCU), so I flew my Connie from Port to Daymar, from Daymar to Yela, and from Yela to Delamar and then landed at Levski. Made 150K aUEC on a half-loaded Connie.

Then I went for hike outside Levski, an hour long hike. I climbed a mountain, explored around the outside of the landing bays. Went on a a spending spree at Grim HEX and Levski (gotta have some cool threads and a Sniper rifle).

Then I filled the Connie with Diamonds, flew back to Olisar, and sold the lot. All told, I cleared 400K aUEC with only 3 cargo runs in the Connie (1 being multiple stops for pickup and still only half-full).

I had a ton of fun, all by myself. Found a couple new-to-me bugs to report or upvote, and helped a few guys out in chat as well.

Where is the game, where is the content they ask?

Wherever, however and with whoever the fuck we want it, that's where - and it is outstanding.

ScreenShot0271.jpg

ScreenShot0280.jpg

ScreenShot0290.jpg

ScreenShot0295.jpg

ScreenShot0299.jpg

If this is vaporware or a scam, then it is the worst example ever, 'cuz I am having a blast, a frustrating, occasionally aggravating blast, but a blast all the same.

'Gimp

Forgot your password?