[Video] Crytek vs Star Citizen, out of court settlement done!

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Drunk last night.
Drunk the night before,
Gonna get drunk tonight like I never been drunk before,
For when I'm drunk I'm as happy as can be;
For I am a member of the TEST Squardon
Chorus
Singing Glo-ri-ous! Glo-ri-ous!
One keg of beer for the four of us!
Singing glory be to CIG that there are no more of us;
For one of us could drink it all alone!

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I remember reading/hearing some interview that Crytek were super desperate for cash at time of selling, so yes, seems they Amazon good deal.
But was it truly a good deal for Amazon. Besides CIG I have to wonder how many other development houses have picked the engine over Unreal, Unity.

Reactions: Deroth and Vavrik

Tei

Captain
Dec 8, 2019
RSI Handle
TeiwazWolf
But was it truly a good deal for Amazon. Besides CIG I have to wonder how many other development houses have picked the engine over Unreal, Unity.
Amazon historically did not shy away from blowing money, remember that they were in red for many years until they dominated market, I imagine that what they spent on engine and spend for developing it is a pocket change for them now.

Reactions: Deroth and Vavrik

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I too can make up numbers!

100,000,000,000 and 32.
The highest number I have ever had to use was 7.6 Septillion in reference to the number of electrons doing somethingorother.

A Septillion is a one with 24 zeroes after it, and I had 7.6 of them.

That day my tutor looked at me blankly and then uncomfortably, and I realized once a number gets high enough it moves out of the scope of human comprehension and basically means nothing anyway.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
I remember reading/hearing some interview that Crytek were super desperate for cash at time of selling, so yes, seems they Amazon good deal.
Ware??? I don't see them in better state now then before with they last game just dumped...

Cryengine was one of the best and most advanced game egine back in the Crysis time, and even Crysis 3 was dam looking good. Problem is CT have let it sink, without developing an interesting game (Crysis 2 and 3 ware not so good as the first one...), and beiing able to support theyr engine properly so that many game company has opted for another engine.
I Amazon have bought it is, my pure speculatiion, to develope a "game developing infrrastructure" based both on AWS and CE, so that small Game company can afford it without warry to much on investin on an actual server infrastructure (investing money in the actual game development) while at the same time allow bigger studio to use a good game engine, with good support, and allow them to scale theyr server infrastructure on-demand.... and all without to warry about hardware renewal etc...

Remeber that Amazon with WAS is one of the two bigger player of the could eviroments along with Microsoft Asure, I'm sure they have plan to expand theyr business outside the simple server on-demand model.

Reactions: Vavrik and Deroth

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
The highest number I have ever had to use was 7.6 Septillion in reference to the number of electrons doing somethingorother.

A Septillion is a one with 24 zeroes after it, and I had 7.6 of them.

That day my tutor looked at me blankly and then uncomfortably, and I realized once a number gets high enough it moves out of the scope of human comprehension and basically means nothing anyway.
lol

Well in all seriousness, if Crytek was handing out licenses at $2M per pop, all we have to do is look up what games have been developed on the platform over the past few years:

And there is the list!

Looks like maybe 8 or 10 games over the past few years, which is not too bad. I would say your $50M estimate on the low end would actually be the more accurate of numbers.

Forgot your password?