[Video] Montoya's Crytek vs CIG motion to dismiss update

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
Very short video for a big subject.
This is all part of the bigger entertainment that is SC. When I say that, I mean it is like a football (soccer) fan. What happens on the pitch in 90 mins is not even half of the fun. Many fans enjoy the politics of the club, the chats at work or in the pub, the celebrity life of the players, and the off pitch chat news.

Am I meandering typing again?
I spend more time reading about SC than I do playing right now.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Thank you, Glorious Leader!

If my thinking is correct (probably not), if CIG can finish the game ("The Game" from here on refers to both Space Citizen and Squadron 42) and get it released before this court case goes to court, Crytech 'aint got shit on them anyway. Doesn't all this (apart from if CIG owes them a second game license or not) depend on "the game" being an actual finished product on sale and delivered to the backers who essentially "pre-ordered" it in their starter and pledge packages? Beta testing isn't playing a game, Alpha testing definately isn't playing a game, and no one thinks the patch they have loaded in their PC's right now is anything close to being a finished game - and added to that if the project had folded shortly after the GLA was signed there would not be anything to put their logo on anyway...?

I haven't read any of the GLA, but I don't see anything in it saying CIG has to put anything on pre-release or early access parts of the game.

Also, if CryTech say splitting S42 to a separate game purchase means it's a separate game, what about all of the packages that have it included? If only (number out of thin air) 11% of s42 owners have it as a separate purchase, would that ruling only be applicable to those 11% that purchased it up to the point cryengine was abandoned, and the resulting penalty be sized to account for that?

If Crytech bum us the backers for another license fee due to a technicality in a poorly worded part of the GLA i'm gonna be "slightly vexed".

Who knows.

Last edited:

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Could you post a tldr of the vid please? I got no proper internetz (on holiday), but I'm very interested in what our glorious leader has to say, and what's new with the case! Thanks!
Judge did not drop entire case as requested by CIG, she wants to hear a bit more and understand exactly what both sides are saying.

Judge wants to hear why Crytek says Squadron 42 is a separate game not covered by the license if the actual GLA says that Squadron 42 is part of the actual game covered by the license:

Case can continue and go to court, losing side has to pay legal fees for the winning side plus any damages incurred, like paying for the game license for Squadron 42 or/and breach of contract if it is proven.

CIG will say breach of contract is false, they were on Lumberyard when they dropped the Crytek logo.

Now we wait.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Judge did not drop entire case as requested by CIG, she wants to hear a bit more and understand exactly what both sides are saying.

Judge wants to hear why Crytek says Squadron 42 is a separate game not covered by the license if the actual GLA says that Squadron 42 is part of the actual game covered by the license:

Case can continue and go to court, losing side has to pay legal fees for the winning side plus any damages incurred, like paying for the game license for Squadron 42 or/and breach of contract if it is proven.

CIG will say breach of contract is false, they were on Lumberyard when they dropped the Crytek logo.

Now we wait.
Thank you, very much appreciated!
Cheers from lake Balaton!
IMG_20180818_182647_758.jpg

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
If Crytek lose, will they be able to pay CIG's legal costs?
I recall stories about them not being able to pay wages.
Will a loss bankrupt them, and leave CIG out of pocket anyway? No doubt their lawyers have worked all this out.

Reactions: hardroc77

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
If Crytek lose, will they be able to pay CIG's legal costs?
I recall stories about them not being able to pay wages.
Will a loss bankrupt them, and leave CIG out of pocket anyway? No doubt their lawyers have worked all this out.
As far as I know they still have some money from licensing the engine and ofc from the amazon deal. I don't know if they have money for all their costs (late wages and such). I don't know how bankruptcy works by US (or German?) Law, but they might end up not having to pay, as they are going through bankruptcy?

Reactions: hardroc77
Forgot your password?