[Video] Oculus Quest unboxing!

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
You didnt want the new vive? Kinda curious about the power for this one though and the latency. The controllers for the new vive are realy cool since they are hands free and strap to your wrists/arms
Im waiting for some next gen stuff if its connected to my PC, plus I need to upgrade my video card first.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Just do what I did and duct tap a potato to your monitor and shove a USB cable into it.
Bit if the potato is on the monitor what shall I fill my PC case with when it's not working properly?

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
Looks like a nice unit, congrats on the purchase.

I’m really interested in how it runs on your 970, and what games / apps there are for kids. Do I need to upgrade from the 1060 in my machine, and is there good content for younger people?

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
First impressions:

So far Im loving it. Keep in mind that my previous VR experience was limited to the Development kit version of the Oculus, so this is a big improvement.

It gets a little warm, but its also in the 90's and humid here today. Battery life was as advertised, I got at least 2.5hr through some games and just browsing around.

I downloaded the Netflix app and will give it a try tonight.

There is obviously still some screen door effect, nowhere close to what my other HMD had, but its there.

Once we get to 8k resolution per eye, it will be better, but that is still far off in the future.

There are a few demos that come with the Quest, a tennis game which was amazingly fun, Beat Saber and Space Pirate.

The Quest sets up a Guardian zone around you. When you power it up in a new room, it asks you to paint a safe area around yourself. This sets up a holodeck looking grid around you where you can move around safely. If you step outside of this grid, the VR stops and you see the pass through image directly from the cameras which is a very cool feature.

I do not see this coming anywhere close to replacing any of my PC games, its more of a novelty, something to kill 20-30min with but no more.

I can see a time in the near future where a headset like this, at least 50% smaller and lighter will be sitting on your desk at all times. You will be able to slip it on and instantly transition from your screen to the wireless HMD. Those Star Citizen dogfights are going to be awesome!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
First impressions:

So far Im loving it. Keep in mind that my previous VR experience was limited to the Development kit version of the Oculus, so this is a big improvement.

It gets a little warm, but its also in the 90's and humid here today. Battery life was as advertised, I got at least 2.5hr through some games and just browsing around.

I downloaded the Netflix app and will give it a try tonight.

There is obviously still some screen door effect, nowhere close to what my other HMD had, but its there.

Once we get to 8k resolution per eye, it will be better, but that is still far off in the future.

There are a few demos that come with the Quest, a tennis game which was amazingly fun, Beat Saber and Space Pirate.

The Quest sets up a Guardian zone around you. When you power it up in a new room, it asks you to paint a safe area around yourself. This sets up a holodeck looking grid around you where you can move around safely. If you step outside of this grid, the VR stops and you see the pass through image directly from the cameras which is a very cool feature.

I do not see this coming anywhere close to replacing any of my PC games, its more of a novelty, something to kill 20-30min with but no more.

I can see a time in the near future where a headset like this, at least 50% smaller and lighter will be sitting on your desk at all times. You will be able to slip it on and instantly transition from your screen to the wireless HMD. Those Star Citizen dogfights are going to be awesome!
Yes, but how educational is it - does it live up to the excuse to get it? (Will I be able to use the same excuse and get away with it...?)

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I'm still iffy on the whole VR thing. Seems like it never really took off as much as it was hyped up to be.

Reactions: Vavrik

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Yes, but how educational is it - does it live up to the excuse to get it? (Will I be able to use the same excuse and get away with it...?)
Not now, my friend. You went and got your wife pregnant, which is going to be your fault more than once, even years from now. What I suggest is waiting at least 3 years, so you can use the excuse that it can be used for early childhood education purposes.

Forgot your password?