[Video] Purchaseable UEC Hardcap Removal

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
...huh.
I'm not sure i care either way? As long as it doesn't *actually* end up pay to win then i dont have a problem with people giving themselves a hand up. The instant it becomes necessary to buy UEC to have fun, though, that's when i have an issue with it.

Also, good video.

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77
Well said. You made some obvious points and I agree that's it's too early to rant and rave about the removal of caps.
Also CIG is looking for more ways for development money besides ship sales. They need the dough.
Another thing, how do people win at this game? Is there an end goal? Even if one person buys all of the ships and possible variances of those ships, @Xist ?, what has he won? And yeah, if I could afford to move up to the next level of Concierge I would. But I will not have won anything. Yeah I don't have to grind away to get this ship or those upgrades, but I still didn't win. With the cap removed any one can start to stock up in credits at their own discretion and pace. If some has $1,000.00 a month that they can spend getting credits let them, it won't matter. If some one can only afford or wants to spend $5.00 a month same thing.

I guess, for me anyway, the only obvious thing to say is...
"There Is No Win in Star Citizen".

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
Well said. You made some obvious points and I agree that's it's too early to rant and rave about the removal of caps.
Also CIG is looking for more ways for development money besides ship sales. They need the dough.
Another thing, how do people win at this game? Is there an end goal? Even if one person buys all of the ships and possible variances of those ships, @Xist ?, what has he won? And yeah, if I could afford to move up to the next level of Concierge I would. But I will not have won anything. Yeah I don't have to grind away to get this ship or those upgrades, but I still didn't win. With the cap removed any one can start to stock up in credits at their own discretion and pace. If some has $1,000.00 a month that they can spend getting credits let them, it won't matter. If some one can only afford or wants to spend $5.00 a month same thing.

I guess, for me anyway, the only obvious thing to say is...
"There Is No Win in Star Citizen".
AFAIK the only thing I've "won" is the ability to share ships with my corp mates.

I don't think it's possible to actually win Star Citizen... All you can do is trade money for time -- by spending money, you reduce the time it takes in game to farm/maintain and you help enable CIG to build the game in the first place. Whether you're buying ships or buying UEC, I'm all for people being able to do it at whatever level they think is right for them.

It seems like a win for everyone IMO as long as the people doing the spending are fine with losing all they have spent.

I've definitely heard people's concern(tm) that the economy is being ruined. However, given that there IS no economy right now, I think it's a little too early for anyone to actually worry about that. Many of the people who are worried about that are also worried about everything else in the world that isn't under their direct control (in other words, nobody should care that they're worried about it).

I'm an optimist and I choose to hope that CIG wants this game to work and they'll figure out a way to make it work in spite of selling huge amounts of UEC to people. After all, there are some really smart people there, and it's not like this is a difficult problem to solve if they put their minds to it.

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
AFAIK the only thing I've "won" is the ability to share ships with my corp mates.

I don't think it's possible to actually win Star Citizen... All you can do is trade money for time -- by spending money, you reduce the time it takes in game to farm/maintain and you help enable CIG to build the game in the first place. Whether you're buying ships or buying UEC, I'm all for people being able to do it at whatever level they think is right for them.

It seems like a win for everyone IMO as long as the people doing the spending are fine with losing all they have spent.

I've definitely heard people's concern(tm) that the economy is being ruined. However, given that there IS no economy right now, I think it's a little too early for anyone to actually worry about that. Many of the people who are worried about that are also worried about everything else in the world that isn't under their direct control (in other words, nobody should care that they're worried about it).

I'm an optimist and I choose to hope that CIG wants this game to work and they'll figure out a way to make it work in spite of selling huge amounts of UEC to people. After all, there are some really smart people there, and it's not like this is a difficult problem to solve if they put their minds to it.
Well said here. Winning in Star Citizen means having fun, it isn't defined by a universal metric such as unlocking all ships and having X amount of in-game credits.

Also thanks for the compliment! :D

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
Great video. Thanks.

The Cap was removed because the VD store has been closed and we are now allowed to 'Sell Back' those items that we purchased over the years.
Many of these items we can no longer use (weapons on a ship - hardpoint changes etc)
This would not have been possible with the Max Cap....
Personally, I believe that prior to the game launching, there will be a Max Cap applied. I could be wrong.

Pay-to-Win --------- Win What?

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Awesome vid! I'd like to trade my UEC for one of my concept packs in buybacks but alas they won't let me... my OCD though has been kicking in to get my UEC to a nice even number... still think buying UEC in large volume is a poor use of funds compared to pledging for concepts and LTI packs.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
Until CIG makes an official statement as to why the cap was removed, I refuse to get bent out of shape over this.
According to unofficial concierge support in spectrum chat, Seung is right.

The caps were totally ineffective anyway - many people have multiple alt accounts, and even people with only one account can buy unlimited ships to sell for UEC some time after launch.

When it became useful to get rid of the outside-of-game UEC shop, they needed to refund people all the UEC they had spent, which put quite a lot of people way over the UEC limit. (Another example of how the previous limit was not effective).

Given that there were then many people with one account with far more than the "limit", and given that everyone who actually understood the state of UEC at that point recognized that there wasn't really a cap anyway, they decided to publicly do away with the fiction of a cap.

Forgot your password?