Video: Star Citizen Today - Jan 4th

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Thanks for the video, really liked the pointers to other stuff going on with other parts of the community like the vids, that new Youtuber Boardgamer (they must like skateboarding or something) looks promising, always good to get new talent like BG some exposure you know how they can struggle to get views.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Issues like this won't effect me nearly as much simply because my piloting skills are so low that no matter what the bugs my be, I manage to TEST land whatever ship I fly upon lifting off. Good thing for me that I have fun laughing at myself.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Best (i.e., clearest and most concise) info I've found as of this morning regarding the Intel chip flaw:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/03/b...T.nav=top-news

Summary:
1. There are two critical chip bugs/flaws that have been found.
2. Of these two flaws, there is a fix for one, and there currently is not a fix for the other.
3. The one that there is a fix for is the one that affects primarily Intel chips...this is called "Meltdown" and there will be security patches released soon. There is a fear that the fixes will potentially result in cpu slowdowns. Since the fix has to do with using virtual memory, everybody will be affected in one way or another.
4. The other problem is called "Spectre" and it appears to be a fundamental flaw in the way that all current processors are designed. There is no easy fix for this, so just keep calm and carry on!

Phantomoftruth

Space Marshal
Feb 14, 2016
RSI Handle
PhantomofTruth
the chipset issue is Two Part.

Meltdown effects Intel, as it allows access to Kernel memory and is capable of reading the entire physical memory of the target machine. As Tech articles state, Script-kiddie can do this and the most dangerous part of it is how you can spool up a cloud instance, hack that, then access machines within the same physical environment.

Spectre effects universal chip architecture, Intel, AMD, and ARM. This is significantly more difficult to exploit, but cannot be patched and will require a complete chipset architecture redesign.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
LMAO it's like the 2K hysteria all over again... and what happen with that?

erh! let see... mm.. well nothing.... :beers: :beer: :beer: :beers:

Ezz

Space Marshal
Feb 4, 2016
RSI Handle
Pfen
looking forward to the "SC Today" series
Would really enjoy a monthly (weekly?) quick update about community stuff happening .. like the YT Videos or maybe if something interesting was posted in the forum

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77
Where is SOTS?
Hey yeah! We got gypped again. Next thing ya know, I'll have to pump my own gas.

and will require a complete chipset architecture redesign.
Well then, I'm glad I haven't upgraded my pcu and mobo so I can use that sweet looking but currently unusable Optane SSD. I'll be better off waiting a year or two.

Forgot your password?