Video: Top 5 reasons they call Star Citizen a scam

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
[CONCERN] My concern for the 480p upscaled to 720p, posted on the youtube video, still has not been addressed, nearly 10 minutes after the first [CONCERN] was posted.
just out of interest, what device do you watch on? And do you watch Full Screen?

I watch in a window while doing other stuff on screen on a 15" laptop screen 4K i do not need. Even when watching on my tablet the fact it's a 7" screen pulls the point of high def down quite a bit. Yeah, it's a HD screen but when you've got something made for a 20" on a 7" it does a lot of work.

My bride-to-be watches a lotta Youchoob on the 32" TV via a PS3. The quality on the TV? Even when it says it's HD, it doesn't look close to the upscaled DVD's I watch when she's not at home (because she always got Youchoob on, not because the DVD's are risky) and its probbably because the 'Choob is primarily for smaller screens and the people creating the output may optimize for that whereas my DVD's are made for tellies. (and my bandwidth is shite)

If you are watching stuff online you have to live with the fact that 80% of the viewer-ship doesn't give a shit about the quality and 70% of the creators can't afford to blow a grand on an all-sining-all-dancing camera just so you can see their skin and facial hair in 16k definition. ;)

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
@Montoya, one of the things I really like most about your channel is that its about Star Citizen, but not about Star Citizen game play. It's about controversy, issues, and celebrating accomplishments. You do it pretty well. Thanks.

For my part, I have no issues with the length of time it is taking to do this game. None whatsoever. I estimated years ago it would be a 10 year project, and I still believe it's going to be a 10 year project. About money, CIG is currently earning around 35 million/year +- some change. That is a bit of momentum, and that's not going to vanish overnight. We'll see lots of warning signs if they start to run out of money, a long time before it's a surprise.

Then there's the last item, #5 on your list, which also actually ties a lot of the other issues in. It's impossible. That kind of objection is completely laughable. My answer: I'm a software developer, and architect. designer, with 35 years experience. I can say this without a moment's hesitation. 100% of the time there is no such thing as "impossible" in software development.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
doesn't count if you don't include [CONCERN]

My bride-to-be watches a lotta Youchoob on the 32" TV via a PS3. The quality on the TV? Even when it says it's HD, it doesn't look close to the upscaled DVD's I watch when she's not at home (because she always got Youchoob on, not because the DVD's are risky) and its probbably because the 'Choob is primarily for smaller screens and the people creating the output may optimize for that whereas my DVD's are made for tellies. (and my bandwidth is shite)
Used to watch lots of Youchoob on the TV until amazons and googles bickering stopped that. ( Fire TV blocked form Youtube )

And i'm sure you never watch risky DVD's on the TV.

@Montoya, one of the things I really like most about your channel is that its about Star Citizen, but not about Star Citizen game play. It's about controversy, issues, and celebrating accomplishments. You do it pretty well. Thanks.

For my part, I have no issues with the length of time it is taking to do this game. None whatsoever. I estimated years ago it would be a 10 year project, and I still believe it's going to be a 10 year project. About money, CIG is currently earning around 35 million/year +- some change. That is a bit of momentum, and that's not going to vanish overnight. We'll see lots of warning signs if they start to run out of money, a long time before it's a surprise.

Then there's the last item, #5 on your list, which also actually ties a lot of the other issues in. It's impossible. That kind of objection is completely laughable. My answer: I'm a software developer, and architect. designer, with 35 years experience. I can say this without a moment's hesitation. 100% of the time there is no such thing as "impossible" in software development.
I agree with you that because it was a highly successful kickstarter and crowed funded project its going to be 10 to 12 years before release. This has everything to do with the fact that the funding grew the project well beyond the initial scope which broke the initial working game engine as well as caused large growing pains they attempted to solve by outsourcing. I would even go so far as to say it wasn't until alpha 2.0 or a little later when they realized the full scope and truly started working on this game before that it was all tech demos and planning. The funding can become an issue but I do believe Chris when he said they have more then enough funding currently to take the project to completion. The other nice thing is this kind of project is a perfect fit for someone like Chris who is always thinking about the next thing and is never done as it allows the game to continue to evolve and grow where the development of a standalone game has to reach a release point.

Last edited:

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
just out of interest, what device do you watch on? And do you watch Full Screen?

I watch in a window while doing other stuff on screen on a 15" laptop screen 4K i do not need. Even when watching on my tablet the fact it's a 7" screen pulls the point of high def down quite a bit. Yeah, it's a HD screen but when you've got something made for a 20" on a 7" it does a lot of work.

If you are watching stuff online you have to live with the fact that 80% of the viewer-ship doesn't give a shit about the quality and 70% of the creators can't afford to blow a grand on an all-sining-all-dancing camera just so you can see their skin and facial hair in 16k definition. ;)
I typically watch at work on my 1080p laptop screen (and not on the 1920x1200 monitors connected to said laptop).

Even at the upscaled 720p, Montoya's videos look like they were recorded in 2008. ;)

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I typically watch at work on my 1080p laptop screen (and not on the 1920x1200 monitors connected to said laptop).

Even at the upscaled 720p, Montoya's videos look like they were recorded in 2008. ;)
Before the Global Rescission? Halcyon days!

doesn't count if you don't include [CONCERN]
[CONCERN]THURTEEMF[/CONCERN]

Forgot your password?