wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
A question to fellow petrolheads: Volvo V60 R-Design Hybrid (197hp + 14hp) or Toyota RAV4 Selection Hybrid AWD (222hp)?

Why I am comparing sport station wagon to the compact SUV? -- those are the only interesting options offered by my car lease provider; I have to select my next vehicle, and I'm not interested in any sedans, no matter of the size, nor any station wagons smaller than V60 or Ford Mondeo Estate (Fusion SW) .

Screenshot 2020-07-02 at 14.50.28.png

Screenshot 2020-07-02 at 16.41.13.png

Derkerter

Space Marshal
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Derkerter
As much as I love volvo, the Rav4 is better in my eyes. Toyota's safety and semi-automation suite is quite impressive. I have a 2020 corolla hybrid, and I abuse the snot out of the lane tracing and auto-cruise over my 100-mile daily commute, which is standard on every toyota.
(But dammit why does europe get all the nicer things. No volvo mild-hybrids in America, and we typically only get the lowest engine type hybrid. You guys also have a 2.0L corolla hatch hybrid which I'd love.)

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Volvos used to have a reputation for being a tank. Not sure about now. You can never go wrong with a toyota though. It has more HP and AWD? That would be a plus for me. It also looks like it has more ground clearance, which is good if you find yourself going off paved road and stuff.

Get the Rav 4

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Meh all modern cars are unreliable overcomplicated crap.

My newest car turned 20 this year! My daily drive, built like a tank reliable as an old diesel locomotive, can tow a house, boot like a van, cheap as chips to buy and run! (You can buy a nice one over in Yankland for around $4000).

Amusingly I've been learning my lesson and evey car I've bought since my first one has been older and older. Lol!!
mlfront.jpg

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
Thanks for the definition. I know what it is, was gently ribbing you for not using US approved verbage. :love:
English is not my native language, and believe or not, I've never learned it in any school nor on any course. I've been self-learning it by watching British and US TV and movies, reading magazines, and while working and serving abroad for over 20 years in many countries, incl. places where English is used as the primary or secondary language. That's why my English is a mix of American, South African and British ; )

I'm always trying to use local pronunciation, idioms and spelling, but it's hard to do that on the Internet 🤪
---- Cheers! ; )

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
English is not my native language, and believe or not, I've never learned it in any school nor on any course. I've been self-learning it by watching British and US TV and movies, reading magazines, and while working and serving abroad for over 20 years in many countries, incl. places where English is used as the primary or secondary language. That's why my English is a mix of American, South African and British ; )

I'm always trying to use local pronunciation, idioms and spelling, but it's hard to do that on the Internet 🤪
---- Cheers! ; )
Good for you for learning more than one language, I barely get by with a single one. I see that you aren't in the US but the tongue in cheek joke was that you aren't conforming to US customs like everyone in the world is supposed to do 😝

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
Good for you for learning more than one language, I barely get by with a single one. I see that you aren't in the US but the tongue in cheek joke was that you aren't conforming to US customs like everyone in the world is supposed to do 😝
I never do that :glorious: ; )
Except for when I work for [ self-censored ] :o7:

Last edited:

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
Yes, my Camry is 20 years old and going strong. Just do the preventive maintenance and you can drive Toyota's forever.
I have a 2011 Corolla that maybe has 45k miles on it. My gf just got a "new" used car and she asked me if I was going to get a new car at some point. I was like, "why?". Barring an accident this thing will probably last through to the heat death of the universe.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
@wmk

The Rav4 FAILED THE MOOSE TEST!

View: https://youtu.be/VtQ24W_lamY

although I think they are fixing it so I personally wouldn't care much about it.

Do you do any kind of offroading like, ever? I mean going for more than 2 seconds on a dirt road, going fishing, you know, the easy stuff that even a better built sedan can deal with? Then most definitely go for the rav4. The Volvo was built for tarmac and nothing else, if it even senses that a dirt road is nearby, it will lock up its wheels, start shaking in fear and piss itself with coolant.
The Toyota, while the way more blehhh choice in the design department imo, will be a reliable friend, even on rougher roads. I have multiple generations of rav4s around me (colleagues) and they never let them down. Especially the older ones hold up really well, even on rough terrain.
Had a couple of Volvos among the friends, all newer ones as company lease cars, and they were problematic after a year or two. They are nice to look at but can't handle things like parking on the curbs every day for 2 years. The body might be a tank, but everything else underneath is built to.set off the cost of that tankness.
Even though I think the rav4 is a generic kinda ugly plastic toy, I'd still chose that over a Volvo for the peace of mind that it is a Toyota, it should work fine no matter what.
As for safety, they are both big cars with lots of weight. If it's a head on with anything smaller, you will be fine.

Now for some personal rant:
Here (Hungary), Toyota's are the cars I don't ever notice while driving. Thats a good thing, Because they are generally driven by ppl who know how to drive. Except for the Yaris. God I hate those yobbos...
On the other hand, only very bad drivers use Volvos. When I see a man driving one I know it's gonna be stupidly aggressive and inept, like Audi/BMW drivers used to be, just even worse because they have no power or handling to back up their agressive behavior.
If it's a women, which there are more of, she is gonna be totally unpredictable and best to avoid. Just 2 days ago I was almost hit by the biggest suv they make, right on the crosswalk. She was turning left across the crosswalk, came to a sudden halt when she finally saw me and some others crossing, then launched forward and if I don't jump 2 steps ahead, she would have clipped me with her 2 tonne shitbox of ineptitude.
So yeah, I'm not a fan of Volvos these days, but mostly because of the people who drive them. I like the shape but nothing else about them really.

Oh, and Volvo now puts a max speed limiter on their cars so you can't go faster than 112 mph, even when you are legally allowed to so you can't even use the power of that R! I hate this nanny state bullshit with a passion, so Fuck them.

Now, things you should consider:

Have you ever been sea sick or even car sick? do you travel at highway speeds a lot? Do you go long distances rather than short? Do you like cornering flat? Are you more of a snappy, decisive driver than a "coasting along, changing lanes kms ahead of the turn off" kind of guy? Then obviously the car is better than the suv.

Do you have large things to carry? Do you have ppl who will sit in the back regularly? Do you like airy interiors vs snug? Do you live on rough roads, park on curbs and need the ride height? Than Suv is for you.

Tldr: +1 for Rav4 despite the fail.
Even though the Rav4 will feel like a plastic bin on the inside compared to a Volvo, I'd still chose that cos reliable, and awd is a lot more fun on a snowed in / frozen parking lot when you can turn off the driver aids!
(Speaking from experience lol)

Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Just wanted to add that after watching the moose test fail more.closely, I think it handled rather better than the rest. Much less understear, more capable than the others shown. It's rather "light on its feet" I think, which is better than the uncontrollable nose push that the others have shown after the first direction change, despite the excessive slide at the beginning. Still, it shows that it's more off-roady than highway monster.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
VOLVO.. cause it is known for it's reliable, stability and secure driving even when put to the edge in all conditions come dry gravel roads, muddy roads, rain, hail, snow, ice etc. etc...

And Volvo is developed in moose country ha ha... so hit what ever you want and walk away from it 🤪

Tho Toyota is not a bad car at all, I can't say I ever heard they be branded as always reliable..

CHEERS! 🍻

Forgot your password?