Results are only viewable after voting.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
So, I am just now getting back into the miniatures building/painting. I used to own a Tau army and started a Tyranid army, but donated both armies and all of my paints (HUGE MISTAKE ON MY PART) to a local hobby shop cause I had no friends to play with.

How many of you out there are into this hobby? What armies do you have? Show some pics and tell us about some of your favorites models.

I will likely get into the Adeptus Mechanicus and possibly Space Marines this time around.

Reactions: Beerjerker

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
The thing is do you want to be competitive? If so Adeptus Mechanicus are not up there, something like 8 or 9 on the power list. Space marines never get that bad their too popular but choose your chapter it does matter. I would honestly say check the warhammer 40k reddit.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
Inquisition, I play this in a large scale team game hosted at a local Games Workshop store. Not recommended as a first time thing or it being your only army as it really is a support army. That's just my favorite though.

Eldar are still OP as hell and the Adeptus Mechanicus are great.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
The thing is do you want to be competitive? If so Adeptus Mechanicus are not up there, something like 8 or 9 on the power list. Space marines never get that bad their too popular but choose your chapter it does matter. I would honestly say check the warhammer 40k reddit.
I wouldnt say I want to be competitive, but maybe play once a month would be fun. I more enjoy the aspect of building/painting the models over actually playing the game.

Inquisition, I play this in a large scale team game hosted at a local Games Workshop store. Not recommended as a first time thing or it being your only army as it really is a support army. That's just my favorite though.

Eldar are still OP as hell and the Adeptus Mechanicus are great.
I saw the inquisition as possibly being fun to play! (I love the Eisenhorn books)

This always seems to be the end result of these kinds of games. I think its due to the huge single block time investment as its hard to step away and then come back to at a future point in time to resume the match.
It's true. That's primarily why I dropped the hobby a few years back. And boy do I regret it! So much money and time and effort put into those little things! I learned my lesson, no more getting rid of shit. Time to become a hoarder!

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
So, I am just now getting back into the miniatures building/painting. I used to own a Tau army and started a Tyranid army, but donated both armies and all of my paints (HUGE MISTAKE ON MY PART) to a local hobby shop cause I had no friends to play with.

How many of you out there are into this hobby? What armies do you have? Show some pics and tell us about some of your favorites models.

I will likely get into the Adeptus Mechanicus and possibly Space Marines this time around.

(says the guy that used to play MtG)

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
IMG_20180321_183406.jpg

I tried to get back into 40k awhile ago, and still am, but at a very slow pace now. Kind of flooded my home office with little grey plastic men, and made it hard to pretend I was working.

I'd say find a really kewl model you are stoked about, and then build an army around that, because collecting and painting is 90% of the hobby. 5% is actual game play and dice rolling, and the last 5% is coping with every army other than yours being over powered and broken.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus

(says the guy that used to play MtG)
You are like....the biggest nerd out of anyone here....

I SAW HIM! I think I might actually get him here pretty soon. Just to sit on my computer desk.

View attachment 10142

I tried to get back into 40k awhile ago, and still am, but at a very slow pace now. Kind of flooded my home office with little grey plastic men, and made it hard to pretend I was working.

I'd say find a really kewl model you are stoked about, and then build an army around that, because collecting and painting is 90% of the hobby. 5% is actual game play and dice rolling, and the last 5% is coping with every army other than yours being over powered and broken.

Got this guy ^ coming in the mail currently. I am more or less infatuated with Tech Priests and the Adeptus Mechanicum. The Priests of Mars book trilogy is probably my favorite book series out of the Black Library so far.

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
I'm getting back into 40k as well!

History:
I started with Tau back in 2010. It was painful. Every battle I fought was a close victory. I'd either win by a single point or win by technicallity or some BS like that. I liked Tau but I wanted more fun.

I sold that army and picked up orks. Specifically shooty orks cuz why not? It was fun. I magnetized everything. 180 boys with both arms and the torso magnetized, 2 deff dreads and 3 killa kanz magnetized, and 15 lootas / burna boyz all with magnets.

Won every game I played with the orks too. Had everything I wanted and swarmy. Accuracy was only there because of the volume of shots. It was fun to win but there was no challenge to anything.

So I sold that army and picked up Imperial Guard. I think they had a name change since then. I played infantry guard backed by a couple dozen heavy weapons crews. I has 2 chimera transport tanks and 2 manticore missile tanks but nothing else.

I didn't do well with guard. I lost 60% of my games but more importantly I had fun. I had fun seeing terminators just get mowed down by my infantry and then watching my friends fail their charges. I had fun not knowing if my missiles would split or even miss their targets. I yad fun just playing.

I sold that army a long time ago because everyone stopped playing 40k and started playing Warmachine, so I did too.

Now 2018, I'm planning on buying space marines. Everyone knows how to fight against them since everyone has them, so I'm going to run them like a tank spamming guard player and see how I do. Perhaps me running them differently than everyone else will give me an edge and make things fun.

It's important to have an army that you can have fun losing just as much as you can have fun winning. Since it's 90% painting anyways, you might as well pick an army you'd want to paint. I like painting tanks and dreadnaughts. Mistly tanks though, ha.

Frad in'Ryth

Vice Admiral
May 25, 2017
RSI Handle
FradinRyth
Back in the late 90s I played a couple of games of 40k borrowing a friends army, had fun and like that it was more complex than Battletech. Then, I looked at how much it was going to cost to get into it on my own.... Fast forward to last summer and I picked up the Dark Imperium box set and a local buddy picked up the Eldar Star Collecting box. I painted the primaris marines and decided I wanted to play T'au. Fast forward to now and I've got the start to a T'au army (fully decked out it might hit 1,500 points), the primaris from the box set, and just picked up a bunch of Deathwatch from Ebay.
Still haven't played a game since coming back to it last summer but I'm enjoying the hell out of getting into airbrushing and painting the models. At my local GW store the regulars are always looking for bigger games or 2v2. I talked to the owner about doing a progression series for us newbies and he's said there's something in the works, that's been 9 months now. They're doing all the Age of Sigmar stuff atm and then onto Kill Team so I suspect it may be a while still.

I'm really looking forward to Kill Team though since time the games are supposed to be quicker. I was invited to a Kill Team event early August so at least after that I can't say I haven't played with my plastic army men ;)

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
Back in the late 90s I played a couple of games of 40k borrowing a friends army, had fun and like that it was more complex than Battletech. Then, I looked at how much it was going to cost to get into it on my own.... Fast forward to last summer and I picked up the Dark Imperium box set and a local buddy picked up the Eldar Star Collecting box. I painted the primaris marines and decided I wanted to play T'au. Fast forward to now and I've got the start to a T'au army (fully decked out it might hit 1,500 points), the primaris from the box set, and just picked up a bunch of Deathwatch from Ebay.
Still haven't played a game since coming back to it last summer but I'm enjoying the hell out of getting into airbrushing and painting the models. At my local GW store the regulars are always looking for bigger games or 2v2. I talked to the owner about doing a progression series for us newbies and he's said there's something in the works, that's been 9 months now. They're doing all the Age of Sigmar stuff atm and then onto Kill Team so I suspect it may be a while still.

I'm really looking forward to Kill Team though since time the games are supposed to be quicker. I was invited to a Kill Team event early August so at least after that I can't say I haven't played with my plastic army men ;)
When is Kill Team supposed to come out? I could see myself getting fooled into starting up a dozen new unfinished projects if I could start them out on a smaller scale...

Frad in'Ryth

Vice Admiral
May 25, 2017
RSI Handle
FradinRyth
When is Kill Team supposed to come out? I could see myself getting fooled into starting up a dozen new unfinished projects if I could start them out on a smaller scale...
The pre-order is this Saturday iirc. If I had to guess the whole box set (two kill teams (about 10 guys each I think) and some sweet new terrain plus the rules, tokens, dice, etc) will be 160 just like the Dark Imperium box set was.

Reactions: Beerjerker
Forgot your password?