Warthog Hotas Cougar Add-on

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
After looking at the Black Hog B-Explorer item...and my wife catching me doing so, I was told to find a less expensive way to add on additional controls.

After looking, and since I already use the Warthog HOTAS system, I decided to add on the Cougar controllers. These come in a 2 pack, with each one with 20 one press buttons and 4 rocker buttons for a total of 40 buttons and 8 rocker buttons.

After looking at the space on my desk, I then decided that I needed to mount these somehow. I could have mounted them to my monitor stand, but I decided I was going to make a Control board for my HOTAS System.

I am still in the process of building it, but here are some of the in progress photos.

The first is the the base-plate I made for the throttle. The extended sides are where the risers for the control board will attach. It's made of 1/4 inch plywood with maple veneer.

The next is the roughed out control board, then with the Cougars test fit. This and the risers will be made out of red oak. This was done using a router. I should have done this slightly differently, and use a dovetail bit for the exit for the USB cords. I used a 1/4 inch round-over bit to smooth the edges a bit.

Finally, I have a mockup/pattern for the riser. I've made this one out of some cheap pine I had lying around after making birdhouse kits for my nephews. I need to make sure the angles are small enough so the system does not obstruct by monitors, but large enough to keep the buttons close to my hand for use.. Once I am satisfied with the angle, I will trace the pattern on the oak plank I have and cut them out. I will use the same 1/4 round over bit to smooth the edges. I will also add in a small brace to help keep things square between the two risers.

After all that's one, i will assemble using wood glue and screws, then finish with a hand rubbed stain.

For those thinking of doing something similar and that this will be cheaper then the B-explorer...it won't be, but it will have more controls for you. This is especially true if you don't have any woodworking tools. I am unfortunate enough to have inherited most of my dad's tools after he passed, including a shopsmith, and I already had the router, bits, and chisels.

If you want to make yours out of oak, you will need power tools. If you want to use hand tools, get pine or another softer wood. Better yet, make a plywood back and use 1x1 or 1/2x1/2 inch trim to frame out your control board.

I will add additional photos as I move forward in the build

Attachments

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
That looks like something I would just 3d print a neat holder for, but would spend so much time modeling to get right. Neat idea though, the wood should look great when done!
This is absolutely something you could use a 3d printer for. If you have metalworking tools and skills, you could just as easily make the control backer board, baseplate and risers out of sheet metal, aluminum plate, etc.

I don't have a 3d printer, and I love working with my hands on projects like this. I am not very good at it, but I still like doing it... I am sure that others would put all sorts of hand carving on the bezel, their lines would be a lot straighter, etc.

Oh, the first side of the control board took me about 5 hours to get right...the second half took me an hour since I already knew the issues I would be facing

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
This is absolutely something you could use a 3d printer for. If you have metalworking tools and skills, you could just as easily make the control backer board, baseplate and risers out of sheet metal, aluminum plate, etc.

I don't have a 3d printer, and I love working with my hands on projects like this. I am not very good at it, but I still like doing it... I am sure that others would put all sorts of hand carving on the bezel, their lines would be a lot straighter, etc.

Oh, the first side of the control board took me about 5 hours to get right...the second half took me an hour since I already knew the issues I would be facing
This is a great idea! It doesn't even need to be perfect just usable!. And even if it doesn't quite look the way you like, call it a prototype and make another.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
One other thing that could do this and that is a laser cutting machine.

I know there is a person who builds models of SC ships with a 3D printer and a laser wood cutter. By layering some wood cutouts, this could also be used to generate a bezel, riser, and baseplate for these controls. As far as I know, there is no current product out there for this application. Maybe someone out there could make some kits to sell (free business idea to you all, but I reserve the right to produce my own version for personal use and for gifts to friends)

Reactions: Vavrik

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
One other thing that could do this and that is a laser cutting machine.

I know there is a person who builds models of SC ships with a 3D printer and a laser wood cutter. By layering some wood cutouts, this could also be used to generate a bezel, riser, and baseplate for these controls. As far as I know, there is no current product out there for this application. Maybe someone out there could make some kits to sell (free business idea to you all, but I reserve the right to produce my own version for personal use and for gifts to friends)
I used slats to embed mine. I had to embed them because I use 2 8" tablets behind the MFDs, but you don't have to embed them, you also can screw them on a flat surface.

version 0:
1547709280306.png

version 1:
1547709150516.png

version 2:

Last edited:

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
added in the roughed out risers, the shaped risers, and the riser assembly. I am using a mortise and tennon joint for the riser brace.

I also have everything held in place to make sure everything fits. Looks good. Now to break down, sand, assemble, then stain

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Thinking about it, I should probably have made a cutout in the riser assemble to give the control board a place to nest into. Unfortunately, that would also entail a major design change to the way the risers are angled and the distance the risers travel from the throttle before angling up, so I won't be able to change this build. The major work is the control board, so Instead of gluing that piece to the risers, I till just screw it together. This way, if I want to make a change later, the biggest part of the build can be removed and brought over to the new build.

Last edited:

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Final product

Once I get slightly longer screws, I will be attaching the base plate to the bottom of my Warthog, making it all one unit. This adds a lot of extra control ability without having to go to the keyboard or really even lift your hands off the throttle. Things like scanning width increase/decrease can be mapped, as well as locking or opening doors, turning on/off weapons/shields/etc.

Small quality of life improvements:
Notch the risers to have the control board sit on it flush. This would require a change to the riser design
Put a small, powered, usb hub on the riser brace, then run a single usb cord to your main hub
Trim some of the weight. while it doesn't rock easily, it can rock a bit. I could also have moved the riser attachment to the middle of the baseplate, making it harder to create a leaver

Overall, I would call this a decent prototype or a piece of functional artwork. I could certainly make some design changes to make it even better, but it's pretty decent for me, and nicely functional. If I was going to turn this into a full fledged product for sale, I would probably make at least 1-2 more prototypes, tweaking the design each time before settling in on it.

If anyone wants to try to make one themselves, just PM me and I will answer any questions, but mostly, it was what looked and felt right, rather then angles, lengths, etc. The pictures I took while making it really tell most of the tale of how I went about it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Well done! The design doesn't have to be too complex, as long as it meets your requirement. That actually looks similar to a yacht control panel we made out of a marine honeycomb core panel.
That's worth looking into too btw once you get the design dialed in.

Gr33nh0use

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Gr33nh0use
wow well done, that is neat as heck!

Forgot your password?