Watching some SC streams kind of makes me sad

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
I just feel like some people have unrealistic expectations of what this game will end up being. Not that I don't think it will be a great game, but rather all the "assumptions" and "possibilities" people project into the project that I just don't see happening, and certainly not for years and years and years. Anyone else kinda feel that way?

There are just some things that *might* have been said in the past that I feel some people cling unto without really looking at the reality of development and perhaps more importantly, what is actually technologically possible.

Personally, my expectations have lowered significantly since I first pledged and at this point I'll just be happy with well a polished sandbox with interesting mechanics and systems that are immersive.

I hear talk about massive space battles and think to myself .... what PC do you plan to participate in said battle on? Not sure one can battle effectively at 0 FPS while their CPU and GPU are melting.
I hear talk about long travel times with "upkeep mechanics" and think to myself .... who wants to play a "walking simulator" in space that they have to quit their day job for to play?
I hear all this theory crafting on potential game mechanics and think to myself .... we're not even close to having the ones that were originally promised.

The progress they've made within the last 2 years has me pumped. Even played a decent amount of 3.8 until the bugs became too irritating and game breaking for me, but I feel so many people are still setting themselves up for major disappointment. Some of the proposed ideas I keep hearing might literally be 10+ years out at this point, if possible at all. It makes me oddly sad listening to all of it. Anyone else?

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I don't doubt there will be a few features missing but they are already way above what i initially felt the game was going to be. people will always have their own idea but that doesnt mean thats where the game is going. Another thing to remember is the money they bank off SQ42 is really going to boost the funding of the sandbox universe. Things also can always be implemented after the game is put in place. The game overall has opened alot of doors for itself technology wise and can continue to improve itself over the next decade after release in technology etc.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
There is some truth to that. Remember, CR has said he wants to take it to the point of realism, then dial it back so that it's fun.

Each streamer and each player will have a different idea of what is fun. Some people really get off on 6-10 hour simulated flights across oceans to far off cities. Others want immediate actions and no distractions to the action. I have no idea how we are going to end up, but I think it will be big enough for most people.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
The game overall has opened alot of doors for itself technology wise and can continue to improve itself over the next decade after release in technology etc.
This. The tools and technology implemented into the engine and showcased at this year's Citizencon has gotten me pumped for the next couple of years. It sucks that a lot of the user interaction and game features have been pushed but honestly they are far easier to implement then art assets, tools, and game engine.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
When the project was concepted it painted a different picture in every single one of the minds of the people who jumped on board.

The finished game will touch on all of those, while being none of them.

This is a problem it's always had, and will always have.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Its part of the problem with selling ships which "require" 70 crew.... the ones needing a dozen are going to be bad enough. I can see an idris with a few fighters taking on a pirate base but 20 frigates and 100 fighters plus whatever support ships taking on the Vanduul probably only in squadron 42.

The game lacks ai big time, it lacks content big time and even worse with only one system there is too much playable space so they will have to force conflict areas with most of the space being forever unexplored or pointless.

Reactions: Scape and Vavrik

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
I just feel like some people have unrealistic expectations of what this game will end up being.
Yes
Personally, my expectations have lowered significantly since I first pledged and at this point I'll just be happy with well a polished sandbox with interesting mechanics and systems that are immersive.
Don't we all and isn't that what people are "clinging" too?

I hear talk about massive space battles and think to myself .... what PC do you plan to participate in said battle on? Not sure one can battle effectively at 0 FPS while their CPU and GPU are melting.
Thats stuff CIG talked about not a year ago? i can't remember the actual source, but they talked about making server meshing very smart so "large battles" or 1 Mio players on one sattion (obvious joke) are possible

I hear talk about long travel times with "upkeep mechanics" and think to myself .... who wants to play a "walking simulator" in space that they have to quit their day job for to play?
I somehow think that long travel times will make the verse more interesting than boring. (if there is enough content available)

I hear all this theory crafting on potential game mechanics and think to myself .... we're not even close to having the ones that were originally promised.
True

The progress they've made within the last 2 years has me pumped. Even played a decent amount of 3.8 until the bugs became too irritating and game breaking for me, but I feel so many people are still setting themselves up for major disappointment. Some of the proposed ideas I keep hearing might literally be 10+ years out at this point, if possible at all.
True
It makes me oddly sad listening to all of it. Anyone else?
Actualy no why should i be sad for others

Reactions: Sayora and Scape

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
If it makes you sad just leave and come back later when you forget you were sad, or when you find yourself wondering whether any interesting improvements have been made. 😄

You can't stop people from wishing something will fulfill their greatest hopes and dreams. As long as the game is in development they will continue to hope and dream beyond reality, and IMO that's fine.

A big reason so many people are so passionate about Star Citizen is they are fools who can't control their own spending, and they've put SO MUCH of their own money into it that they feel like they DESERVE to get what they want. This isn't a problem with Star Citizen, it's a problem with the people who have put so much into it. I find this particularly true among many of the early $10k+ backers, who sadly are among the most toxic and jaded in the community and with whom I've just stopped communicating because honestly it's nobody's fault but their own that they are upset.

Would I like the game to be farther along? Sure. Who wouldn't?

In general I'm *really* happy with the tech they're producing. As a developer myself I understand what they're going through (to some extent; I don't do AAA games) and personally I'd rather see amazing tech with content added later, rather than shitty tech with content that then gets hamstrung for eternity and can never grow beyond its initial shitty shell of a game. (Eve online, anyone?)

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Sometimes I feel I am the only one that entered this with low expectations and a "show me what you got" attitude.

I dont assume shit, all I know is what I see at the moment and the momentum it has.

1000 vs 1000 space battles? Nope.

Show me 100 vs 100 first.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Sometimes I feel I am the only one that entered this with low expectations and a "show me what you got" attitude.

I dont assume shit, all I know is what I see at the moment and the momentum it has.

Be like me, never log in. When you login, all expectations are blown away because you have no idea wtf to expect xD. I logged in recently to show my dad that game and I literally spent 1 hour going back and forth on a tram because I was lost, but I saw so much that was cool to me and everything was new and fresh. When you dive head long into a developed game, you are going to get burnt out of bullshit fairly quickly. Steam EA made this prevalent to me really really fast. When shit is in development, you sprinkle your time in the game to see big updates and that is really it. Otherwise everything will dig away at you until you implode from wanting and never getting, because patience isn't in the gamers favor when playing a game being developed.

When people can't play the game, they end up playing other games. Different games get released and they end up forgetting their waiting game exists. Once it releases or gets close, they get hyped up and they dont spend years blowing it out of proportion before they actually get their hands on it. My only expectation for this game is flying around in spaceships with friends blowing shit up and some fps combat. I didn't even know ground vehicles were going to be implemented.

The game in its present state is not close to being finished, so I have no idea why people have expectations that exceed what is actually in the game. A lot of talk about content being there when it is not is unrealistic. The game has to finish its mechanics first before it even touches content. You can't build a finished product when you are missing tools. Content is going to be the very last thing. When playing games of this nature, if you expect or even want content, you are going to have a bad time when you get bored out of making shit up just to entertain yourself and honestly its the fault of the players that burn themselves out. No one pissed and moaned about content being released for games you couldn't even play because development didn't release the game for you to test back then. Games got released and we played fully finished products none the wiser that those games even existed in development for years. People seriously need to stop diving into this game and take a massive break. TEST itself plays all games imaginable and you will probably have more fun and less stress diving into playing other games with TEST then you would ticking the days for something to drop in SC. I don't even know what was dropped at CitCon until I looked at the website.

Hilarious enough my dad thinks this game hasn't made any progress until I went to the website and pointed out over 30 ships have been released, because "no progress". You'd be surprised how far this game has actually come along if you ignore it for a few months.

Also, if anyone has any right to complain. It's Redeemer ship owners so :P

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

it will be interesting to see how many players/ships they can get into a space battle. Especially when you look at games like Battlefield with their 64 player max per map and Planetside 2 that allows 2000 players per map but starts to get very laggy/ghosting when more than 80 players are in the same area.

Reactions: Sayora

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo

This is pretty much how I've viewed the project from the start. I even spent a nice chunk of change on the game knowing full well that the project had the potential to burn to the ground with nothing for me to show for it. I pledged that money because it's a game I want to see come to fruition, not because I feel entitled to it.

Outside of the bugs, 3.8 was incredible for someone like me who probably hasn't really logged on since 2.8'ish. Area 18 for instance is absolutely beautiful and makes me feel like I'm smack dab in the middle of Blade Runner. Loreville very much has that industrial/junk yard feel.

The only thing that is really holding me back from making it a "main" game -as is- atm is the lack of game loops. Once more game mechanics are added outside of mining and cargo running, I suspect I'll probably be maining the game regardless of current scale.

Reactions: Sayora and Bambooza

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
There is only really one streamer I watch regularly and thats HC Vertigo.

As for expectations, there is never going to be massive space battles, 80 players on a ship, hundreds of people fighting over resources etc.

Its going to be pretty much like we are now, but with more ships, persistence, and different ways to earn cash.

Reactions: Sayora

Will C.

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2017
RSI Handle
Mute_01
I have over 10k in this game. My mindset has always been whatever happens, happens. It doesn't effect my life in any way. I'm here to have fun and blow people up, mine, etc. I know people that have 3 ships and constantly complain about everything. Most people that are a little overly passionate about what happens in SC are probably like that in other facets of life. I really never did believe that we would see 1000s of ships fighting at this fidelity. I have thousands of hours logged in SC already and can easily step away for months and check back in later. I like a lot of the things they have been trying to do with limited staff for the size and scope of what they want. In the end we all make our own fun and have different expectations of what we would like to have i'll ride this shit show to the end, whether or they run out of money or release a playable MMO for many years to come. Not all but some people including streamers and average joe's shouldn't get angry whether you have 20k or 45 dollars in a hobby. Have fun smoke a J and just play baby.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
Honestly I got into the game thinking it would be an MMO version of Freelancer. That's pretty much all I've ever hoped it would be. I've developed a few expectations along the way, that's only natural, but they get adjusted over time as well. Prime example is potential PvP. Early on it was presented as being a slider controlled by the player as to how often you interact with other players, limiting possible forced PvP. Now there are law mechanics and relative safe space. Not what I went in expecting but they came up with a reasonable compromise. So I adjusted my expectations. It's ok to want to see certain things but you have to be realistic and accept the fact that they are not going to be able to please 100% of the people 100% of the time and for some things you may not be one of the people who see it end up exactly the way you want it to be.

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
I got into SC thinking it would be an MMO version of Wing Commander: Privateer. That's what I've been waiting for since 1993.

The only thing that has me worried is the apparent inability of CIG to get the physics grids working right. When boxes keep falling though the deck and we seem to be no closer to having the snub fighters and other ship docking mechanics, it worries me a little that this will be a bridge too far.

However, if I can fly around as a trader, mercenary, explorer or pirate with buddies, i'll be satisfied. Time will tell.

Reactions: Sayora and Bambooza
Forgot your password?