Welp, there goes Privateering a fleet from NPCs

Ezz

Space Marshal
Feb 4, 2016
RSI Handle
Pfen
I thought about a System that raises the respawn time by a lot the more stolen versions of your ship are still active in the verse. (1 stolen ship in the verse: 24h respawn, 2 in the verse: 4 days, 3 versions of the ships in the verse: 1 month) If one of the stolen versions get destroyed the respawn time decreases obviously. That way it would suck to give a ship to your friends (get it stolen by a friend so you both have it) , the ships just disappear if they get destroyed, and it makes sense to hire Bounty Hunters to destroy the stolen versions of your ship.

StdDev

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 16, 2017
RSI Handle
StdDev
So?... with these plans it just takes longer... steal a ship, strip it of assets, and scrap the hull. You will get some UEC for it. Do this enough times and you buy the ship you want... and its "legally" yours.
This mechanic will limit the number of "rare" ships in game, which probably is a good thing.

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
So?... with these plans it just takes longer... steal a ship, strip it of assets, and scrap the hull. You will get some UEC for it. Do this enough times and you buy the ship you want... and its "legally" yours.
This mechanic will limit the number of "rare" ships in game, which probably is a good thing.
I was thinking of this, do it enmass with a reclaimer, take the good parts and just toss the ship into the grinder then sell the scrap.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I understand and totally accept that any player ship should not be able to be retained due to insurance fraud

But hostile NPC ships? The first ship I capture from a pirate is going to be one I want to keep and occasionally fly myself.

I don't expect to be able to keep Vanduul or other alien ships as they are built for other species with totally different physiology hence the Espiria line of modified replicas for human use. It'd be like trying to steal the gills off a fish and expecting to be able to breathe underwater.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
I just hope they introduce a believable in-universe game mechanic to explain the need for this. Something Like how kill-codes can be transmitted by the manufacturer that will disable ships that were reported stolen. If that is part of it, then I am okay with that approach.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
That is troubling but it has always been obvious that this exploit needs to be addressed. I likewise don't see why it should affect ships stolen from NPCs, so we'll have to wait and see. I think though if under no circumstances oyu get to keep the ship, I would look for another profession. Maybe bounty-hunting off a 600i? Have to wait and see.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Note that this also throws out the possibility of stealing and repairing alien and rare UEE ships (a la F8 Lightning).

I think it's a pretty stupid design decision. I get that CIG is trying to combat insurance fraud, but it should be relatively easy to implement a system that, similar to irl insurance, punishes people that lose ships more often.

Get a ship stolen once a week? Wow bad luck mate. Get a ship stolen once per day? Okay now you're waiting an extra X hours to get a replacement, and your cargo/upgrade premiums went up.

Stealing a ship, changing out the spaceship VIN, and getting some black market insurance on it to spoof it always sounded fun.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Its an interesting turn of events. For those interested here is the thread in spectrum

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/insurance-and-cheating-the-system

Prior to Will weighing in on this subject it was mentioned that it would be possible to change the hull id with a high cost item which would then in turn give you the ship. Prior to that it was understood that ships secured by less then legal ways would be uninsured and thus lost if destroyed, but to have Will say that they will not even be summoned if you land at a station seems troublesome. Especially when it goes against the FAQ regarding the ability to purchase new Hull ID's for stolen ships.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/insurance-and-cheating-the-system/916943

Chigger has also created a message in Calling All Dev's that should be upvoted so that we can get more clarification on this subject.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/1/thread/calling-all-devs-january-questions-thread/923343

When you claim on a ship, the ORIGINAL ship becomes the property of the insurance company.

One exciting direction we can take this is to have the game police these problems as much as we can. If we treat the claimed upon ship as now belonging to the Insurance Company we can use the same enforcement system as we would for shipjackers in general. So law enforcers will be hostile to that ship, lots of legal ports will treat the ship worse etc.

It also means we have the ability to trigger missions based on it. This isn't something we have currently but the dynamic mission system could use the original ship as the target of a salvage or recovery mission.

Insurance Companies could sell the salvage rights to a ship to a salvage crew who can then strip that ship for parts. if your friend is flying it, they could be collateral damage.

I am all in favor of this as it allows the creation of a lot of content organically.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Stealing a ship, changing out the spaceship VIN, and getting some black market insurance on it to spoof it always sounded fun.
Prior to Will weighing in on this subject it was mentioned that it would be possible to change the hull id with a high cost item which would then in turn give you the ship
The issue as stated a few years ago is similar to and it's fix identical to, the portion of the system that tracks player lawfulness based upon their activity. There is a very advanced concept behind the thing that allows one to gain and remove outlaw status points, and the consequences of having them.

If we're talking about an outlaw stealing form another outlaw, the ship ought to disappear. If we're talking about a lawful person stealing from an outlaw group, or outside UEE space, such as The Outsiders, some Banu slavers, pirates or especially the Vanduul, these are all legit NPC targets that the insurance scam can't emulate, so why would these ships not remain?

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
If we're talking about a lawful person stealing from an outlaw group, or outside UEE space, such as The Outsiders, some Banu slavers, pirates or especially the Vanduul, these are all legit NPC targets that the insurance scam can't emulate, so why would these ships not remain?
Cause the whole immersion point is based on the "no difference" approach between players and npcs ( and also eventually there will be banu players). Also - complications of persisting random ship configurations are limitless :(

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
The problem is insurance giving out a new one so then there are two. The growth in the number of ships would be huge with no way to control it at all. Rare not likely. Sadly it just makes sense unless there is no insurance so still only one.

Forgot your password?