What are your predictions for Citizencon 2022?

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Another virtual citizencon coming this year, we know there are at least 3-4 unannounced ships, but those could simply be variants of existing ships.

Pyro, Nyx and beyond?

Server meshing?

SQ42 new stuff?

What are you predictions for this year?

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Pyro for sure….what with it supposedly coming out in the last quarter or early first next year?

Server Meshing is what I’m personally most interested about since the game is dead in the water without it.

SQ42 stuff would be a bonus. They told me I’ll be able to answer the call in 2016. At this rate my old, arthritic hands will be the ones answering that call.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Another virtual citizencon coming this year, we know there are at least 3-4 unannounced ships, but those could simply be variants of existing ships.

Pyro, Nyx and beyond?

Server meshing?

SQ42 new stuff?

What are you predictions for this year?
I predict something along the lines of:

Pewpewpew kaboom neeeeeeow ba-dooooooom genurgh, kersplat, "I think they broke my watch!" dududududu booooooooom!

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Thinking it might be a light version of 2021. With no keynote to hold peoples attention, it will have to stand on the merits of the other presentations or whatever marketing hooks they hang out there.

@JakeAcappella made some statements about it at the PNW Bar Citizen; Not to expect much from this year, but that Citcon 2023 was already in planning, and they "intend to go all out". No details of course, but he was really frackin' excited about whatever he couldn't tell us.

There was a dev comment recently about a new variant of an existing ship, and while the tease is interesting so far the track record on that line of thought has not resulted in any of my money transferring.. i.e. "Cutlass Steel.. wtf?.. nope."

Would like to see more ships in the Cutlass/Freelancer class, maybe a medium salvager..(probably not for a couple more years, will sell well) and of course there will be a BIG SHIP for those of us who have more wealth than wisdom...

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I still think there is room for a new three-man scout craft, intended for stealth, extended endurance (range) and some torp capability. Not seeing the loves for small teams. Just 'cause I want one doesn't mean CIG will make one but Aegis is a perfect fit for a triple tubed S9 machine intended to fill the armed scout role. Oversized Eclipse is what I want.

What I think we'll get? The Apollo is near top of my list of I'm not surprised. Also thinking the X1s may appear for quick cash and if they really want a splash for cheap, it's about TITANSUIT time.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
The only thing I'm currently even mildly interested in is progress on server meshing and growth with server population caps. To me, nothing else is as important as that. If it doesn't work, then our money is gone down the drain, unless you only want to play SQ 42.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
The only thing I'm currently even mildly interested in is progress on server meshing and growth with server population caps. To me, nothing else is as important as that. If it doesn't work, then our money is gone down the drain, unless you only want to play SQ 42.
what he said

SC is only a toy until this shit happens

Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I expect the repeat of 2021, with maybe a little bit more fluff and less tangible news. More coverage of Pyro stuff, surely some ships, and a short presentation telling us literally nothing new on server meshing and all that tech that would mean actual progress. I'll still gonna be disappointed even with low expectations like this.

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
Seems likely: More of the assets and systems being completed for Squadron 42, out of context so as to not spoil the story. I'd really love to hear how near CIG feel SQ42 is to completion, and whether the remaining work seems to be straightforward, or whether it requires existing assets and systems to be significantly reworked. I wonder if there's any chance at all of them saying when they expect to release it, but I'm not holding my breath. I think we will definitely see something of Pyro - it really ought to be out this year, after all. And yes, something new and big for the distant future, likely announced near the end of the event (so beware of spending all your money too early!?). Sundry other ships that are really variants of existing ones or are needed to make SQ42 feel more alive, but arguably weren't meant to be a player's daily driver in SC and are made available because why not - in something like the way that the Cutlass Steel was.

Possible but don't bet on it: For ships, I'm not expecting the BMM to be ready yet, but I'd love a further update on it, especially on plans for the experience of operating it, populating its shops, and how its gameplay loops work. The Corsair and/or Vulture could be flight ready by Citizencon 2952. The Apollo vehicles would be great, since there can't be much gameplay missing for those now. Nyx and other systems? UI updates to the star map/radar, which we know has been in development for quite a long time now. I'd love to hear some improvement to the inventory UI being announced, as I think it is really inconvenient and user-hostile at the moment.

Wish list but very unlikely: Work starting on the Endeavour or Pioneer (including owning plots of land)?! Server meshing and the persistence system nearing completion? Exploration gameplay being fleshed out? How much (of our) investment in terms of time/money has been and is likely to be discarded as a result of CIG reworking systems, assets, ships and core engine features that have become outdated.

Don't suppose this will ever be highlighted, but it does cause some discomfort* to think about money we invested almost a decade ago having been used to create features that have been replaced.

I'm an ex software dev/current IT architect, working for a big software company. I have some professional understanding of agile development, iteration and incremental improvement in software - though not specifically games. Agile development is absolutely the right way to end up with the product we actually want by the end of the project, instead of the product we were able to imagine back at the start of the project. I appreciate agile is not designed for efficiency so much as for the best end result (so we should hesitate to complain about it being inefficient, up to a point). But what is considered good enough to release commercially seems to be moving on - both in scope and in terms of what is the state of the art vs other games - at a rate that is not much slower than the rate at which SQ42 and SC appear to be moving towards completion. I think CIG are closing the gap between the two, but I'm not currently sure how fast. I'd appreciate some reassurance on that front, before investing more money in the project.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I'd really love to hear how near CIG feel SQ42 is to completion, and whether the remaining work seems to be straightforward, or whether it requires existing assets and systems to be significantly reworked.
I would be beyond disappointed if SQ42 was not over the hump at this stage of development. Level design, gameplay mechanics, motion captures, all that should be done and everybody they moved to Manchester over this past year should be there for the final push.

They better have a lot to show us this year.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Solution: people should not give in to the hype. That way they don't have so far to fall, or they can be completely amazed. (second option is less likely but we never know till we know).
So simple yet so far beyond most peoples ability to actually do it.

Just go in expecting the worst and everything will be fine 😄

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
I thought it was interesting that Jared, on the recent ships update, was somewhat mocking C.R.'s guidance that Citizencon will be kept low-key this year. It made me wonder if there is some internal strife between execs, marketing, and technical staff on progress and how to present Star Citizen and Squadron 42 status at a crucial time (for Squadron 42, IMHO).

Assuming there is an actual Citizencon show, here's what I'm looking for:

1. Squadron 42 gameplay snapshot.
2. NPC Crew AI reveal (showcasing something 'easy' like a copilot or turret gunner).
3. An update from Tony Z on the AI economy model (moving from explaining theory to showcasing early practice).
4. A next new MISC industry ship to fill in the line up more.
5. A next warship, probably alien to fill in the lineup.
6. An updated Anvil Crucible concept.
7. PU game play demo in multiple environments showcasing improvements in caves, running water, and other scenery (pretty pictures to 'prove' that the game world is real).
8. Something on itemization and how item spawning and inventory improvements are now working.
9. Medical game play - taking it to the next level showcasing how it will work on the Endeavor or at least the Apollo more than they have.
10. Salvage game play - still in concept.
11. Pyro
12. Oh....wait....Vanduul....where the hell have they been...how about something on how much of an enemy they are that inspires us to want to be UEE?

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
So simple yet so far beyond most peoples ability to actually do it.
Yeah, I know. A lot of players are going to be hooked by the hype, but it's their hype. It's like fishing. The bait. The hook, and the real in. Often fatal to a fish that fell for the bait. They should own it if they fall for the lure. That's exactly what marketing is used for, making you into a fish.

And yeah I had to learn that the hard way.

Forgot your password?