What do you think survival mechanics will be like?

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
I'd like to put Red Dead Redemption 2 as a reference since it's the last game I played with any "lite" survival mechanics in place and in terms of fidelity it's probably a good comparison - at least as close as we can get with any released titles.

What do you guys think? Will we see some sort of 'RDR2 in space' in terms of survival or will CIG choose more or less realism than that?

We got a glimpse at how our Avatars will react to extreme environments at Citizen Con. But how heavy do you think will the normal day to day routine of eating, sleeping and shitting impact our gameplay?

Will Cutlass owners die of constipation or will we be able to shit on the ground like "Scum"?

And: what would you wish for?

Just curious :)

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I've not played R2D2 but have only seen the mechanics in SC as shown on the Citizen Con video and what I have experienced in game.

Still too early to be able to call it, but we have seen no helmet + no air = dead and the cold effects from Citizen Con which suggest there will also be heat effects.

Other than there being food and drink containers you can already interact with and toilets all over the place, it's just too early to call but the foundations are in place for it being quite the chore.

I'd hate to starve to death like in Minecraft just because some bum-end stole your last packet of HobNobs from your ship while you were down a mine picking up some Unobtainium and inversely I'd hate to contract diphtheria because I'm in a single seat space ship with no interior on a planet without a breatheable atmosphere and was forced to shat my space suit becasue the toilets at the R&R were closed for cleaning as I was passing through and didn't think to wait around five more minutes for them to open so I could drop the kids off at the pool. I owned a Tamagotchi, I know what it's like to digitally die from a pig mound of crap.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I've not played R2D2 but have only seen the mechanics in SC as shown on the Citizen Con video and what I have experienced in game.

Still too early to be able to call it, but we have seen no helmet + no air = dead and the cold effects from Citizen Con which suggest there will also be heat effects.

Other than there being food and drink containers you can already interact with and toilets all over the place, it's just too early to call but the foundations are in place for it being quite the chore.

I'd hate to starve to death like in Minecraft just because some bum-end stole your last packet of HobNobs from your ship while you were down a mine picking up some Unobtainium and inversely I'd hate to contract diphtheria because I'm in a single seat space ship with no interior on a planet without a breatheable atmosphere and was forced to shat my space suit becasue the toilets at the R&R were closed for cleaning as I was passing through and didn't think to wait around five more minutes for them to open so I could drop the kids off at the pool. I owned a Tamagotchi, I know what it's like to digitally die from a pig mound of crap.

Sorry about eating your HobNobs. Was hungry.

I'm looking for the source vids but I do recall them saying that the survival mechanics besides negative status effects like bleeding, injuries, and lack of breathable air would be status perks. Like eating and drinking wouldn't be a requirement but doing so would give you a boost perhaps to stamina and or health recovery. Think like WoW where not eating doesn't hurt you but eating gives you stat bonus. They also said recently that they were not sure if they would require AI to eat and drink and thus if you have them on your crew you would be required to provide them with food and drink.

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
Yeah I never played R2D2 either because that funny robot is allway ahead of us stupid humans anyway. ;)

I feel you brother. Actually dying from not being able to reach a toilet and suffocating from my own shit in my space suit would probably be annoying on the long run. Though it probably would also enter the charts of the most funny deaths in gaming on youtube. CIG didn't offer any details about this daily survival tasks other than it will be lite mechanics. So it's actually a good point to start discussing our exspectations in my opinion. Whether this speculating we have to do at this point will actually match any CIG design is another matter. After all it's still also community driven developement. At least CIGs redesign of no-fly zones made me hopeful again that community opinions matter and I didn't see a lot of discussion about this topic yet. Survival will definitly have an impact on all of us. I'd consider RDR2 a light survival game but still I'm constantly eating stuff in order to not loose to much weight which affects your ability to sustain damage in that game. Those toilets or lack thereof in our ships will quite similarily probably have some meaning in the future. The question is how much do we actually wish this kind of stuff to affect our daily game routine?

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
It's funny, I'm looking forward to this mechanic but I'm also scared of it. It makes me think of The Sims where your Sim needs to eat, sleep, shit, piss and shower. What you eat impacts your Sim, so if you eat too much junk-food you get fat and feel unhealthy, etc. So while I think it's exciting to feel so connected to my character at this deep of a level, I can see this being a determent to the relaxation I'm looking forward to playing this game.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
I, for one, can't wait to have emergent gameplay opportunities such as shitting my pants while vaulting over a box during a gunfight because I was foolish enough to eat a three-day-old TorpedoBurrito. Talk about immersion.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I, for one, can't wait to have emergent gameplay opportunities such as shitting my pants while vaulting over a box during a gunfight because I was foolish enough to eat a three-day-old TorpedoBurrito. Talk about immersion.
Press F to dook.

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
Sorry about eating your HobNobs. Was hungry.

I'm looking for the source vids but I do recall them saying that the survival mechanics besides negative status effects like bleeding, injuries, and lack of breathable air would be status perks. Like eating and drinking wouldn't be a requirement but doing so would give you a boost perhaps to stamina and or health recovery. Think like WoW where not eating doesn't hurt you but eating gives you stat bonus. They also said recently that they were not sure if they would require AI to eat and drink and thus if you have them on your crew you would be required to provide them with food and drink.
That's kinda RDR2 like. I never actually experienced a true starvation or similar heavy impact on my char in that game but the buffs are good enough to keep you cooking and eating all the time regardless so it's actually still a heavy impact on your gaming routines. Will this distract us too much from actual spaceflight or could it be a welcome distraction to pass time in quantum for example? Survival is necessary for immersion in my opinion but it can also be distracting or even annoying.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
That's kinda RDR2 like. I never actually experienced a true starvation or similar heavy impact on my char in that game but the buffs are good enough to keep you cooking and eating all the time regardless so it's actually still a heavy impact on your gaming routines. Will this distract us too much from actual spaceflight or could it be a welcome distraction to pass time in quantum for example? Survival is necessary for immersion in my opinion but it can also be distracting or even annoying.

As long as it's not up to ARK levels.

Reactions: Tealwraith

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
In Dune, the Fremen stillsuits had the ability to process waste and dispose of it after extracting the water for drinking. CIG is making survival oriented armor, maybe they will make a high efficiency survival suit.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I think if you wake up and dont have caffeine before you start work the walking mechanics are going to be tough.

Reactions: Bambooza

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
Too much micromanaging of our characters in addition to what we're going to have to do to upkeep our ships seems like overkill. I like the idea of food giving some sort of benefit like increased stamina or something (or detriment like poor balance and vomiting in your helmet if we're including drinking) but not mandatory. I do however think that what goes in should be mandatory to come back out, there's got to be a downside of some sort to getting a boost to your stamina or healing rate even if it is only for a short time. Plus those space toilets aren't going to use themselves.

Last edited:

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
StarCitizen survival 101: Space = NO AIR. Keep your helmet on.

That has been by far the most deadly survival mechanic for me so far.

And lets say they implement food, and you got to remove your helmet to eat. You won't die from starvation, let me tell you. You will die because you forgot to put your helmet back on when you next EVA.

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
I want to feel a connection with my character, but I don't want to die if I don't poop or eat. I think what they need to do is offer a baseline for character performance and bonuses for eating, drinking, pooping, peeing, showering and sleeping. Maybe I want to do those things before a prison break because I get more HP, stamina etc.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I want to feel a connection with my character, but I don't want to die if I don't poop or eat. I think what they need to do is offer a baseline for character performance and bonuses for eating, drinking, pooping, peeing, showering and sleeping. Maybe I want to do those things before a prison break because I get more HP, stamina etc.
Or is it because you just want to act out dropping the soap in the shower. :P

Forgot your password?