What other items might benefit from in-game insurance?

Op4ArcticFox

Space Marshal
May 9, 2014
RSI Handle
Op4ArcticFox
So we know we can lose ships, but so long as we have then insured it's probably not a huge deal. We also know EVENTUAL perma-death is a thing CR wants to be in the game mechanics. But what about everything else we can own in game? Suits, armor, weapons, ground vehicles, cargo, anything else?
For me, I want to own every space suit and armor there is in the game. Without exception, if they were to sell them for real money I would capture people and sell off their organs in order to afford them all (or like, get a second job or whatever). The point there is I want all the things. However, what happens when we die? Will our characters be lootable to those who just downed us? If we get captured can they strip the nice suits off our character? What about other gear like weapons or grenades or sensors? These things are all theoretically at risk of being lost in game, and some items may be rare enough that replacing it is just not an option. Granted if that is the case then you are a fool for risking it in the first place.
Sorry for the disjointed mess, but what are your thoughts on the whole "what is insurable" theories? What risk/reward would there be if everything was replaceable? At what cost would it make sense to maintain that threat? Other thoughts?

Reactions: Mich Angel

Elmy

Admiral
Feb 20, 2017
RSI Handle
Elmy-pcc
I have been wondering a bit about this myself. Suits, weapons and vehicles. No insurance is mentioned on any of these things. How does that work? If I buy a 50$ vehicle now. Do I loose it permantly in game if it blows up?

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
I actualy don't think you ever lose any personel items shore you will be albe to pick up guns and such but doubt that would be a big issue to get a new one. I mean they don't cost that much... But when it come to gear well it's subject that never have be up in the way you ask so that is why I for the moment asume you wont lose any personel itmes if you die they will respawn with you or be back in your closet, gunrack... storage...etc..

But I just wait and see what they come up with regarding this and take it from there :D

Reactions: Op4ArcticFox

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
I have been wondering a bit about this myself. Suits, weapons and vehicles. No insurance is mentioned on any of these things. How does that work? If I buy a 50$ vehicle now. Do I loose it permantly in game if it blows up?
Well you will be reminded in the game about your insurance in good time so you can pay it if you don't have a LTI on it and it is more going to be a symbolic payment and not very expencive, that 's what been said so far.. but we can't know for shure untill it is in play.. but yes if you do not have insurance and ship explode you will lose it as far as been said... ( object in game are subjects to change, as game is in development )

Elmy

Admiral
Feb 20, 2017
RSI Handle
Elmy-pcc
Well you will be reminded in the game about your insurance in good time so you can pay if if you don't have a LTI on it and it is more going to be a symbolic payment and not very expencive, that 's what been said so far.. but we can't know for shure untill it is in play.. but yse if you do not have insurance and ship explode you will lose it as far as been said... ( object in game are subjects to change, as game is in development )

I got LTI on all my ships. But on vehicles there is no mention of any insurance at all. That's why I don't want to spend 50bucks and find out later that it's all gone when it blows up.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
I got LTI on all my ships. But on vehicles there is no mention of any insurance at all. That's why I don't want to spend 50bucks and find out later that it's all gone when it blows up.
well most vehicle come with a ship as it is now and in that case they have the ship insurance since they are a part of the ship and for Vehicles sold separate they have their own insurans coming with them, ex. like the P-52 that you get with a Constalation but can also by it separate form the Connie

Op4ArcticFox

Space Marshal
May 9, 2014
RSI Handle
Op4ArcticFox
What about the Ursa or Lynx rovers? Several people bought Ursa rovers last they were on sale and there wasn't any mention of insurance there. Hell the same for the Graycat that I am sure all of us own. What if it gets stolen or destroyed?
Then extend the conversation to other items. My ship hull may be insured, but what about everyone on it? The engines, mods, weapons, etc. The cargo and ships/vehicles in it? Are they all also covered? So many unanswered questions, just curious what everyones take on it is, and what it should be.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
What about the Ursa or Lynx rovers? Several people bought Ursa rovers last they were on sale and there wasn't any mention of insurance there. Hell the same for the Graycat that I am sure all of us own. What if it gets stolen or destroyed?
Then extend the conversation to other items. My ship hull may be insured, but what about everyone on it? The engines, mods, weapons, etc. The cargo and ships/vehicles in it? Are they all also covered? So many unanswered questions, just curious what everyones take on it is, and what it should be.
As far as I seen all vehicles that are sold separetly from where they come with a ship normaly like 85X, P-52..etc always come with a base 3 month insurance at least on sales that can vary from anything between 3 - 48 month to LTI some time.
I can not how ever verify that this was the case with the separate sold Ursa or Lynx but it would be strange if they didn't come with insurance.

Elmy

Admiral
Feb 20, 2017
RSI Handle
Elmy-pcc
The Ursa atleast sold for 50usd have no mentioning of any insurance. That's why I wonder. As for any mods/cargo on the ships. As far as I understand. you need to get a insurance for stuff like that. The ship insurance only cover the base hull. Meaning it just cover the original ship equipment and ship of course.

Op4ArcticFox

Space Marshal
May 9, 2014
RSI Handle
Op4ArcticFox
I don't have a screencap as its not on sale any longer, and was only during the limited period of November sales. But as I recall, it was classified as an "add-on" and didn't have a hanger or insurance quote. Just like the Graycat right now does not mention insurance.

Op4ArcticFox

Space Marshal
May 9, 2014
RSI Handle
Op4ArcticFox
There you have it. One of the things (besides lack of money at the time) that kept me from buying it was the uncertainty that there is no insurance on it, so if I lose it, is it gone?

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Ah ok then it is a add on and it most likely will inherit the ships insurance when you chose what ship to add it too, or as said with other upgrades there will be posible to insure separate upgrades so you do not lose them if ship get destroyed.. ;)

Op4ArcticFox

Space Marshal
May 9, 2014
RSI Handle
Op4ArcticFox
Do we have confirmation that other things will be insurable? I personally don't recall that ever being stated, which is one of the factors to why this thread.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Yes they said it many times that you will be able to insure your upgrades on ship and if you don't you lose them when ship explode ;)

And any cargo you might have... etc..

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I will open a Knee Insurance Agency in the PU.

You pay your knee insurance, nothing happens to your knees, at least from the operatives of the KnIA.

You don't, I can't guarantee your knees won't fall victim to a *coughs* little accident.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I think anything you can buy in the PU be insurable, personal armour, weapons, ship weapons and upgrades, maybe even NPCs!

Insurance is good, better to pay a thousand UEC to insure a gun than to die and lose a gun that cost 20,000 UEC!

Now - if they make the insurance go up the more you die, that WILL become interesting!!!

Op4ArcticFox

Space Marshal
May 9, 2014
RSI Handle
Op4ArcticFox
Now - if they make the insurance go up the more you die, that WILL become interesting!!!
This is also something I have been thinking about. One of the reasons I was drawn to Star Citizen is the finality of actions. At least in the intial campaign CR stated he wanted perma-death for characters, and for actions to have consequences. Clearly a lot of that has been let go or softened up to appeal to a larger audience which fine whatever, but there still needs to be some Risk vs Reward otherwise we have overpowered gods and this is just another Eve Online.

Forgot your password?