Wheel of Time

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
Any fans of the Wheel of Time books seen the Amazon series yet? I wanted to know what you think. I watched maybe the first 10 - 15 minutes of episode 1 and thought they had changed too much but I'm wondering if anyone who has read the books thinks its worth giving a second chance?

• o7
  • Glorious
Reactions: maynard and Scape

Scape

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 2, 2019
RSI Handle
Scape_TEST
The first episode kicks off half way through, it gets very intense very quickly. I read them all and I'm on episode 4, its quite good...a lot more visceral than I was expecting. Egwene seems to be the main focus, she gets a lot of solid moments.
Its never going to be the same and they change up some parts to fit a faster narrative but honestly I'm enjoying it. Get through thd first 3 then see how you are feeling

• o7
Reactions: maynard

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
they haven't done a good job of setting the scene at the outset so I was disoriented also

it took several episodes before I felt like I knew what was going on

but now I'm into it

it's been so long since I read the series I wasn't aware of any changes

the plan is to make eight seasons from the fourteen-book series

so there is sure to be controversy over what is included vs what is left out

• o7
Reactions: Scape

Scape

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 2, 2019
RSI Handle
Scape_TEST
yea a few changes, the whole thing with Perrin and his wife....never happened. wasn't married in the books i believe.
My wife kept asking me why they kept talking about dragons 😂😅. @maynard i think you're right, they haven't explained it as well as they could have. there is however little bonus cartoons they made you can watch, its on the prime video extra footage option somewhere, gives a lot of backstory on what happened in the past. Very useful

• o7
Reactions: maynard

ArmoredCarbon

Space Marshal
Nov 5, 2015
RSI Handle
ArmoredCarbon
I've been trying really hard to like the WOT TV series, I watched all 8, but compared to the books they are hard to like. There is so much missing and changed, the books were all about exploring the world, and interesting characters. The show has good characters but it's more of a drama than a grand adventure.
I will say I am strongly biased towards the books, I have read them all several times especially the first 3-4 of them.

I Highly recommend the books, I would say the show is watchable if you like fantasy, but good if you like dramas.

Reactions: Scape

White Lando

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 25, 2021
RSI Handle
White_Lando
I personally thought the books were heavily overrated but I'm not a fan of Tolkien either.

My favorite series is the first law trilogy. The audiobooks are a masterpiece (narrator is amazing).

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
As a reader of the books (granted it was a long time ago since I touched them), I wasn't too impressed.

My wife (who didn't read the books) did enjoy the TV series as did one of my siblings. I guess that's what adaptations are these days I supposed. General public first, existing fans second. It is what it is. 'shrugs'

Forgot your password?