When you get hit with a weird bug and submit it, but then 6 months later, still nothing has changed?

breadbin

Commander
Sep 28, 2022
RSI Handle
breadbin
I love the users who insist I explain the step by step of what causes and what I am going to do to fix it forever, and it's some weird backwards thing they can't even reproduce but it happened once, or it's a random thing down to their unique setup, so now it's of critical importance.

So you fix it, find a way to get rid of them, and never hear of them again because somewhere down the line it's so niche they find a way to work around it, fix it, or it just stops.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I am a systems engineer, and basically I go by the same principle. It just goes into the backlog.
Same for the rest of my company which is a dev company (BI webapp sort of thing).

The more complaints(or automatic reports), the higher up the prio list it goes.
I'm a software architect and developer. Also same.

Some common issues for references:
Recorded as ERROR: ID=10T. When the user is acting like a gnat trying to get out of a jar by smashing into it.
A layer 8 error (in the 7 layer OSI model) Layer 8 describes a specific carbon based interface that normally exists between the device, and the floor.
An actual bug. No I mean it's an actual bug, like a cockroach that gets into the device and gets fried, or a bunch of angry wasps that caused all sorts of intermittent problems.
I also don't know what to call the issue where NoReply doesn't respond to messages. I once put a ESP button in the software to manage that. The software won an international award.

mindfart

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
mindfart
"Fix themselves" Genuinely didn't know that was a thing? I take it that's a computer is turned off and is cleared next time its turned on kind of fixing itself?
It is, a lot of minor bugs can get fixed by overhauls of something, or just changing out parts of code/updating stuff/changing some other random thing.

I'm a software architect and developer. Also same.

Some common issues for references:
Recorded as ERROR: ID=10T. When the user is acting like a gnat trying to get out of a jar by smashing into it.
A layer 8 error (in the 7 layer OSI model) Layer 8 describes a specific carbon based interface that normally exists between the device, and the floor.
An actual bug. No I mean it's an actual bug, like a cockroach that gets into the device and gets fried, or a bunch of angry wasps that caused all sorts of intermittent problems.
I also don't know what to call the issue where NoReply doesn't respond to messages. I once put a ESP button in the software to manage that. The software won an international award.
Have you tried turning it off and on again? =)

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
Yes, but I'll also defend the OP just a little here. How often do we STILL have issues with QT? Be it markers not showing up, drive not engaging, needing to aim away and respool, leave seat and try again, can't jump with a wingmate, etc. This is something that's plagued people ever since QT was implemented, still persists today, and continues to be reported on. Just because there are some half assed workarounds and people have gotten tired of submitting the same reports every patch doesn't quite mean that the issues can be considered solved.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Yes, but I'll also defend the OP just a little here. How often do we STILL have issues with QT? Be it markers not showing up, drive not engaging, needing to aim away and respool, leave seat and try again, can't jump with a wingmate, etc. This is something that's plagued people ever since QT was implemented, still persists today, and continues to be reported on. Just because there are some half assed workarounds and people have gotten tired of submitting the same reports every patch doesn't quite mean that the issues can be considered solved.
Sometimes the bug fix is to re-write the sub-system to work with changes in the fundamental codebase. Given that the QT system will be required to function across meshed servers, it seems likely that the effort to update it had been held until that baseline was reasonably functional.

FWIW 'Long Range Scanning' also has this requirement. The data being collected could potentially come from several different game servers, and will have to be parsed in the moment.

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Sometimes the bug fix is to re-write the sub-system to work with changes in the fundamental codebase. Given that the QT system will be required to function across meshed servers, it seems likely that the effort to update it had been held until that baseline was reasonably functional.

FWIW 'Long Range Scanning' also has this requirement. The data being collected could potentially come from several different servers, and will have to be parsed in the moment.
Not only that but part of the bug looks to be in the old interface that is slated to be replaced by building blocks as well as a reworking of the actor status system and ship features. Cause right now the ship shuts down if you get out of the pilot seat which doesn't work on multi crew ships

CRISS9000

Space Marshal
Jul 13, 2016
RSI Handle
criss9000
"Fix themselves" Genuinely didn't know that was a thing? I take it that's a computer is turned off and is cleared next time its turned on kind of fixing itself?
you're not far off the mark there. as a computer clocks working hours, software programs can leave some junk in the memory. turning the computer off clears that junk.

note that the more recent iterations of Windows (primarily 10, idk bout 11) will actually perform a save-state in the guise of a shutdown, which will leave at least some of that junk uncleaned. tho I can't remember which setting will fix that - something about speeding up the booting process or whatever.

also:

1665421450442.png

Last edited:
Forgot your password?