Who here has experience with DxTory?

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
I'm looking to use the software for recording Star Citizen with as little overhead as possible, since FRAPS is impractical for this purpose.

I need to figure out the best configurations, codecs, etc...

CGPepper

Comrade
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
CGP
That is definitively ShadowPlay from nVidia, (3-5% performance drop. Fraps is about 30%)
AMD has a similar prog, but its a little slower (about 10% performance drop) and doesn't support all games

Reactions: mromutt

Shive

Speed Devil
Staff member
Officer
Mar 9, 2014
RSI Handle
GOD_Shive
edit: committed the death sin of misreading the post

Last edited:

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
Still, the best way is probably those boxed that you put between your GPU and the screen
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/hdmi-recorder
....if you don't know what settings are optimal for DxTory, don't respond. Read the OP, and try not to derail.

I appreciate that you're trying to provide alternative suggestions, but they are not viable. I don't use HDMI output for gaming because I don't have a gaming screen that supports HDMI. It's all DVI or DisplayPort.

On top of that, I'm not going to say it again: I am looking for optimal settings for DxTory. This includes both encoding and file outputs.

CGPepper

Comrade
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
CGP
....if you don't know what settings are optimal for DxTory, don't respond.
I am not so good at following rules.
I responded, wut now?

edit: your post was linked through mumble. So i didn't read the title when i clicked. If you would mention DxTory in the post itself... i would probably still rebel

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
Reactions: that_frog_kurtis

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
That is definitively ShadowPlay from nVidia, (3-5% performance drop. Fraps is about 30%)
AMD has a similar prog, but its a little slower (about 10% performance drop) and doesn't support all games
I would agree with this, when I need to reliably record game footage with full quality I choose Nvidia shadowplay. But if down scaling a little and wanting to stream as you record is the goal then OBS or Xsplit do a good job at multi tasking this with small overhead. I say shadowplay though.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
....if you don't know what settings are optimal for DxTory, don't respond. Read the OP, and try not to derail.

I appreciate that you're trying to provide alternative suggestions, but they are not viable. I don't use HDMI output for gaming because I don't have a gaming screen that supports HDMI. It's all DVI or DisplayPort.

On top of that, I'm not going to say it again: I am looking for optimal settings for DxTory. This includes both encoding and file outputs.
What hardware are you using? That can make a lot of difference in what settings will be optimal for you. Even the model of your ssd can be important for this when trying to set it up just right.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
What hardware are you using? That can make a lot of difference in what settings will be optimal for you. Even the model of your ssd can be important for this when trying to set it up just right.
I've figured it out. It should work. I tested it in Star Citizen, but due to my 7970, framerate was only between 20 and 30 FPS, but it was not unplayable. Compression is good, and the write speeds are acceptable.

So I suppose all that's left is to install my second 7970 and see if there's a performance improvement. :P

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
I've figured it out. It should work. I tested it in Star Citizen, but due to my 7970, framerate was only between 20 and 30 FPS, but it was not unplayable. Compression is good, and the write speeds are acceptable.

So I suppose all that's left is to install my second 7970 and see if there's a performance improvement. :p
Do you have more than one good drive in your pc? If so it has a feature called distribution writing that will use two hard drives for faster writing of the data you are capturing, allowing you to get a little more out of it (writing the data can be a bottleneck). It is similar to doing a stripe raid config but without the hassle haha.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
Do you have more than one good drive in your pc? If so it has a feature called distribution writing that will use two hard drives for faster writing of the data you are capturing, allowing you to get a little more out of it (writing the data can be a bottleneck). It is similar to doing a stripe raid config but without the hassle haha.
I heard about the feature, but I'm not sure how to configure it for that.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
I heard about the feature, but I'm not sure how to configure it for that.
I think its as easy as just picking two folders. Let me go look and see.

Ok it does look like you just pick two folders. Heres a quote about the feature and a picture.
"The first bottleneck of the high-bitrates capture is a writing speed to storage. If it is environment with two or more storage, writing-speed can be improved using this function. There is no necessity of using a special file system. Make multiple selection of the folder which saves data, and preparation will be completed if speed setting is done."

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
I think its as easy as just picking two folders. Let me go look and see.

Ok it does look like you just pick two folders. Heres a quote about the feature and a picture.
"The first bottleneck of the high-bitrates capture is a writing speed to storage. If it is environment with two or more storage, writing-speed can be improved using this function. There is no necessity of using a special file system. Make multiple selection of the folder which saves data, and preparation will be completed if speed setting is done."
Apparently, I already did that! I'm using a nearly-full volume drive as a write-buffer, with the destination folder a nearly-empty volume drive. Hmm...I'll need to tinker with this a bit.

Reactions: mromutt

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
Apparently, I already did that! I'm using a nearly-full volume drive as a write-buffer, with the destination folder a nearly-empty volume drive. Hmm...I'll need to tinker with this a bit.
Yeah the thing with that program is its so to the metal that you really need to tinker around with it.

Forgot your password?