Why is there so much hate for the Starfarer?

SoloPlayerZA

Grand Admiral
May 1, 2019
RSI Handle
SoloPlayerZA
Ive been looking at it, but there are many mixed feelings. Almost as if it was the best thing ever when it released, but these days it seems to be more of a meme. I dont understand why?

Is it just that it has the MISC view? Or that its badly designed?

I get fuel mechanics are not out so its just a cargo hauler now, but when that gameplay is released it will be one of the most impotant ships in the game because all ships will require fuel? Thus it will be a stable income maker?

Or what am I missing?

Cheers!

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
It is a solid ship and can do well, but it has a lot dragging it down.
It shall be one of the most useful ships in the 'verse...when the game is finished and released.
It can carry liquids (fuel, liqour, water ) as well as lots of cargo or spare parts for a fleet.
The interior needs 'markings' so stop getting confused and lost - this change is being worked on.

People are upset because they believe that it will no longer be able to 'scoop' quantum fuel as well as hydrogen fuel.....this has been rumoured but not confirmed by RSI.
I have and still believe that this will be a needed and profitable ship. I will not get rid of mine...
Of corse, it is not a practical ship for solo play...

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
If I remember rightly she was the first "large" ship to be released.

Lo, in the words of Will Smith: What shalt once be the new hotness, must inevitably become that which is old and busted.

View: https://youtu.be/ha-uagjJQ9k?t=17

As new stuff comes along her age becomes more and more obvious, the lessons learned from her design and from ships that came after which are not present in her become glaring...

That said, I like the staircases I think all these lifts in ships are unnecessary and would start to give me claustrophobia if it was the only way between levels in a craft... but it's weird there isn't a staircase up to the 3rd habitation deck - many people think it was designed as an FPS map first and a ship interior second... perhaps it was...?

I like the limited view cockpit but every few patches they turn the inside reflections on the glass up to 11 and you can't see the stars for the reflections of random naked people in the empty seats beside you... (I kid you not one patch had reflections of undressed avatars in their underpants in the crew stations which as you were alone in the ship was weird as heck.)

The Quantum Fuel issue is one that burned quite a few original backers too. There is having a ship that can replenish it's Hfuel, but having the only ship that can replenish Quantum means you have an infinity range explorer ship as long as you keep finding that Q, you have a money making machine as that ship is the only source for the fuel in the 'Verse other than perhaps ground or space based fuel stations... But then Quantaniam was a thing and the 'Farer was going down a notch to be the only ship you could refine Hfuel into Qfuel in as long as you had the Quantainium but the 'Farer wasn't a miner so how to get the raw material... It was suddenly more complicated but not in a way anyone understood because it wasn't in the game to see and understand..

And now, thinking about it, ships like the Carrak and maybe even the Vanguards will really need that kind of Qfuel refineing capability too if they are going to be self sufficient and stay out in the big black for weeks at a time as they are supposed to be able to...? As for the Endeavour? Why would MISCs capital ship not have the Qfuel creation capabilities of one of its large crafts? They build the tech that goes in to one and not including it in the top-if-the-line would just not make sense...? And the Freelancer DUR, another stablemate specializing in exploration, would it not benefit from a Qfuel refinery too?

There is positive scope creep where more potential is added, things get bigger and more exciting and more interesting... but this feels like the closer we get to having refuel/fuel in the game the more potential is being sapped away from the 'Farer. We all know a concept is a concept and concepts can and do change - but that doesn't stop a dashed dream of what may have been being just that. Look at any element of SC which comes to fruition and you will find a percentage of disappointed backers. It's because there are 2 million dreamers each with their own personal impression of what may be, but there can be but one reality. For many, the reality is better than the dream, like Mining. For many the reality is worse than the dream like the Cutlass before the rework fixed it, and totally changed it's initial "fighting freighter" concept.

The one thing that nearly broke my own personal relationship with the pig-ass-bastard that is the Starfarer (got one as a loaner for the Endeavor) was that external gantry and back door had no locking mechanism. Anyone could enter the ship and multiple times I've taken off and left the armistice zone only to take a machine gun to the back of the head. It got to the point where the second I'd hear shots I'd hit the self destruct, but then the reclaim and lost time... nope that was no good and did start to negatively impact my opinion of the craft... So it was either I gave up on it and waited for the Endeavor to launch and fly that instead, or... So yeah I melted a bunch of ships and got one outright, so I have a spare in the Loaner, and can claim one while flying one. There is nothing quite like flying something the size of an office block around the place and it has 4x s4 pilot controlled guns, which as far as I know is one of the best pilot controlled armaments in a large size ship. I can't hit anything with them, but...

The 'Farer will get refresh passes, I no longer die walking round the corner on the first stairwell which used to be a thing so improvements are constantly being made to her, too.

TL;DR - There Starfarer is the oldest large ship in the game. She's got a lot of history for many backers. With history comes glory, but also baggage, and with the 'Farer it seems she has more baggage than glory for the moment 🙂

Last edited:

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Have you flown one?

It's a great ship on paper but for some reason it weighs more than an 890 jump and has the thrusters off an argo cargo so it flies like a mountain, doesnt start doesnt stop takes half an hour to turn.

That being said, I still love my Starfarer Gemeni!! I don't use it for cargo as it's useless at that but I do use it for brawling!! I helped blow up a hammer head that was trolling olisar with a few other people with it, with my mate in the front turret, 4 x S4 lasers and 2 x S5 lasers at the same time did a number on the hammerheads shields away leaving the smaller ships to finish it off!

People who are obsessed with having a 100% clear "no struts" view are morons.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
It can (as of yet) carry the most amount of beer in the verse. Anyone who hates that is a heretic!
Now that's a thing I haven't thought about in regard to the Starfarer - Yeah it will be able to suck in Hydrogen for fuel... but it should be able to suck in all the other types of gas and liquid too....

[Theorycraft activate]

Woah, this thing 'aint just a fuel ship, it's also a gas mining ship. It's the Orion of gas mining world...

I haul Astatine gas in my 'Farer. It gets a good price for not too much distance and the cargo bay gets 291 SCU of standard cargo gas tanks. That's without the fuel/gas/liquid tanks on the back they don't work yet not even for actual gasses...

I usually make 2uec per unit (multiple units per SCU) buying and selling it... so imagine instead I fly to the places that have it for sale and just pull it directly from the atmosphere... I'd be making 9uec a unit a trip increasing my profit by 3.5 times...

The Starfarer is starting to look a little more attractive again! Now imagine you are just out to fill it up with water? Just find a lake and dip the nose in, fill 'er up and go sell the spoils where it's needed...

Or woah how about this, you see part of Loreville is on fire! Fly over to the lake/sea, fill up or maybe even just go up to the cloud layer and suck one up, clouds can have like 20+ tonnes of water in them, then while you are flying over the city purge the tanks to dump the water over the flames and save the day!

[/Theorycraft deactivate]

I never really took the time to think about this, I love the potential this ship still has! They just have to make the magic happen in game... I would love a Fire Department skin and be able to dump water from the tanks at the back, it would be a bit like this:

View: https://youtu.be/Fox_xomGgFg?t=68

Last edited:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Ive been looking at it, but there are many mixed feelings. Almost as if it was the best thing ever when it released, but these days it seems to be more of a meme. I dont understand why?

I get fuel mechanics are not out so its just a cargo hauler now, but when that gameplay is released it will be one of the most impotant ships in the game because all ships will require fuel? Thus it will be a stable income maker?

Or what am I missing?

Cheers!
The interior was designed by a madman that never intended it to be s useable ship.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
It was designed outside>in, which forced a terrible layout.
Plus it is MISC, which as a brand is fundamentally hideous and inconvenient in every possible way.
Then there is the fact it hasn't aged well at all as every time the flight mechanic has been changed the Starfarer received the least dev attention of all flyable ships, so now it flies like a greased cinderblock on thin ice.

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
Simply put, it's 2 things people don't like the Starfarer for - form and function.

Form is the ship's awkward interior design. Starfarer is one of the first large ships that was made flyable in game. From memory the first one was Constellation Andromeda, which is medium, but looked large back in the day. The Starfarer was the second. At that time the ship exterior was made first, then the interior was built. This approach has now changed, and they try to build the interior first, then they build the exterior around it. I believe the Carrack was the first ship built that way, which is why the actual result is different from the concept arts. CIG gradually uplifts old ships to the new design standard. So, time will come and Starfarer interior design will be improved.

Function is largely the rumors on ship's limited ability to scoop certain fuels, e.g. hydrogen and quantanium. This is not confirmed by CIG.

The Reclaimer has a bit better layout, but it's the same story of early design approaches.

Reactions: Deroth

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting

Or what am I missing?

Cheers!
Because, they are complete shit.

Slow, unwieldy, terrible interior, low cargo capacity for its size, plus its had its main function removed.

They are one of, if not the worst large ship in the game, which is disappointing as I personally was looking forward to it before it was released, but they are just..... woeful.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
I'm going to to get and hold a Starfarer CCU this IAE2959
- it gets a major rework (Looking at the MSR all ships will need an update pass very soon)
- we finally know more on how the Quantum refinement process will work. (Can i use my cargo bay to refine Quantum fuel?)

- I think i'm fine if i can produce a lot of QF with a full cargo bay (lets say at a ratio 10:1 Fuel:Quantanium)

- Also going to put a SF to Gemini upgrade in my buyback until we are 100% certain that the fuel scoop will remain.

and just to scare BlackSunder:
Its an MSR to Starfarer upgrade

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Because, they are complete shit.

Slow, unwieldy, terrible interior, low cargo capacity for its size, plus its had its main function removed.

They are one of, if not the worst large ship in the game, which is disappointing as I personally was looking forward to it before it was released, but they are just..... woeful.
We don't know if it has had its main function removed. While I agree its slow and unwieldy its suppose to be to an extent slow and unwieldy and at times I feel like some of the other large ships are a bit to maneuverable and fully expect them to be tuned down. The other thing is more then half its cargo capacity is not currently usable due to no way to acquire and distribute fuels. All we are currently using is the cargo capacity emarked for resupply like food and ammo. So the ship has a bright future its just lacking a purpose currently and most attempt to use it as a cargo hauler as most of its game loops do not exist as of yet. As for the interior it was crafted when they were still toying around with how hostile boarding would play out and so its crafted more as a FPS map then a functional ship. This lead to multiple ways between levels and paths that gave good points of cover but leads to terrible pathing for ship usability.

As for the retaliator it also suffers from early design choices and learning how to build ships for the verse. In its case it was built from the outside inward which lead to not enough space for all of the features. Of the original ships that still have not yet been reworked the Constellation was the most successful, but as to a rework its going to be hard given the limited space to bring in all of the ship components and features with out changing the outside of these ships and as the rework done to the Phoenix there might only be so much they can do.

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
We don't know if it has had its main function removed. While I agree its slow and unwieldy its suppose to be to an extent slow and unwieldy and at times I feel like some of the other large ships are a bit to maneuverable and fully expect them to be tuned down. The other thing is more then half its cargo capacity is not currently usable due to no way to acquire and distribute fuels. All we are currently using is the cargo capacity emarked for resupply like food and ammo. So the ship has a bright future its just lacking a purpose currently and most attempt to use it as a cargo hauler as most of its game loops do not exist as of yet. As for the interior it was crafted when they were still toying around with how hostile boarding would play out and so its crafted more as a FPS map then a functional ship. This lead to multiple ways between levels and paths that gave good points of cover but leads to terrible pathing for ship usability.

As for the retaliator it also suffers from early design choices and learning how to build ships for the verse. In its case it was built from the outside inward which lead to not enough space for all of the features. Of the original ships that still have not yet been reworked the Constellation was the most successful, but as to a rework its going to be hard given the limited space to bring in all of the ship components and features with out changing the outside of these ships and as the rework done to the Phoenix there might only be so much they can do.
We know its had its main function removed, it can no longer harvest quantum fuel.

Now you not only need a Starfarer along with you on longer trips, but a mining ship *and* a refinery to process quantainium.

As for everything else, thank you for agreeing with me that its a terrible ship.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
We know its had its main function removed, it can no longer harvest quantum fuel.

Now you not only need a Starfarer along with you on longer trips, but a mining ship *and* a refinery to process quantainium.

As for everything else, thank you for agreeing with me that its a terrible ship.
This is a bad assumption. We don't know if its had its function removed there has been lots of jumping to that conclusion but there is no definitive answer on what the future holds.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17341-Star-Citizen-Monthly-Report-October-2019

The Starfarer will be able to transport and deliver / refuel in flight both regular thruster propellant and Quantum Matter. It will also be able to refine Quantum Matter into Quantum Fuel. The only aspect not decided is the mining aspect as we really don't want to make the Starfafer a heavy duty mining ship but its likely we'll have some smaller equipment; like a hand held mining device to allow you to EVA out to collect Quantum Matter - but we haven't decided this just yet.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Is the Reclaimer then the same story as the Starfarer? People seem to like it wayyyyy more?
The Reclaimer is one of the most awesome interior designs, in terms of coolness and utility! It genuinely seems like a Weyland-Yutani ship from the Alien movies...it isn't perfect, but the ship is really cool and is a beast.

The Starfarer...on the plus side, the pilot has some really strong guns and can wreck idiots who hang out in front of it too long. On the negative side, it really was designed more as an FPS level & to be the standard shipwreck to FPS in.

Have you seen the new MSR? That ship is so well designed, pretty much every ship now sucks, in comparison. They will have to go back and re-work the older ships, imo.

Reactions: Michael
Forgot your password?