Windows 10, pro, or ride out 7?

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
So I have been stubbornly avoiding Windows 10. Everything has worked fine on 7 so far and I love the OS. So I have had no real need to upgrade to 10. Lately though, I have hit more and more roadblocks. For instance, many new Oculus games require 10 to run. So as a result I have started entertaining the idea of moving into the most recent version.

The main issue I have is with Microsoft themselves. The damn permissions to be specific. My wife got caught with the auto-update "free upgrade" to Windows 10 and she decided to keep it. A few months later, I was looking through her OS for some troubleshooting issues and stumbled across the permissions. It floored me. The free upgrade had given microsoft permissions to damn near every keystroke, upload, and download. Needless to say, I turned them all off (some 20 or so if I remember) and happily stayed on Windows 7 for my PC.

That being said, they can be turned off. So that shouldn't keep me from upgrading. It's the world we live in now and everything is logged and filed. So be it. Since I'm no expert in the OS though, is there anything else I really need to watch for? I hear it's "the new windows 7". Which is to say that the leapfrog from '95, to XP, to 7, has landed on 10 as the next stop (skipping all the trash like ME, Vista, 8, etc.).

So if Windows 10 is decent, then is it all about Home or Pro? It looks like the only advantage Pro brings is some networking and admin stuff. Are there any other selling points?

What do you all think? 10, Home, Pro, or ride out 7 till it finally dies (which is soon-ish)...

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Yeh no need to bother with pro running W10 home here and it's fine, it's not as bad as you think lol only thing I've done is disable the rampantly overexcitable automatic update/rebooting mechanism with some reg hacks. Now I reboot it when I want :smile:

Other than that I don't see what the fuss is, it's a good reliable stable O/S for me.

You're gonna have to upgrade at some point if your a gamer as W7 will get worse and worse, less games, less drivers for it etc.

Reactions: Bruttle

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
I use W10 pro, but to be honest the only one of it's features i could ever see myself using is remote desktop. There's nothing i really need to do that would use the others. You should probably go with the home edition.

Definitely upgrade from 7, though. It was better than Vista/8, but windows 10 i find a bit more useful. There's some mildly annoying things, but overall everything's great.

Reactions: Bruttle and BUTUZ

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
...There's some mildly annoying things...
Do you mean that Cortana randomly popping up every six minutes? I found a way to turn her off (I have that effect on everyone), I felt a bit guilty at the time as she's programmed to help but after a day or two it was just nice not to have the hindrance.

Reactions: Bruttle and Sraika

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
Do you mean that Cortana randomly popping up every six minutes? I found a way to turn her off (I have that effect on everyone), I felt a bit guilty at the time as she's programmed to help but after a day or two it was just nice not to have the hindrance.
I'm in the same boat, I hate anything appearing on my screen unless it's important and since I don't do much on my main PC nothing is important. I disabled as much as I could with reg hacks and simply taking ownership of executables and renaming them so they simply cannot load.

I like W10 but really... It's my PC I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to NOT see garbage on my screen.

If it wasn't for gaming I'd be on Linux full time.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
If it wasn't for gaming I'd be on Linux full time.
Same, my every day laptop is Linux and I have minimal issues - I am not a software person and can't really do all the Terminal stuff but I find any issues I do have I can get fixed with the assistance of Google :)

Reactions: Bruttle

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I'm still with Win7, and I'm happy. I have the same privacy concerns you have, but I guess there is nothing we can do. If you use Windows and the internet, privacy is a thing of the past.

That being said, as far as I know, Star Citizen is being built using DX11, with (currently) no DX12 special anything, so you won't get any boost in SC by switching to Win 10. Other games, will be different, of course.

In general, I'll do my usual and upgrade to 10 right before they release 11 or whatever the next iteration is. That way, I get all the bug fixes and a stable OS, while the suckers early adopters figure out what isn't working. And I'll probably just get the Home version. I used to use the networking / remote desktop features in Windows, but haven't used it in a couple of years now.

bedoinitusa

Space Marshal
Dec 8, 2017
RSI Handle
GloomyGun
I hate microsoft and how they do upgrades. If you do go to w10, make SURE you check your settings every time. Have found that they overwrite your changed preferences back to what THEY want them to be ( spying "B's" that they are).

Forgot your password?