Windows 10 users read this

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
First let me say that I myself am a Windows 10 user.
Second, I will not to try to brainwash you or anything like that, I am sure you are all informed about Win10 and M$ spying practices.

Well. Do you really believe you are well informed?
I thought so also, until recently.

Some guys have found out some disturbing things, which I did not know previously.
I suggest you READ THIS !!!

Some Czech guy did a traffic analysis of data produced by Windows 10, and released his findings the other day. His primary thesis was that Windows 10 acts more like a terminal than an operating system -- because of the extent of the "cloud" integration, a large portion of the OS functions are almost dependent on remote (Microsoft's) servers. The amount of collected information, even with strict privacy settings, is quite alarming. Information transmitted:

All text typed on the keyboard is stored in temporary files, and sent (once per 30 mins) to:
  1. oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
  2. pre.footprintpredict.com
  3. reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
There isn't a clear purpose for this, considering there there's no autocorrect/prediction anywhere in the OS (There is autocorrect in certain text fields, but the supposed purpose for transmitting these keystrokes is to improve autocorrect across devices. Whether a full keylog is necessary for this (as opposed to just corrections) is questionable. Furthermore, this appears to still occur even if the user is not signed in to a Microsoft account, eliminating the "across devices" benefit. Perhaps there is a global autocorrect dictionary that benefits all users, but the privacy implications of an un-disableable always-on keylogger outweigh these potential benefits.).
The implications of this are significant: because this is an OS-level keylogger, all the data you're trying to transmit securely is now sitting on some MS server. This includes passwords and encrypted chats. This also includes the on-screen keyboard, so there is no way to authenticate to a website without MS also getting your password.

Telemetry is sent once per 5 minutes, to:
  1. vortex.data.microsoft.com
  2. vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
  3. telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
  4. telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
  5. oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
  6. oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
  7. sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
  8. sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
You might think that "telemetry" has to do with OS usage or similar... turns out it's telemetry about the user. For example, typing a phone number anywhere into the Edge browser transmits it to the servers above. In another example, typing the name of any popular movie into your local file search starts a telemetry process that indexes all media files on your computer and transmits them to:
  1. df.telemetry.microsoft.com
  2. reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
  3. cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
  4. pre.footprintpredict.com
It's hard to imagine any purpose for this other than the obvious piracy crackdown possiblities. When a webcam is first enabled, ~35mb of data gets immediately transmitted to:
  1. oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
  2. oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
  3. vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
  4. i1.services.social.microsoft.com
  5. i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
Everything that is said into an enabled microphone is immediately transmitted to:
  1. oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
  2. oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
  3. vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
  4. pre.footprintpredict.com
  5. i1.services.social.microsoft.com
  6. i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
  7. telemetry.appex.bing.net
  8. telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
  9. cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com
If this weren't bad enough, this behavior still occurs after Cortana is fully disabled/uninstalled.
It's speculated that the purpose of this function to build up a massive voice database, then tie those voices to identities, and eventually be able to identify anyone simply by picking up their voice, whether it be a microphone in a public place or a wiretap on a payphone. Interestingly, if Cortana is enabled, the voice is first transcribed to text, then the transcription is sent to:
  1. pre.footprintpredict.com
  2. reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
  3. df.telemetry.microsoft.com
If Windows is left unattended for ~15 mins, a large volume of traffic starts being transmitted to various servers. This may be the raw audio data, rather than just samples.
Other concerns... While the initial reflex may be to block all of the above servers via HOSTS, it turns out this won't work: Microsoft has taken the care to hardcode certain IPs, meaning that there is no DNS lookup and no HOSTS consultation. However, if the above servers are blocked via HOSTS, Windows will pretend to be crippled by continuously throwing errors, while still maintaining data collection in the background. Other than an increase in errors, HOSTS blocking did not affect the volume, frequency, or rate of data being transmitted.
Pretty nasty right?
No wonder it was free !!!!!

No worries tho.

If you love the new Windows 10 and would like to keep using it despite all of this, there is one free option for us all. At a click of a button this proggy will block all Microsoft shenanigans and you will have a bit more privacy.

Just download and run as administrator the following proggy:
Destroy Windows 10 Spying v1.5
Binary file <-- new Release 325 out.
Source code (if you are paranoid)

Happy gaming fellaz. :)

Last edited:

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
Hehe.

Well, like it or not, for us as gamers, it is absolutely essential to get on the Windows 10 bandwagon.
DirectX 12 simply offers too much to pass out on.

I rather use nice fluid Win 10 than quirky and slow Win 7.
BUT I am not a sheep, so I will make sure M$ does not screw with me.

Ocean

Rear Admiral
Jul 20, 2015
RSI Handle
0cean
downloaded and will be doing this instantly when i get home... i even went as far as removing all the BLOAT programs on windows ten..... no shop.... no xbox.... nothing only thing remaining is cortana... and that's only because she is seriously integrated its not funny.

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
Be careful with advanced features m8, you might end up screwing your copy.

Stick with basic one hit button, and you will be fine.
Unless you are a hardcore advanced user and like to take risks.

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
IIRC you can strip a lot of that out manually, especially the predictive text thing.

I mention this because using third party software to monkey about with an os level keylogger spooks me a bit. I'll look at it more when I get home, but if any of the more code-minded testies would care to take a look at this things internals, I'd be grateful.

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
IIRC you can strip a lot of that out manually, especially the predictive text thing.

I mention this because using third party software to monkey about with an os level keylogger spooks me a bit. I'll look at it more when I get home, but if any of the more code-minded testies would care to take a look at this things internals, I'd be grateful.
It basically automates stuff.
• It creates a restore point
• Disables M$ telemetry
• Deletes keylogger stuff
• Adds sites in question to hosts file so network can't call them
• and it disables some tasks that are set by M$ by default

What it did on my comp:
Disable telemetry...
Delete keylogger...
Add to hosts - adnexus.net
Add to hosts - adnxs.com
Add to hosts - az361816.vo.msecnd.net
Add to hosts - az512334.vo.msecnd.net
Add to hosts - ssw.live.com
Add to hosts - i1.services.social.microsoft.com
Add to hosts - i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
Add to hosts - reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
Add to hosts - cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
Add to hosts - vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
Add to hosts - oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
Add to hosts - pre.footprintpredict.com
Add to hosts - spynet2.microsoft.com
Add to hosts - spynetalt.microsoft.com
Add hosts MS complete.
Add Windows Firewall rule: "MS Spynet block 1"
Add Windows Firewall rule: "MS Spynet block 2"
Add Windows Firewall rule: "MS telemetry block 1"
Add Windows Firewall rule: "MS telemetry block 2"
Disable private settings
Disable Windows Defender.
Set Default PhotoViewer
Disabled task: Microsoft\Office\Office ClickToRun Service Monitor
Disabled task: Microsoft\Office\OfficeTelemetryAgentFallBack2016
Disabled task: Microsoft\Office\OfficeTelemetryAgentLogOn2016
Disabled task: Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\KernelCeipTask
Disabled task: Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\UsbCeip
Disabled task: Microsoft\Windows\Power Efficiency Diagnostics\AnalyzeSystem
Disabled task: Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyMonitor
Disabled task: Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyRefresh
Disabled task: Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\AitAgent
Disabled task: Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\ProgramDataUpdater
Disabled task: Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\StartupAppTask
Disabled task: Microsoft\Windows\Autochk\Proxy
Disabled task: Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\BthSQM
Disabled task: Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\Consolidator
Disabled task: Microsoft\Office\OfficeTelemetry\AgentFallBack2016
Disabled task: Microsoft\Office\OfficeTelemetry\OfficeTelemetryAgentLogOn2016
There ya go.

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal

I just finished reviewing the source code and there is no sign of foul play in it. It basically does the whole list of things Star Pilgrim listed. However I do not know how much all these actions will affect Windows 10 functionality.

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
I just finished reviewing the source code and there is no sign of foul play in it. It basically does the whole list of things Star Pilgrim listed. However I do not know how much all these actions will affect Windows 10 functionality.
And this is why LeChuck is the best-worst ghostgreek pirate. I haven't even left the office yet.

Reactions: Krystal LeChuck

ReconDelta

Space Marshal
Apr 29, 2015
RSI Handle
ReconDelta
I want to add, while I don't doubt Windows 10 monitors many users actions so too does your IP, Google, Facebook, your cellular company, many government agencies. Fact is, if you're online your data and privacy is already compromised.

Windows 10 is doing nothing new. Its a great OS.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
I want to add, while I don't doubt Windows 10 monitors many users actions so too does your IP, Google, Facebook, your cellular company, many government agencies. Fact is, if you're online your data and privacy is already compromised.

Windows 10 is doing nothing new. Its a great OS.
That and windows has already been doing this for many years

Reactions: ReconDelta

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
Isn't this telemetry bullshit (including keylogging) illegal?

If I were typing my passwords, it'd be getting transmitted to Microsoft? What the fuck?

ericman2001

Space Marshal
May 11, 2014
RSI Handle
Phlox_Lennelluc
In my case, I sold my soul to Google a long time ago for a little access to their super compute cluster so for me that ship has sailed regardless of vendor.

For everyone else a couple things I know:
  • If you're running the Windows 10 technical preview still, this was disclosed to you as I recall. Developers kind of like that kind of information to know why issues happened.
  • If you're running Windows 10 RTM, open up settings, hit privacy and go through there and set things to your liking. The aforementioned keyboard logging feature is in there on General and Speech, Inking & Typing.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
In my case, I sold my soul to Google a long time ago for a little access to their super compute cluster so for me that ship has sailed regardless of vendor.

For everyone else a couple things I know:
  • If you're running the Windows 10 technical preview still, this was disclosed to you as I recall. Developers kind of like that kind of information to know why issues happened.
  • If you're running Windows 10 RTM, open up settings, hit privacy and go through there and set things to your liking. The aforementioned keyboard logging feature is in there on General and Speech, Inking & Typing.
Still needs to die in a fire. Win10's designers are apparently the same folks that keep trying to reinvent the wheel with Windows Vista, Windows 8, and the like. And this time they're trying to reinvent the wheel with a cloud-centric system.

I'm sorry, no. Operating Systems should be OPTIMIZED, not saddled with bullshit. Period.

Desterion

Admiral
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
Desterion
I'm in computer security and the number of issues windows 10 has pretty much insures I'l be sticking with win7 for awhile to come. I'd rather not have big brother microsoft blatantly doing all that stuff.

Reactions: NeoHelios_SC
Forgot your password?