Wolfy's Cybersecurity Recommendations #1: Panopticlick

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
What is Panopticlick?: It is a both a research project and a tool for ensuring your browser is relatively safe from tracking.

How does it work?: Honestly, there is a lot of detail that comes with this and I want these posts (there will be a series of them) to be short. I recommend reading the "About" section posted by the EFF on their website. https://panopticlick.eff.org/about#about

Does this tool interfere with common sites TESTies use?: As far as I have seen absolutely not. Discord, the TEST website, RSI, Steam, all of those sites remain unaffected by any changes this tool will make to your browser.

Why does Wolfy recommend it?: Tracking is bad, man. I mean it really depends on how much you enjoy your privacy. If you are conscious about what data you give to large companies and potential government/non-government actors, this tool is for you. If you don't give a shit about it, it's probably best you don't bother taking the 2 minutes to let it test your browser.

Has Wolfy used this tool?: Yep, that's why I feel safe recommending it.

What will this tool do to protect you?: Well, it's going to recommend a tool called Privacy Badger or, as an alternative, you can use it to see what setting you may not have configured properly on your browser already and correct it. You might even learn you are completely secure.

Feel free to take a screenshot and post your report down below if you want. Lets see how secure everyone is. As you can see, the browser I TESTed it on for this post has a unique fingerprint which could potentially expose me. I now can take steps to fix that if I want.

Let me know what y'all think, there will be a few more of these posts recommending security tools and stuff. None of this is sponsored by any company I mention nor will I receive any kind of kickback. These are written because I enjoy researching privacy and cybersecurity.

You can find the tool at this link. Using it does not require you to download anything: https://panopticlick.eff.org/

Last edited:

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
bookmarked

thanks, @Wolfy

• Love
Reactions: Wolfy

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
Does this tool interfere with common sites TESTies use?: As far as I have seen absolutely not. Discord, the TEST website, RSI, Steam, all of those sites remain unaffected by any changes this tool will make to your browser.
What about p*rnhub?

Texelis

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
Texelis
Cool @Wolfy, I didn't take a pic, but I failed across the board. Followed the instructions and did some configuring, all good now. Thanks!

GarikDuvall

Space Marshal
Donor
Dec 3, 2018
RSI Handle
Garik_Duvall
Ya I failed spectacularly. I use other programs to keep my PC safe (BitDefender & Malewarebytes), but they don't seem to do much to protect privacy (or I don't have those options enabled at least). I'll give their program a try and see how it works.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
Cool @Wolfy, I didn't take a pic, but I failed across the board. Followed the instructions and did some configuring, all good now. Thanks!
Good to hear it helped!
Ya I failed spectacularly. I use other programs to keep my PC safe (BitDefender & Malewarebytes), but they don't seem to do much to protect privacy (or I don't have those options enabled at least). I'll give their program a try and see how it works.
Yeah, those are, respectively, anti-virus and anti-malware softwares, they are not designed to protect your privacy or prevent programs from tracking you.

Forgot your password?