Aboot Capital Ship Piloting...

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5187176/#Comment_5187176

At one rotation every 31.7187 seconds you're looking at 1g of acceleration at 250 meters out and 2g at the ends - 50% of the ship would have an easier time walking on the walls than the floor, which is made dangerous by that fact that if they did so they'd be experiencing 2g of negative vertical acceleration - just a bit below the point where they're going to start blacking out after long term exposure. Any faster and you're going to start losing crew at the extremities.
TL;DR = "Hard 'a port, maximum speed." "Aye aye, hard 'a port, maximum speed." *thirty seconds pass* *THUMP THUMP BAM WHUMP SPLAT* "CREW KNOCKED OUT."

</War Thunder>

Reactions: DimwitTheWise

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Fortunately, flying into the sun only requires one turn and no further inputs.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Reactions: that_frog_kurtis

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
REALISM!!!!!

Yeah, I doubt even an Idris is going to be that "labor intensive" to pilot. Much easier to just let a computer do the numbers and select the most optimal acceleration curves and shit and not have half your crew be brained against a wall.

I will be shocked if "combat speed" for a Bengal or Pegasus is more than 30 m/s, because after that point you will have so much inertia it will be almost impossible to turn quickly enough to position yourself.

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
So.... what I'm taking from this update is that the best way to incapacitate a cap ship for the purpose of capturing it as undamaged as possible, is to get a few of the fastest moving tug boats to anchor to the nose or tail of the enemy ship... and spin that bitch like a merry-go-round until everyone on it is dead. Then we just walk in and take it.

We dun goofed when we voted for the hospital ship.

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
I say we open a few bottles, sit on the bridge of the ship and watch as it gloriously falls into the sun. The tears we reap from the community for destroying such a valuable ship will be incredible.
Don't worry. We'll get insurance on it. And by "insurance" I mean stealing CORP's carrier to replace the one we crashed into the sun. Then crash THAT one into a different sun, and then steal ADI's Carrier to replace that one. And then crash again, to show dominance, and then steal one of our own, just to show that we wanted to.

Reactions: honcho12

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Don't worry. We'll get insurance on it. And by "insurance" I mean stealing CORP's carrier to replace the one we crashed into the sun. Then crash THAT one into a different sun, and then steal ADI's Carrier to replace that one. And then crash again, to show dominance, and then steal one of our own, just to show that we wanted to.
Stealing our own carrier? When do we start?

Fenrig

Rear Admiral
May 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Fenrig
The proper way to pilot a capital ship is from the cockpit of my Aurora that I've just crashed into the bridge of said capital ship.
You mean a la the mining pod/necrocraft in Guardians of the Galaxy?

Forgot your password?