Armistice zones in SC

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Not sure if this is intentional or not, but just be aware for now.

Scenario: You land at an outpost which has an armistice zone around it. You're there to trade, so you make your purchase and exit the building. Now, anyone hovering just outside the armistice zone knows your ship is full of cargo. You cannot draw a weapon, and if you can get into your ship it will not fire it's weapons. But they can, since they're outside the armistice zone. That is the opportune moment to shoot your ship till it blows up, and take the cargo that mysteriously does not blow up when your ship does. This can happen at any outpost.

Whether or not this is an issue depends on the intent of the armistice zone. If it's to put everyone inside it at a disadvantage, task accomplished. It clearly does not stop anyone from shooting you, just stops you from defending yourself.

There is a strategy to protect against this, that is to fly trade routes in tandem. Two ships. One hovers while the other completes his trade. Then you switch places so you can both do some trading.

Something else you can try: it takes quite a while to pick up cargo laying on the ground in that situation. Respawn back in PO, then grab a ship and fly right back to where you were shot. With luck the guy is still there picking up the bits of cargo, inside the armistice zone. Note that if he didn't have it before, he now has a crime stat. Shoot his ass with immunity.

See
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_Urd9y-q8c

It did not feel like it took that long to do, but there you have it.

Last edited:

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
They could probably extend the armistice zones a bit, but the intent was to stop people from combating each other in safe zones. Griefers gonna grief.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
it was more then stopping people from combating each other it was a temporary stop gap until they could flush out the intended role of persistent reputation and all the systems that dictate how npcs react to you. At which time these artificial armistice zones disappear and you really can do anything at lease once anywhere.

Reactions: Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I actually like the fact that they're not 100% safe, but as it stands now they turn out to be 0% safe, and put you at a distinct disadvantage that you wouldn't have anywhere else. If they're temporary then that's fine with me too. If they end up keeping them then I think they need to make some what hopefully is minor adjustments.

I'm thinking they could do one of:
  • expand the armistice zones so there's an actual safe spot inside, or
  • remove them all together, or
  • my favorite if it was up to me, mark the player who shot a weapon at a ship inside an armistice zone with a crime stat, and allow whoever was attacked the chance to fight back. "You or your ship have come under weapons fire, you may fight back with immunity from crime stat" kind of thing.

I really like the last idea, because it gives the offender some risk, where none existed before. Risk in this game should not ever be one sided.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
yeah that's certainly true. If you're caught with your pants down on the john, and someone blows up your ship, well...that'll teach ya to play the game in that condition. My advice is, don't play SC if you have the runs. Really. It will cost you T.P., and it'll also likely cost you UEC.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for having better tactics that reduce risk, but the other player needs to have a half a chance too. I WANT my opponents to have a chance. It should be a two way street, otherwise it's not quite as fun, and can get even really boring.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
oh this reminds me of a old ad by Id in PC gamer for Quake II. It showed this old slightly discolored beige PC with a microwave next to it that hadn't been cleaned in a while and a toiled for a chair. On the computer tower was a post it note with things that needed to be done (like break up with girl friend) and at the bottom of the add was the words "Are you ready?"

Found one that is for Quake III that is similar

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
lol. I actually tried to find that same ad when I was writing that, but Chrome chose that moment to barf during a Google search.

Reactions: Bambooza
Forgot your password?