Cargo haulers will probably get nerfed

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Also, it's worth pointing that Kraken P, BMM and Hull have different purposes and can't be compared solely on the basis of cargo capacity.

Kraken P is a space station with landing pads and shops, where you can trade in space, on orbit, or on planet surface. To me Kraken P is akin to a mobile supermarket with parking lot, where you can not only take customer vehicles, but also deliveries, so with just in time deliveries you may not need to hold much cargo: get batch delivered -> sell -> re-order. I would note, though, that cargo hold for Kraken indeed seems way too small.

BMM, in my view, is a mobile boutique for more exquisite merchandise, as well as a mobile office for sole trader type business negotiations (for large corporates there is 890). BMM purpose is likely to be deployed only when landed. You won't have any fast moving consumer goods for on-sell purpose deliveries, and therefore you may require a larger cargo hold. You also likely won't be able to trade in space.

Hull series, in my opinion, has nothing to do with shops, rather those are freight industry. Hull E is something like an IRL marine supertanker able to carry 3+ million tons of oil (or other cargo), or like a super container ship. Hull D is closer to a large tanker or cargo/container ship. Hull C is like a cargo train, that picks cargo from a sea-port (where hulls E and D are unloading) and deliver to freight terminals. Hull B is like a large freight truck, that picks cargo from a freight terminal and delivers to a smaller terminal or a large warehouse. Hull A is like a small truck, that delivers cargo to retail clients. There is nothing more to it: no trading, no landing pads, and for most, no planetary landing with cargo. Just freight. Large cargo holds make sense to me.

So, comparing Kraken P and Hull E is like comparing a supermarket to a supertanker and saying that a supermarket needs to be able to store millins of tons of goods, because it has the "super" in it's name.
Indeed, for the most part, share the same view of what is being crafted.

I need to admit that there is a tendency to nerf some large ships and make them smaller. To me, the most disappointing change was Carrack: from capital class ship to a large ship. I believe it is now smaller in size, has less decks, and overall doesn't look as impressive as it was originally pictured. Personally, I would much rather prefer it to stay capital class ship. I wouldn't mind traveling to places like ArcCorp to get it spawned if needs be. Maybe, Port Olisar needs changing so that it is able to spawn capital class ships. If not, traveling is fine by me. I don't see much point in downgrading a capital ship just to squish it to a smaller landing pad. Rather, maybe, create a large exploration ship. So, indeed, there is a risk that large ships may be nerfed and downgraded.
As far as I am aware the Carrack hasn't lost any decks from concept to what was shown in Jan to now and in fact, they took extra effort to make sure it has all of the features promised in the concept plus as I was not expecting a top tier medical bay. As for the loss of size, it started out as large grew to capital and then shrank back to large size which honestly is a much better size for an explore ship as it allows for more jump points and landing pads as well as reduced operating costs. The loss of cargo space is a mix bag as we honestly do not know how big things are nor what it truly means. Other than those who had hoped to utilize it for trading (why?) the reduction of cargo has no impact at the moment. We do know in the future everything will be physicalized but I am still not sure what the Carrack will need that will take up so much space.

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
As far as I am aware the Carrack hasn't lost any decks from concept to what was shown in Jan to now and in fact, they took extra effort to make sure it has all of the features promised in the concept plus as I was not expecting a top tier medical bay. As for the loss of size, it started out as large grew to capital and then shrank back to large size which honestly is a much better size for an explore ship as it allows for more jump points and landing pads as well as reduced operating costs. The loss of cargo space is a mix bag as we honestly do not know how big things are nor what it truly means. Other than those who had hoped to utilize it for trading (why?) the reduction of cargo has no impact at the moment. We do know in the future everything will be physicalized but I am still not sure what the Carrack will need that will take up so much space.
I guess this comes to personal preference. While it is true that a smaller size ship would have reduced operating cost, could go through smaller jump points, and have other perks of a smaller ship, at the same time it loses the benefits of a larger ship, like range, trip duration, self-sufficiency, etc. There is Aquila, that can do all the smaller exploration ops. The way I remember it, Carrack has been promised as a long-haul, self-sufficient explorer ship. Yes, it can only go through a particular size jump point, but then it can do vast exploration.

For the ship's properties, I remember the Carrack was declared to have 4 decks, but in the recent video there was 3 decks on the elevator panel. The cargo and modularity - I would like to be able to support my expedition with what fits the situation. From memory, the Carrack was promised to have modules, like cargo, med bay, repair bay, fuel tank. So, you can equip the ship to suit the expedition. If it's a long planetary expedition where the ship will be stationary on a planet, then you may want extra cargo to store supplies and artefacts you find, but not so much fuel. If it's a planet charting ops, maybe you would want extra fuel to cover extra traveling.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Image result for star citizen carrack floor plan

As far as I am aware it still has four decks. I just figured given they only used the forward elevator as it doesn't have access to the Explorer deck.

John has also stated several times in both the talks at Citizencon as well as Star Citizen Live Dec 6th edition that the Carrack has all of the features promised in its concept. So medical, repair, modular cargo extra fuel tanks, mapping, rover, and shuttle. In fact, the medical capability is far more then I expected as I figured it would be something similar to the Cutlass Red and not on the same level as the Endeavor has. We still don't know what the repair capability is. How much food will need to eat to remain stat neutral nor how much space that will take up? There is already theory crafting and requests for the cargo modules to have the ability to have quantum fuel refinery to allow for the generation of QT fuel from FPS mining to allow for unlimited range. But even capital size ships are currently showing limited range as anyone who's taken the 890Jump out of Hurston has witnessed the shocking reality of low fuel once in orbit. So the size of a ship so far doesn't really dictate its range. So far the only thing in the PU larger ships have over the smaller ship, for the most part, is QT speed and even this is subject to change as they add different components and modules.

While it might be nice to have a capital size radar and capital size shields/powerplant I am not sure those benefits would outweigh the limitations of having a larger ship. Especially when exploring and dealing with reduced maneuverability, limited ports of call to refuel/resupply and fewer jump portals to utilize.

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
As far as I am aware it still has four decks. I just figured given they only used the forward elevator as it doesn't have access to the Explorer deck.

John has also stated several times in both the talks at Citizencon as well as Star Citizen Live Dec 6th edition that the Carrack has all of the features promised in its concept. So medical, repair, modular cargo extra fuel tanks, mapping, rover, and shuttle. In fact, the medical capability is far more then I expected as I figured it would be something similar to the Cutlass Red and not on the same level as the Endeavor has. We still don't know what the repair capability is. How much food will need to eat to remain stat neutral nor how much space that will take up? There is already theory crafting and requests for the cargo modules to have the ability to have quantum fuel refinery to allow for the generation of QT fuel from FPS mining to allow for unlimited range. But even capital size ships are currently showing limited range as anyone who's taken the 890Jump out of Hurston has witnessed the shocking reality of low fuel once in orbit. So the size of a ship so far doesn't really dictate its range. So far the only thing in the PU larger ships have over the smaller ship, for the most part, is QT speed and even this is subject to change as they add different components and modules.

While it might be nice to have a capital size radar and capital size shields/powerplant I am not sure those benefits would outweigh the limitations of having a larger ship. Especially when exploring and dealing with reduced maneuverability, limited ports of call to refuel/resupply and fewer jump portals to utilize.
That might explain the 3 decks on the elevator screen.
Well, I guess we just wait and see when the Carrack is flyable.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
100% this.
Image result for star citizen carrack floor plan

And this.

I'm glad the Carrack came (back) down in size. That made it (back) into the ship for me. She's everything she was when I first fell in love with her back in 2015.

Forgot your password?