• Beer

Votes: 16 20.0%

• Total voters

MikeNificent

Space Marshal
Sep 24, 2016
RSI Handle
MikeNificent
This seems like a very polarizing issue *throws two pennies at the computer screen*.

How will this affect people with high value accounts (say $500+)?

Well, it won't. These folks are pros (grey market types; do it to make $$), hoarders (buy $0 CCUs because they can and just want to have them; usually like to help org mates out by helping them get ships not on sale), and junkies (I like ships).

All three of these types will use the same technique they use to hoard 75 $35 LTI dragonflies in their buyback tab to hoard 500 $5 CCUs. Buy, melt, buy, melt, buy, melt, etc. Big deal. They probably already have the credit. If they don't, they can melt a ship they already have, buy the CCUs, melt those, and then rebuy the ship back. It's an extra step. Mildly inconvenient, but will not stop the practice of CCU hoarding (and and as such won't fix the 'database' issue).

Ok so it won't really affect the high value accounts, so how will it affect the low value accounts?

New backers and backers who can't/don't want to spend a bunch of money backing the game will get hit hardest (in theory, provided they actually agree to pay). Mustang is buggy. Aurora is buggy. Maybe I want to switch back and forth to figure out which (piece of hot garbage) one I want (obviously hypothetical as I own and will only own an Aurora for the greater glory of TEST). Do I have to pay $5 every time I want to switch from a Mustang to an Aurora or 85x to Avenger? If so, I'm pretty salty right now.

Hmm... So the hoarders will have to navigate a new speed bump, and the new backers will get shit on via a $5 "sorry your ship is unflyable at times" tax.

So is it a cash grab then?

Well the big spenders will abuse this system as with others and pay little if any more than they already have, the low value accounts and new backers will refuse to pay the $5 and either live with what they have or quit playing, so it doesn't appear that many folks are coughing up much new cash... Hmm...

So if it's not an effective cash grab, it won't get rid of or even slow down the grey market, and it won't stop hoarders from hoarding, what is the purpose again?

When I started typing this post, I was convinced I could have answered that question. Now I've forgotten. All I can remember is that I was for the $5 CCU minimum because *reasons* and now in exploring the issue while typing, I'm no longer for or against because I can't figure out what possible motivation CIG has for implementing this minimum in the first place. I should be upset that as a member of the 'Junkie' category, I will be inconvenienced via working my way around the $5 CCU thing, but I'm not. I guess if I have to pick a side, I'll wait to see how it is actually implemented. What I can definitively say is that while typing this post, I took a break to look at my buyback tab to make sure I wasn't talking out of my ass and I... *grins sheepishly* bought back a $35 MPUV cargo anniversary 2016 that I had melted some time ago. Well played CIG. Well played.

Doyzer

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Doyzer
As a grey market guy I think it helps the grey market. Now I have the ability to sell $5 upgrades that weren't giftable before.

For example, with $100 I can get 20 Aquila to Eclipse upgrades instead of 4 Redeemer to Eclipse upgrades to sell.

Doesn't really matter to me either way beacuse I don't have as much interest in selling internet spaceships as I did in the past.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl

Kenlee

Space Marshal
Apr 30, 2017
RSI Handle
Kenlee
TEST Forums are back up!
View attachment 6395

$5 CCUs got nixed!
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/1/thread/spaceship-prices
$0 CCUs will no longer be available, which is still kind of a bummer, but no more arbitrary $5 fee, which was (to me anyway) the bigger bummer!
"We have identified an issue related to the stockpiling of $0 CCU's. As we previously stated, there are more than 1.1 million unused CCUs in the system today. 1.05 million of these are $0 ‘cross trades’ and the vast majority of these are held, unused, by significantly less than one percent of Star Citizen backers. Some people have thousands of $0 CCU's on their account at this time, which is clearly an abuse of the system. "

Less than one percent of backers holds most of the one milllion CCU's lying around. Those stats are CRAZY. I get why they are fixing it that way.

DOLLARBILL.GIF

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
TEST Forums are back up!
View attachment 6395

$5 CCUs got nixed!
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/1/thread/spaceship-prices
$0 CCUs will no longer be available, which is still kind of a bummer, but no more arbitrary $5 fee, which was (to me anyway) the bigger bummer!
So if I'm reading this right, all our 0 dollar CCUs will start expiring soon, as well as not being available for purchase anymore.

I'd like to get a timeline on when this is going to happen.

Reactions: Mich Angel

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Well...it's better than charging 5$ for em I suppose.

But I can't help but think there's a middle ground between "remove all 0$ CCUs because 1% of people have a million of them" and "charge +5 USD for all CCUs"

I think it's a bit unfair to people who have ships at equal pricing, say Vanguard and Redeemer, that want a flyable ship over a loaner. CCUs were commonly used to "temp swap" between flyable ships and non-flyable ones. I know plenty of people that have Banu MM -> Vanguard CCUs applied right now so they can have a ship thats not a Connie. Now they're going to lose their 0$ CCU from Vanguard -> BMM, and have to pay an extra 100 bucks to get it back?

Something tells me CIG just didnt like people gaming the system with "free" credits from ships increasing in price. I know fucktons of people who upgraded "195" dollar starfarers to Polaris's and saved like 200 bucks doing so. Same for Cat owners (100 USD), BMM (100) and a few others.

I_MIKE_I

Space Marshal
May 7, 2016
RSI Handle
I_MIKE_I
We should find out Friday. There won't be any $0 ccu's to Eclipse
CIG still fails to see the problem... no 0$ CCU? Well guess what, the people aiming to save and especially those aiming to profit on the Grey Market can just buy the 10$ CCU from the Vanguard Sentinel.

The ones screwed are people which own Game Packages with a Retaliator Bomber that -with all do respect- has been left out and seems to be replaced by the Eclipse just like the Cutlass and Buccaneer.

I made a thread. Said thread is completely missing. I gave up
Mine is buried under dozens of "FK CIG SUCKS" and "OMG YOU ALL SUCK CIG AND ALL THEY DO IS AWESOME" Threads.

Next thread I make will be titled "TEST Squadron officially declaring War against all other Orgs", to clickbait the scumbags. >:D

I give no fucks because I am done buying ships
I'm not quite done yet, as I can't decide which Ships I'll use to accompany my BMM, but I dare saying this doesn't affect me much... and spending more money would really just be an option if I'm already close to getting a more desirable Ship.

My point remains, their solutions do not fix the core issue and the grey market sellers (and I mean those guys with 1000+ confirmed sales on reddit) will keep doin what they did. It's only the legitimate Backers that get the short end of the stick.

Doyzer

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Doyzer
I agree @I_MIKE_I with what you are saying. As someone with a lot of trades, getting rid of $0 ccu's doesn't make much a difference. I feel bad for those with physical packages that can't melt and rebuy. I doubt there are many people with original Retaliator or Aquila game packages. Honestly I don't think they ever sold a Retaliator game package. Not sure about Aquila.

There is only a few grey market traders with 1,000 trades. All CIG has to do is disable the gift button.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
...Next thread I make will be titled "TEST Squadron officially declaring War against all other Orgs", to clickbait the scumbags. >
to really pull some chains add something about taking advantage of our special relationships with developers, and Corporate Efficiency

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Well...it's better than charging 5$ for em I suppose.

But I can't help but think there's a middle ground between "remove all 0$ CCUs because 1% of people have a million of them" and "charge +5 USD for all CCUs"

I think it's a bit unfair to people who have ships at equal pricing, say Vanguard and Redeemer, that want a flyable ship over a loaner. CCUs were commonly used to "temp swap" between flyable ships and non-flyable ones. I know plenty of people that have Banu MM -> Vanguard CCUs applied right now so they can have a ship thats not a Connie. Now they're going to lose their 0$ CCU from Vanguard -> BMM, and have to pay an extra 100 bucks to get it back?

Something tells me CIG just didnt like people gaming the system with "free" credits from ships increasing in price. I know fucktons of people who upgraded "195" dollar starfarers to Polaris's and saved like 200 bucks doing so. Same for Cat owners (100 USD), BMM (100) and a few others.
I concur. I have a few of those 0 dollar CCU's in waiting for just these reasons. I want to play with the Reclaimer when she comes out, and then turn her back into my Carrack. It just makes sense to use the ship that is flyable, then switch to the ship you want later, when shes available. The ship itself is wrapped up in a Mega Explorers pack, so melting every time isn't an option. Same with my Redeemer to BMM CCU. I was going to apply that girl when the time was right.

Now I need to decide, definitively, what ships I want RIGHT NOW, before they start erasing my saved CCU's. That's fucking balls.

Also, yes, methinks they hate the fact that people got "cheaper" ships. I've upgraded many ships this way. *shrug* Oh well.

Reactions: Mich Angel
Forgot your password?