Cool mobile medical

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
It's based on the Ballista, which can be carried. So maybe?
No clue. I just saw that it was rather wide at the hips over the Ballista and am not sure it would fit through the doors anymore. Especially with the inside layout with the beds being perpendicular to the front of the rover a pathway and a stasis pod on the other side makes the rover very wide vs the Ballistia.

I really hope we will get a vehicle similar to Anvil Ballista, but with a  laboratory instead of missile platform that is connected to the main cabin  directly.: starcitizen

Reactions: Kowalski and Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
No clue. I just saw that it was rather wide at the hips over the Ballista and am not sure it would fit through the doors anymore. Especially with the inside layout with the beds being perpendicular to the front of the rover a pathway and a stasis pod on the other side makes the rover very wide vs the Ballistia.
The stasis pod shown close to the end of the video is in front of the beds... but I think that would make the thing a nightmare to steer without hitting the pod... or make for very wide turns. I dunno, it's just someone's idea...and I'm not sure what the advantage over flying ambulances is.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I was thinking about that. The only situation i can think of is the same situation where the Tonk and Ballista are also effective and that would be ground warfare pushing into a heavily secured base where the base has lots of anti-air installations making a ground assault the only way. Much like the battle of Hoth

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
...hard to see the need for a rolling ambulance when we have a flying one.
Cool concept.

But what you hit on there is what would keep me from buying one too.

I might feel differently if losing otherwise-equal-in-value ships was more painful than losing ground vehicles somehow.

Reactions: Kowalski and Vavrik

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
In a war setting, in SQ42 for example, there could be a use case for ground based support vehicles like this, for example if the area has really heavy enemy AA, which would make it too risky to constantly send medevac ships in and out.
Still with the ability of even large ships to basically just hover and follow the terrain, it would be hard to justify a big blocky target like this, unless fuel for the ships becomes an issue but not for the ground vehicle.
I like the overall idea of having a larger ground based healing unit, but...
I think it should not be mobile while in "healing mode" . It should be a medical tent truck type of deal, where it can unpack itself into a field hospital, and pack up when needed, with like 6 beds that can be stowed in transport mode while still having someone in them. But you should not be able to perform any serious healing on them until unpacked. Transportation of wounded to the unit could be handled by 1-2 small hover bikes (dragonflies or such) that comes pre packaged with the vehicle. This would provide easy access for fast fun gameloops, where some can go out to grab the casualties while the others prep to heal them. This way it's a whole package deal of gameplay loops, not just a vehicle that still needs others to buy and turn up with other vehicles.
The whole thing should fit into a Herc. It could be used as part of invasion fleets, and could serve the civ market as a hospital for orgs while they construct their homesteads on inhospitable planets or for the wealthier larger pirate orgs that are constantly on the move but require these facilites at their home base wherever that may be. It should be a deployable vehicle that is not bound to the owner bing online so it could remain in place.
Anyways, I've gone waaay off course into fantasy land with this one. With the current gameplay it's kinda pointless.

And although this vid was recommended to me by YouTube every single day, I still haven't watched it lol

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The thing I would like to see with the Ballista is the rear trailer detaches, and the cab can haul up to X of them at once. Then the trailers are remote operated from a base. So suppose you can fit one cab and three trailers in a Herc. That would then become the standard deploy unit. Adding other kinds of trailers like medical is a no brainer after that.

Just be sure not to leave them all behind for your enemies when you have to evacuate. They'll end up payment for crappy, amateur art work.

Kowalski

Captain
Aug 3, 2021
RSI Handle
KowaIski
I see the same potential gotchas with ground base medical as I do with rovers: at the moment it's simply far more convenient to just use the ship to hop around.

One immersion/"hardmode" implementation I'd like to see is a cooldown or extra fuel requirement for taking off from land that isn't a pad. No Man's Sky does this pretty well, requiring either crafted/purchased "launch fuel" or a ship upgrade to passively recharge launch thrusters over time.

It sounds inconvenient but it really adds value to ground based exploration and vehicles than if one simply chooses not to hop around out of principle.

Similarly, the nerfing of ship weapons in atmosphere will bring greater value to ground vehicles in the same way....at 10.5k HP the Nova is vulnerable to ezmode airstrikes from starter ships.

Forgot your password?