Custom Dual Stick Build

honcho12

Space Marshal
Oct 12, 2014
RSI Handle
honcho12
My fellow TESTies, I'm excited to say that I'm finally starting fabrication on my custom dual sticks! When I'm done, I'm aiming for an ugly frankenstick, with some rusty old steel tubing forming the base, two halves of an xbox controller as the grips, and(eventually) a trackball mouse where the right thumbstick used to be. I'm hoping for the best of all worlds; comfort, familiarity, plenty of axis/buttons, and absolute aiming for gimbaled weapons. I don't really like the idea of twisty sticks, so I'm not going to bother with that. Those of you keeping track at home should have counted 10 total degrees of freedom; more DOF, more better. I will be adding more buttons, but I'm holding off on that until I actually know where buttons will be comfortable to reach.

I spent some time after work yesterday at the college machine shop, and I picked out some nice scrap pieces. After a some time finalizing my plans with the scraps I found and starting on the machining, I've got something I can show off!(sorry for the image quality)

The big chunk of steel is the housing and base, the smaller chunk of steel is the center part of the gimbal, the little pieces of aluminum are going to be mounts for the bearing. Below are some CAD renderings of the gimbal, the first with a transparent housing, the second I removed the housing and made the center of the gimbal transparent. I'm using 5/16 socket head cap screws instead of 8mm shaft because the bolts are much more free and are practically the same size.

On the electronics side of things, I'm going to be using an Arduino with MMJoy to interface with windows, and another little Arduino to translate the combined motions of both sticks into pitch/yaw/roll/heave like this:

In my head, those motions feel very intuitive and immersive. I can tie sway to the analog thumbstick, and although I don't really think I'll need analog control over throttle, I can tie it to the other axis of the analog thumbstick as well for 6DOF analog control over the ship(yay!). The triggers on the xbox controller both have analog pots, so that will give me fancy dynamic zoom, and maybe a tiered trigger with energy weapons firing when the trigger is half pulled, and ballistic weapons firing when it is fully pulled.

I'll post a full BOM once I know everything's going to work together.

Many thanks to:
052 of TEST for https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/192975/my-guide-to-building-a-custom-6-axis-stick-using-the-arduino-pro-micro#latest, Okona on the RSI forums for ideas, and mega_mozg_13 for http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3899105/all/MMJoy_-_Build_your_own_USB_con

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
This promises to be a pretty awesome project. TEST has already created some amazing custom controls, I look forward to seeing your work!

Flashwit

Space Marshal
Nov 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Flashwit
I can only hope this exceeds the level of fucked up of that yoke with the dismembered xbox controller hotglued to it.

honcho12

Space Marshal
Oct 12, 2014
RSI Handle
honcho12
Update time:

I've made a little progress on the gimbal, and I made friends with someone with a 3d printer, so the some of the trickier parts became a lot simpler to make. The outer housing is mostly done, and everything fits so far:

On the electronics side of things, I've hacked up the xbox controller that is donating its juicy delicious analog sticks/triggers to the project, and got that all wired in to the arduino. Everything works great so far with MMJoy, so I have high hopes for the future.

Next step is to figure out RC filters so that I can get my overly complicated combined control system figured out, and obviously finish the gimbal.

Groundstain

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Groundstain
Your race set-up has my curiosity piqued.
I see what you are doing here, but I still see wear areas. I cant wait to see more of your design.
Good job so far!!!

honcho12

Space Marshal
Oct 12, 2014
RSI Handle
honcho12
Your race set-up has my curiosity piqued.
I see what you are doing here, but I still see wear areas. I cant wait to see more of your design.
Good job so far!!!
Are you talking about how the bearings are supported? The outer race(which is attached to the shield) is getting clamped between the aluminum piece, and the steel housing, but the holes are big enough to not interfere with the inner race, or the head of the screw. Just holding it all together by hand it feels very smooth. Or were you talking about different wear areas?

Groundstain

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Groundstain
Are you talking about how the bearings are supported? The outer race(which is attached to the shield) is getting clamped between the aluminum piece, and the steel housing, but the holes are big enough to not interfere with the inner race, or the head of the screw. Just holding it all together by hand it feels very smooth. Or were you talking about different wear areas?

Pay no attention to the idiot behind the computer... I misinterpreted your photos. I get what you're doing, it's pretty cool.

Forgot your password?