Cyberpunk 2077 at E3 this year

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
E3 has been a good one this year. There have been quite a few exciting updates and announcements. The one that sticks out the most for me though, is Cyberpunk 2077. I really enjoy the cyberpunk world. I grew up with it. The world was just so amazing. It never really stuck around though as it wasn't really scify and it didn't fit in fantasy. As a result, it faded over the years and you don't really see much for new additions in the genre.

I've been keeping an eye on Cyberpunk 2077 for a couple years at least. It showed some huge potential, especially when considering the people involved with it. However, not much was being released. There was a basic trailer of intent, but that was about it. Until now.

They finally started showing the world they are building. If the trailer is any indication, it is going to be both massive and diverse. If you know much about the Cyberpunk world that Mike Pondsmith created, you will be greeted with a whole host of information. So much is jammed into the trailer that I had to watch it a few times to catch it all.

Needless to say, I am very excited. We might be looking at a proper addition to the genre soon.

Kenlee

Space Marshal
Apr 30, 2017
RSI Handle
Kenlee
Usually i'm not a lot for trailers - hard to judge a game if there's no real gameplay to see yet, and yet here I am sitting on the hypetrain, my expectations are sky high when it comes to CD Projekt RED, and that may mostly lead to being disappointed. But damnit this game looks awesome, where do I buy it, JUST TAKE MY MONEY NOW.

RiceMaiden

Admiral
Jan 21, 2017
RSI Handle
RiceMaiden
If the trailer is any indication, it is going to be both massive and diverse.
Based on the city being kinda circular in shape and "contained" I'm hoping it's not huge. I don't want a huge world devoid of life and energy. Make it smaller, make it contained... but make it fun and interesting.

That being said, HYPE ENGINES AT FULL THROTTLE.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
Im pre-ordering what ever they put out, even its a pile of dog shit with LED's.
I am right there with you. They will have my money at their earliest possible convenience.

Based on the city being kinda circular in shape and "contained" I'm hoping it's not huge. I don't want a huge world devoid of life and energy. Make it smaller, make it contained... but make it fun and interesting.

That being said, HYPE ENGINES AT FULL THROTTLE.
I completely understand. I have the same concern with most MMOs that have sprawling, massive, open main cities. The first thought in my head is "this is going to make the game look dead even if there are hundreds of players in here". The same goes for any game world that is huge. It either gets repetitive, or it feels vacant and lifeless.

That's where Star Citizen comes in. One of the many industry changing things that SC is working on, is the NPC management. Currently we have "I used to be an adventurer, but then I took a arrow/bullet/plasma/magic missile to the knee." It's so bland and repetitive but we have lacked the tech to move forward.

That's all changing though. CIG is pushing that line forward and the other developers must follow. I guarantee they are all watching SC very closely and using similar ideas in their games. The end result is that worlds will feel alive like they have never felt before. It will allow massive worlds to feel immersive instead of abandoned.

CIG is planning to have 9 npc's for every player. That's huge. Most MMO's have, what, 1 to 1 ratio if not 2 players per NPC? In single player games, you have a "villiage" of 6 people all standing in front of their house/hut? It's not just that though. Every NPC will have a plan, job, or purpose. They won't just be taking the usual 5 steps east, 5 steps west, repeat ad nauseum. They will be doing things, completing jobs, carrying items around, moving around each other, reacting (even at a basic level) to the world around them.

It's going to be a missing piece of the puzzle that nobody knew was missing until it finally clicks into place. With it, people will find an unprecedented level of immersion. Without it, worlds will seem monochrome. It's fine now, but soon, every developer will be forced to incorporate this tech into every game world. So, long story short, I have high hopes that this is what CD:Red is hinting at when they keep mentioning the "vibrant world".

... But, like Montoya said, even if it turns out badly I will still buy it.

Forgot your password?