Deadlines for both games? Hidden Private investments? WTF is going on?

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tvTZB0SgPo&ab_channel=Morphologis

Paging Dr. @Montoya ! We need an expert opinion so the Ministry of Truth can form it's official stance on the matter! (unless this was already covered. I was helldivin the past month, just like half the world so...)

What's you guys' take on this? Is this a nothingburger, just wild speculation like it feels to be, or are we getting SC launched this Christmas? Did CR lie to us about everything? Will the private investors demand CiG replaces all ships with rainbow unicorns? Am I going to become the next Queen of Britannia?

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
No one (apart from us citizens of course) is going to make large investment in a project without tangible non negotiable goals and targets. Missing deadlines set by these big whale investor agreements could spell the end of the company so it's likely that if this is the case - the game will launch at some point even if it's not ready.

Who knows. One thing for sure, seem to be more progress in last 12 months than in the last 12 years so somethings going on given CIG a poke up the ass.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I'm not entirely surprised by any of this, since these massive investment bankers having become members of the CIG board isn't exactly new information. Do I want CIG to released a buggy mess of SQ42? (Thinking the release of Cyberpunk 2077) Hell no, but I'm also not denying that CIG did need a massive kick in the ass to help motivate CR to focus more on the overall end results than the minute details of each thing along the way. Thus having a sort of checks & balances to keep the projects moving forward, even when new tech is having to be created to facilitate such is progress.

I still believe that we will get to enjoy both SQ42 & Star Citizen when they are ready, even if they're not as perfected as CR might desire. It'll still be an improvement to us that have been playing & testing SC for years. LoL

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tvTZB0SgPo&ab_channel=Morphologis

Paging Dr. @Montoya ! We need an expert opinion so the Ministry of Truth can form it's official stance on the matter! (unless this was already covered. I was helldivin the past month, just like half the world so...)

What's you guys' take on this? Is this a nothingburger, just wild speculation like it feels to be, or are we getting SC launched this Christmas? Did CR lie to us about everything? Will the private investors demand CiG replaces all ships with rainbow unicorns? Am I going to become the next Queen of Britannia?
Investments were never hidden. The community was very much aware of them, but the exact terms were not revealed. These are decent terms for CIG, but if they fail, it could have SERIOUS impacts on the ability to grow the game depending on how the wording of the document, Does payable out of available cash in excess of that required to effectively operate the company mean continued development would be allowed, or only maintenance of the systems to operate the game? Does it mean that CIG could be forced to layoff significant numbers of employees or move to cheaper office spaces? Vague wordings (which we have here) can be interpreted very differently by different people. I suspect that the answers are much better defined, but we don't have those at this time.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
So my clickbait title of "hidden" investors worked! Cool!

I was hoping for some more juicy deets on this matter from you whom are more dedicated to following what's going on outside the game, but I guess we won't know anything about the real impact these investments may have unless someone releases the actual contract, or CiG suddenly goes under.
Anyways, I do agree it's kind of a good thing that they have outside influence pushing them to deliver, I just hope we don't end up with another case of Cyberpunk where even the most basic stuff is still as broken as today upon release.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
So my clickbait title of "hidden" investors worked! Cool!

I was hoping for some more juicy deets on this matter from you whom are more dedicated to following what's going on outside the game, but I guess we won't know anything about the real impact these investments may have unless someone releases the actual contract, or CiG suddenly goes under.
Anyways, I do agree it's kind of a good thing that they have outside influence pushing them to deliver, I just hope we don't end up with another case of Cyberpunk where even the most basic stuff is still as broken as today upon release.
The most basic stuff is broken now, why are you expecting it to be magically fixed at release?

seriously, I am still having box mission delivery issues in 3.22. Why is this still a problem for CIG? Should these not have been fixed over 2 years ago? They keep saying they are, but they keep having issues.

I suspect that there is so much spaghetti code that they can’t fix this right now, not u til they go through and do a full optimization of the code, which they can’t do until CIG says “these are the features in 1.0, now we polish for 12 months.” All new features will be in 1.3 which we plan on releasing 6-8 months after 1.0 is finally released. Of course, I don’t see CIg ever doing this, so Ifully expect to see broken gameplay after broken gameplay long after 1.0 is released…because we allow it.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Interesting and impressive that they had over 800 players on one shard last weekend. That’s twice the breakthrough they made last month. I know players don’t often care about these numbers, but these are numbers that directly reflect what play experience will be like, and whether object persistence and server meshing are actually working. Looks like they are. These were the last big challenges, so. . .

I’m still pissed they pulled the holoview display from the Polaris, but this almost kinda makes up for it, that they’re majoring on the major stuff and minoring on the minor stuff.

Now if they’ll just put the holoviewer back. They need to do it for the Idris and 400i, so what’s the big deal?

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
seriously, I am still having box mission delivery issues in 3.22. Why is this still a problem for CIG? Should these not have been fixed over 2 years ago? They keep saying they are, but they keep having issues.
In fairness, I have issues getting packages delivered in RL when something is ordered online and this happens more often than I have major glitches in game lately. I expect things to improve in game more than I do in RL.

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
No one (apart from us citizens of course) is going to make large investment in a project without tangible non negotiable goals and targets. Missing deadlines set by these big whale investor agreements could spell the end of the company so it's likely that if this is the case - the game will launch at some point even if it's not ready.
I'm not so sure about this. The funding charts all indicate consistent funding growth every year except for 2017 from ship sales to backers. Now over $100M/year, I'm skeptical that any 'outsiders' can exert a stronger financial lever than that! At this point, I'd think CIG could just buy-out any old investors if they wanted/needed to. I know they don't have that cash-in-hand, but a quick new-ship sale would conceivably cover a large chunk of that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/18ke6qa View: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/18ke6qa/does_this_mean_2023_funding_how_now_officially/

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
The most basic stuff is broken now, why are you expecting it to be magically fixed at release?

I suspect that there is so much spaghetti code that they can’t fix this right now, not u til they go through and do a full optimization of the code, which they can’t do until CIG says “these are the features in 1.0, now we polish for 12 months.” All new features will be in 1.3 which we plan on releasing 6-8 months after 1.0 is finally released. Of course, I don’t see CIg ever doing this, so Ifully expect to see broken gameplay after broken gameplay long after 1.0 is released…because we allow it.
Most of the issues, like you're describing, have been fixed, only to have them break in the very next build. That isn't, necessarily, a code base issue, but, more likely, an issue with build discipline.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
In fairness, I have issues getting packages delivered in RL when something is ordered online and this happens more often than I have major glitches in game lately. I expect things to improve in game more than I do in RL.
I only have issues with Fed-Ex ground. Amazon is fine here, but think's my Mom's house is across the street, even with the GIANT FREAKING NUMBERS next to the driveway.

Forgot your password?