F.lux

Lockhearts

Commander
Oct 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Lockhearts
Hey guys, so it occurred to me today while talking to friends about some programs that we use and also the responses I got from the RSI forums when replying to a post a while back that not that many people know about F.lux, this is a program that I've used for some time now and for some reason always thought it was a well known program, but I guess not.
So I thought I'd make a post here for those that might not know about it.

Effectively it's a program that subtly changes the colour of you monitors depending on the time, as the day gets later it will slightly tone your monitors more orange (or more warm) all you have to do is download it and set your location, there are some other settings for it but I've always kept them on default and if you close the program late at night you will instantly see the difference in colour. Think of it as a replacement for those orange gaming glasses.

I'm sure many of you already have it or know about it, just didn't see a post here so thought it was worth mentioning.

F.lux

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Hey guys, so it occurred to me today while talking to friends about some programs that we use and also the responses I got from the RSI forums when replying to a post a while back that not that many people know about F.lux, this is a program that I've used for some time now and for some reason always thought it was a well known program, but I guess not.
So I thought I'd make a post here for those that might not know about it.

Effectively it's a program that subtly changes the colour of you monitors depending on the time, as the day gets later it will slightly tone your monitors more orange (or more warm) all you have to do is download it and set your location, there are some other settings for it but I've always kept them on default and if you close the program late at night you will instantly see the difference in colour. Think of it as a replacement for those orange gaming glasses.

I'm sure many of you already have it or know about it, just didn't see a post here so thought it was worth mentioning.

F.lux
Sweet. I imagining you use this in a room with ambient light? Would it be useful if my computer was in a windowless basement?

Lockhearts

Commander
Oct 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Lockhearts
It might not be that useful if you have your lights on all the time, I often play with the lights off at night so you can imagine how bright the screens would look, but with this it definitely reduces the issue

Reactions: Blind Owl

mindfart

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
mindfart
It still helps when you have lightning on all the time, it even has indications for which settings to use at what kinds of lightning levels.

Since I'm a sysadmin, and sit behind my computer like 90% of my free time as well I used to have a lot of trouble with eye fatigue. Since I've been using f.lux I am experiencing way less problems with eye fatigue. (no I am not being sponsored by f.lux lol)

Reactions: Blind Owl
Forgot your password?