Fallout 4 review and thoughts after 150hrs

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Well, its done.

I finished the main story line with the Institute. Looks like nothing but side quests and "go kill raiders" from here on until a DLC!

I have three X-01's (still can't find that damn leg for one of them!) and more BoS power armors than I can count.

If there was something I could change, it would be that power armor be a lot harder to get, or at least upgrade.

Starting off with the X-45 with missing pieces, it would have made for a lot more interesting and rewarding game play if parts and complete armor were extremely rare.

Walking down the street and finding a full X-51 set within the first few hours was so exciting, I thought I hit a major jackpot, but then you keep walking and keep finding them.

I thought fusion cores would be a problem, but sentry bots yield two every time and I have more than I could ever use.

Armors and cores turn into more of a hoarding mechanic than one that is essential to the game.

I would have liked to have that one single frame and have had to work and scrounge to slowly upgrade it as the game progressed. A Frankenstein power armor with pieces from Raiders and other places which slowly becomes the X-01 by mid-game.

I say mid-game because getting the white paint job as a reward at the end of the Institute story is great, but now Im at a level where I dont even need the power armor anymore, so it sits around in Red Rocket gathering radioactive dust.

Now I have the fully maxed out armor, all the perks, all the goodies I want, but nothing to do with them.

There is still more work to be done on settlements which should take a few more hours, but other than that, I am extremely pleased with the FO4 experience and looking forward to what comes next!

Lockhearts

Commander
Oct 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Lockhearts
I dunno I'm still undecided about it. Been playing a sneaky sniper type of character and only used the power armor once when I met the Minutemen and yet I still have like 4 armor sets sitting at the settlement, and settlements themselves I've not bothered with at all, I find it just to tedious and simply don't care about the people there, oh Mama Murphy you want a chair ? you don't say... The rads aren't that big of a deal either, I got a hazmat suit early on and I'm sitting on 150 Radaway as well as almost 300 Stimpaks

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
I stopped playing after 3-4 days, I lost interest in the characters, I found the graphics sub par compared to other games out, overall I guess I am just not a huge Fallout guy since the overhead strategy series I used to enjoy. I did like the open world aspect, but outside of that I got bored. Not to say its a bad game, just not my cup of tea.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
I love Fallout. See pic for proof: (+ Fallout 3 + NV Collector's Editions out of frame).

Took me a week to finish the game with 3 of the 4 main factions (Railroad just didn't do it for me), and I completely lost interest in it. I think a few years ago I would've ground any game just for grind's sake, to level up a lot and become overpowered. Today, with so many good games around just waiting to be played, I can't be bothered to invest more time into a game whose story I already finished. Otherwise, it's a beautiful game and I'd recommend it to anyone. It just lost its flavor for me when the main story ended. In most games I play, I'm a completionist: get all the collectibles, achievements etc. In Fallout 4, I don't see a point. Plus, the UI not telling you what items you've got and what you're yet to get - making me use a pen and paper to track my collecting progress - made me abandon this pursuit. Sure, I'll probably replay it several times in the future, but I wouldn't sit and grind mindlessly just to get that perfect build.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I stopped playing after 3-4 days, I lost interest in the characters, I found the graphics sub par compared to other games out, overall I guess I am just not a huge Fallout guy since the overhead strategy series I used to enjoy. I did like the open world aspect, but outside of that I got bored. Not to say its a bad game, just not my cup of tea.
Its not for everybody.

If a game fails to grab your attention in the first few hours, odds are its not going happen.

Everybody was raving about Assassins Creed Black Flag, I played through about 8hrs and it just did not do it for me.

I loved the previous AC games though.

Reactions: Phil

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
. Today, with so many good games around just waiting to be played, I can't be bothered to invest more time into a game whose story I already finished.
I would agree, for most people the main story line is what keeps you engaged, but for the roleplayers there is plenty more to do.

Not to mention DLCs eventually.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Its not for everybody.

If a game fails to grab your attention in the first few hours, odds are its not going happen.

Everybody was raving about Assassins Creed Black Flag, I played through about 8hrs and it just did not do it for me.

I loved the previous AC games though.
Totally agree, I know its a good game, it has a huge following, I used to love the old fallout overhead strat style and I agree some AC games had me yawning after a few days as well, I think its me and my lack of dedication to see a game through lol, but for game of the year I think witcher 3 was over all a better game and story, dragons age had a great story as well. Again not trying to bash any ones game, I think its just my personal taste veered a bit. :P

Anyone else looking forward to The Division and Ghost Recon??

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
@Montoya, Well Done.

PTU testing has pre-occupied me but I am anxious to return to FO4.
I was not sure if I would like it but it is addictive.
It was a gift from a friend, what a friend indeed.

Stee Jans

Grand Admiral
Sep 1, 2015
RSI Handle
SteeJans
Overall, I was very happy with the game. I watched Angry Joes review on youtube and he hit the nail on the head. Yes, they dumbed down the rpg elements of the game, yes the dialogue system sucks ass, yes the quests are repetitive (go here, kill shit till it's dead, come back) but all that aside, I still lost myself for hours in the game. The immersion was great, the voice acting was great, the main story (though short and slightly predictable) was gripping and fun and the changes to power armor were perfect. I'm very excited for the DLC.

Also.. the cutest damn robot ever. "Remember to breathe. I keep thinking, if I forget to do this, no more Curie"

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
The graphics are definately better by a huge margirin >.>

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
Better than what? Fallout 3? Ya marginally :p Other games not so much, that old lady that needed a chair looked like yoda.
You can have either have great mods or great graphics. Bethesda sells their games as mod friendly. They even said the could turn up the graphics but then it was difficult to mod. FO4 looks better than fo3 with its high texture pack. Fo4 is still missing its high texture pack.

Alot of these complaints are the same complainta for fo3 fonv and skyrim. People have put fo4 on a pedestal and praised it thinking they aere getting modded skyrim graphic level. Many were worshipping on a false idea with no clue what theh were doing. Then when it comes out they call lies, when bethesda never really said anything. We have seen the graphics for months and we knew what it would look like. Just boggles my mind people were expecting more from a product that we saw a final edition a month before.

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
Rads mechanic is definitely too easy to manage. You can just cure all your rads away for a paltry 40 caps!

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
Rads mechanic is definitely too easy to manage. You can just cure all your rads away for a paltry 40 caps!
Well, ammo seems to me like the primary resource in Fallout. Radiation is just a minor nuisance.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
You can have either have great mods or great graphics. Bethesda sells their games as mod friendly. They even said the could turn up the graphics but then it was difficult to mod. FO4 looks better than fo3 with its high texture pack. Fo4 is still missing its high texture pack.

Alot of these complaints are the same complainta for fo3 fonv and skyrim. People have put fo4 on a pedestal and praised it thinking they aere getting modded skyrim graphic level. Many were worshipping on a false idea with no clue what theh were doing. Then when it comes out they call lies, when bethesda never really said anything. We have seen the graphics for months and we knew what it would look like. Just boggles my mind people were expecting more from a product that we saw a final edition a month before.
Sorry I did not mean for this to turn into a bash thread, I should have never have made any comments, I said numerous times it was not my cup of tea, it was not the graphics that did it in for me just the play itself, again I am glad you guys like it, its a great game that has been around a long time, I played the original myself, I apologize :)

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth
I dunno I'm still undecided about it. Been playing a sneaky sniper type of character and only used the power armor once when I met the Minutemen and yet I still have like 4 armor sets sitting at the settlement, and settlements themselves I've not bothered with at all, I find it just to tedious and simply don't care about the people there, oh Mama Murphy you want a chair ? you don't say... The rads aren't that big of a deal either, I got a hazmat suit early on and I'm sitting on 150 Radaway as well as almost 300 Stimpaks
Yeah similiar to my experience but I also put 180 hours of settlement building into the game first and got my first 30 levels that way. I started the main story, maybe 2-3 hours into it, just joined the brotherhood and did a single mission for them.

My biggest regret so far, are all the spoilers. I tried NOT to know what was going on in the game, and well, I pretty much learnt everything from people and their posting or chatting. I feel it took some surprise out of the game. However, I am also under the impression the game is sort small - storyline wise.

Semphis Rythorn

Rear Admiral
Aug 9, 2014
RSI Handle
Semphis_Rythorn
main reason i avoided this thread is because it will be full of spoilers

but yeah overall i enjoyed the game, but New Vegas still holds the title of well developed story out of the new generation of fallout games

Naruw

Grand Admiral
Aug 4, 2015
RSI Handle
Naruw
I saw this video and I was laughing hysterically, that may be a indicator ive played this game to much...

Forgot your password?