Graphics Card - Good Deal?

Graptor

Space Marshal
Jul 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Graptor
I know this has been debated almost endlessly on the forums, but here goes again.

Amazon seems to have a good deal on a card (black friday deal?), and I actually need *something* to play right now. I am still using my daughter's gaming computer, and even that's getting dated. Mine has never been good enough. So, I want to upgrade the standard Dell card to this:

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Support-Graphics-02G-P4-6150-KR/dp/B01M9FD3PC

I have a box I just acquired that has an i5 cpu, and 6 GB memory (I may up that also).

My budget it not small, it's tiny. And I'll be able to upgrade later as the game evolves, but for now, I'm on a micro-budget, and I just want to limp along without wanting to poke my eyes out with a stick (or drink more whiskey and less beer).

Thoughts? Better deals for similar price (say, $150 or less)?

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
It seems to be a pretty good deal. It's better than what I got my 960 at, anyways. I don't know much about graphics cards though.

Reactions: Graptor

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
You know that doesn't seem to be that great a deal. It is just a plain 1050, not a 1050Ti, and only has 2GB of memory.

Check out this review:
https://www.techspot.com/review/1269-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050/page3.html

I think the sweet spot for price/performance is still the 1060. Note, we should be getting a new gen of GPU's early-ish next year, I'd wait and save some money up for the next gen entry level.

Edit: just my personal opinion, but "Amazon", "Black Friday" and "Good Deals" all seem to be contradictions in terms.

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
It's a good chip and will play the game on medium/high I recommend, I have the 1080 and can play on a single 1080p monitor maxed (not played 3.0 yet) so I imagine with your current set up this will give a night and day difference.

Go for it, shop around, Amazon are not infallible and there are better deals around if you search so don't just use Amazon for your deals.

TLDR great card good price, don't depend on Amazon.

Reactions: Graptor

Graptor

Space Marshal
Jul 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Graptor
Go for it.
Went for it

You know that doesn't seem to be that great a deal. It is just a plain 1050, not a 1050Ti, and only has 2GB of memory.
I think the sweet spot for price/performance is still the 1060. Note, we should be getting a new gen of GPU's early-ish next year, I'd wait and save some money up for the next gen entry level.

Edit: just my personal opinion, but "Amazon", "Black Friday" and "Good Deals" all seem to be contradictions in terms.
I caved and went for the 1050 ti. It wasn't that much more, and by watching the price go up and down since yesterday, pulled the trigger at $154. Had to go Amazon, as I had a bunch of gift cards and transfer points available, so it brought my real price down to under $100.

It's a good chip and will play the game on medium/high I recommend, I have the 1080 and can play on a single 1080p monitor maxed (not played 3.0 yet) so I imagine with your current set up this will give a night and day difference.

Go for it, shop around, Amazon are not infallible and there are better deals around if you search so don't just use Amazon for your deals.

TLDR great card good price, don't depend on Amazon.
Night and day is right. I can't play at all with my current setup. So at least I can play for a while, and if next year the GPU's are next generation, my budget might be bigger then too. :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Graptor

Space Marshal
Jul 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Graptor
Well worth the investment, even if it is short-term for the next 6-9 months. Plays great with the 2.6.3 PU.

Reactions: Sraika

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
The SC card for $115 looks great value - it sounds like it will be much better than what you had before!

Forgot your password?