HOTAS/HOSAS setup upgrade

Mio Fujii

Commander
Donor
Sep 15, 2023
RSI Handle
Mio_Fujii
I'm currently running the logitech x56 HOTAS setup and thinking of going to a Virpil HOSAS setup. Luckily my flight sim seat can take the Virpils with no issue. Would it be worth my time and money to make that upgrade, since I am more of an industrial (large ship) pilot??

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I'm currently running the logitech x56 HOTAS setup and thinking of going to a Virpil HOSAS setup. Luckily my flight sim seat can take the Virpils with no issue. Would it be worth my time and money to make that upgrade, since I am more of an industrial (large ship) pilot??
If you have the money for it and see Star Citizen as a serious investment I'll say yes.

A Virpil HOSAS setup really made the game come alive as a Space Sim for me. Prior to that I was using a pair of Thrustmaster T16000s which were great but were getting a bit worn out. Going from that to the Virpils was like going from a nice Toyota Sedan to a Maserati. :glorious:

Reactions: KuruptU4Fun

Mio Fujii

Commander
Donor
Sep 15, 2023
RSI Handle
Mio_Fujii
Virpil has a really nice throttle too. Thinking of eventually getting a left stick and the throttle and switching out based on what I am going to be doing.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Virpil has a really nice throttle too. Thinking of eventually getting a left stick and the throttle and switching out based on what I am going to be doing.
HOSAS is great for fighter dogfighting, HOTAS for the bigger ships.

Pedals are great too and worth considering.

RoosterRage

Captain
Donor
Jul 16, 2022
RSI Handle
RoosterRage
I have the Virpil throttle it is very nice, it has a mini-stick on the front that I use for strafing left-right, up-down so I don't have the need for duel sticks. Plus the split throttle is great for mining and all the extra buttons covers all my controls, either way I don't think you can go wrong as they are good quality and was a great Upgrade from my Warthog Hotas.

Reactions: KuruptU4Fun

Wintermute

Space Marshal
May 3, 2018
RSI Handle
Wintermute_e1
If you are playing a lot of Arena Commander and/or fly a lot of fighters ingame I would also recommend a HOSAS setup. But try first a setup with two "Thrustmaster T16000". They are good for the price (but they dont last long - be aware of this - the Z-twist axis is cheap). If you like the HOSAS setup you can sell the T16000 on ebay and buy the Virpils. The Throttle, 2 Sticks and 2 Base was ~1400Euro (with tax and shipping) back then... sooo... u really should be into space games when you want to buy them....

[EDIT:]
ok - I just saw your other post with your current Setup and I dont think money is the issue.... just buy the Virpils... :D

Last edited:

Mio Fujii

Commander
Donor
Sep 15, 2023
RSI Handle
Mio_Fujii
I'm not much of a combat pilot, more industrial or "large combat" ships. Still haven't decided which way to go with a new setup so going to stick with the x56 for the time being.

Mio Fujii

Commander
Donor
Sep 15, 2023
RSI Handle
Mio_Fujii
My Virpil components should be here in a couple of days. Went with a joystick for right, throttle and a command pad for left and rudder pedals. Have a good idea of the basic setup I am going to use, then will add extra stuff as it comes up.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

KuruptU4Fun

Vice Admiral
Dec 10, 2021
RSI Handle
KuruptU4Fun68
My Virpil components should be here in a couple of days. Went with a joystick for right, throttle and a command pad for left and rudder pedals. Have a good idea of the basic setup I am going to use, then will add extra stuff as it comes up.
Awesome, I've got a base profile setup you can start from if you'd like!

Mio Fujii

Commander
Donor
Sep 15, 2023
RSI Handle
Mio_Fujii
I'm still trying to decide if I want to completely customize the profile or get something already set up.

Mio Fujii

Commander
Donor
Sep 15, 2023
RSI Handle
Mio_Fujii
Finally got all my virpil component set up on my flight sim seat. Got worried when I couldn't get the joystick to work: ended up being I selected the wrong version of grip and needed to switch it and get the profile saved with the correct one. Finished the rough wiring, think I will switch to 3d printed clips. Now I need to start setting up the components. Thinking I will get the basics set up first, then add more as I go.

Nevermore26

Lieutenant
Apr 12, 2024
RSI Handle
Nevermore26
Finally got all my virpil component set up on my flight sim seat. Got worried when I couldn't get the joystick to work: ended up being I selected the wrong version of grip and needed to switch it and get the profile saved with the correct one. Finished the rough wiring, think I will switch to 3d printed clips. Now I need to start setting up the components. Thinking I will get the basics set up first, then add more as I go.
Curious what you ended up doing for your profile for you HOSAS setup?

Mio Fujii

Commander
Donor
Sep 15, 2023
RSI Handle
Mio_Fujii
I was waiting on 3.23 to drop since I was hearing there were quite a few keybind changes and wasn't sure how that would affect joysticks. Of course, 3.23 would drop on my "Monday", so won't be able to even look at it until Sunday. I have just been doing research on particular pieces of the setup, like using the flip switch for missiles.

KuruptU4Fun

Vice Admiral
Dec 10, 2021
RSI Handle
KuruptU4Fun68
I would not mind seeing your Base Profile - Buzz's looks amazing, however am looking for something a bit more basic as I dive back in.
Untitled.png

The BK one is from a guy named Buzzkiller who I took some stuff from, my EVA isn't working right just yet. But if you want to build from this I'm happy to get you the files somehow.

images of Buzzkillers Virpil layouts and others.

Forgot your password?