How do you decide which ships to buy?

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I too suffer from ship indecision. Also known as broken heart. Broken because I cannot fly all the ships at once. And I cannot afford to clone myself repeatedly to fly all the ships at once.

So alas, I find myself trying to decide on a small fleet for myself. And I cannot. *sniffle*

You must decide what you want to do, and base your fleet on that. That's the easiest way to go about it.

That being said, I have not yet decided what I want to do. So I flounder, and melt, and buy-back, and decide, and change my mind. Then I get upset, and drunk, and buy a ship I shouldn't, and I end up repeating the whole effing process over and over.

And there you go. I haven't helped you. Nor myself. *sigh*

;)

darjanator

TEST Master Brewer
Jan 18, 2015
RSI Handle
darjanator
I was going to fill my hangar with Aegis ships, because I find them the most attractive, but they don't really mesh with my planned role playing, so I just went with the ship that fit the bill and got a carrack.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I too suffer from ship indecision. Also known as broken heart. Broken because I cannot fly all the ships at once. And I cannot afford to clone myself repeatedly to fly all the ships at once.

So alas, I find myself trying to decide on a small fleet for myself. And I cannot. *sniffle*

You must decide what you want to do, and base your fleet on that. That's the easiest way to go about it.

That being said, I have not yet decided what I want to do. So I flounder, and melt, and buy-back, and decide, and change my mind. Then I get upset, and drunk, and buy a ship I shouldn't, and I end up repeating the whole effing process over and over.

And there you go. I haven't helped you. Nor myself. *sigh*

;)
I buy my ships based on only what I need and want to do. My Starfarer is to gather huge amounts of fuel to keep my ships going. My Carrack is for finding all sorts of things like minerals and floating junk to salvage. My Reclaimer is for finding scrap and gathering components. My (sometime to be) Endeavor is to experiment and overclock those components. Might get that little mining ship to take advantage of those found minerals. And I'll probably have a fighter/racer to fuck around...

See, only the bare minimum of what I need!

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
I buy my ships based on only what I need and want to do. My Starfarer is to gather huge amounts of fuel to keep my ships going. My Carrack is for finding all sorts of things like minerals and floating junk to salvage. My Reclaimer is for finding scrap and gathering components. My (sometime to be) Endeavor is to experiment and overclock those components. Might get that little mining ship to take advantage of those found minerals. And I'll probably have a fighter/racer to fuck around...

See, only the bare minimum of what I need!
You need a ship to haul those minerals. You also need a ship to repair other ships. You might also need an alien ship for pimping. I don't think you're done yet.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
You need a ship to haul those minerals. You also need a ship to repair other ships. You might also need an alien ship for pimping. I don't think you're done yet.
Hmmmm, I do have that Andromeda to Caterpillar CCU on my account. As well as Sabre to Xi'an Scout...

Reactions: Blind Owl

Xian-Luc Picard

Space Marshal
Jan 9, 2016
RSI Handle
Xian-Luc_Picard
Have you considered a Freelancer DUR?
An exploration ship with dedicated sensors and extra fuels tanks which can be used for General purpose as well (trading, etc).
It can be flown Solo or with a crew of 5 for team play with friends.
It will also be able to use any Jump Gate (small to large).

It is not a large ship but you have the Cat and the larger ships are more purpose built as you have explained.

Just a thought.

Full disclosure - It is my favorite personal ship.
The Carrack is my favorite ship but I want to crew on them, not own one.
I second the Freelancer DUR. It will be a versatile ship, for sure.

I also feel the same way about the Carrack. It will be a lot of fun to crew....

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I second the Freelancer DUR. It will be a versatile ship, for sure.

I also feel the same way about the Carrack. It will be a lot of fun to crew....
I initially LOVED the DUR. But it kinda fell away as I found more specialized ships. It's a good ship, but it doesn't do the job as well as a Carrack.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
while various other activities may be more or less fun depending on game mechanics, my experience is that blowing shit up is always fun

the unique advantage to buying ships as a backer is LTI

so I bought LTI versions of the ships I will be flying in combat, and likely replacing often

Aurora LN, Super Hornet, Freelancer MIS

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
while various other activities may be more or less fun depending on game mechanics, my experience is that blowing shit up is always fun

so I bought LTI versions of the ships I will be flying in combat, and likely replacing often

I am slowly transitioning all of my ships over to LTI as well. Just waiting on the new concept ships to get some of them. I hope one of them is cheaper than my cheapest ship!

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I initially LOVED the DUR. But it kinda fell away as I found more specialized ships. It's a good ship, but it doesn't do the job as well as a Carrack.
I kinda feel the same way. I turned my DUR into a Beerfarer. That'll be my breadwinner methinks. I still have an Andromeda to Caterpillar CCU, as well as a Redeemer to Carrack CCU just awaiting a decision from my little brain. Maybe I use both. Tabernak. Decisions are hard.

I concur. I do so love my pew pewing and boom booming. Sabre LTI in hanger at the moment. Thinking about a Warden or SH. I keep testing them all. Indecisionus maximus.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
It will be an interesting ship, low volume mining should be on high grade material (since small quantities of low grade earns poorly if it earns well then the orion will be so rich) but there are bound to be loads more of them than orions and high grade ore should be rarer.

Lightmare

Commander
Apr 7, 2016
RSI Handle
eNCee-Lightmare
I can't decide which ship I'd go for , but then that is because I don't know what aspect of the game I'm going to enjoy playing the most?

I might opt for a Constellation Phoenix with a packed fridge full of beer and live in luxury flying about the verse.

Reactions: Grimbli
Forgot your password?