I am not a coder, but trying my first ReShade build....

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Here is the forked repo
https://github.com/enlistcitizen/reshade-StarCitizen
It is a build of ReShade that should allow the use of Depth of Field filters for fancy photos and videos.

However, I am not a coder/programmer... and I have been trying to get this working for hours.
I installed Visual Studio 2019.
With Visual Studio's Tool and Package installer I installed:
Python Development
Universal Windows Development
Python 3 64-bit and 32-bit
Windows 10 SDK 10.0.17763.0
And I have all the .net

I cloned the repo to a folder.
I have git on my computer.
I pulled the updates for the submodules with the git commands.
I ran the python script to get the extra files in the includes folder.

I downloaded and installed Vulkan SDK but have no idea how to connect it inside of the Visual Studio project file.

In Visual Studio, I open the Repo project file, I select in the Visual Studio top bar, Release, and 64-bit, then I click Build -> Build Solution.
I then get butt tons of errors of "undeclared identifier" and "identifier not found" and "is not a member of ImGui" etc etc

Is anyone here a programmer that could help teach me how to set this up properly to be able to complete a working build?
Thank you.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
i did a reshade on my FFXI and it was beautiful after that looked completely modernized. i obviously didnt try to do the reshade from scratch i used the presets that others had put on the textures and just played around with it after that. my suggestion is do it on a planet space i think would be much harder to do it. programs i used were "ReShade" it is extrememly complicated but if you mess around with it long enough you can get some serious results.

Reactions: DirectorGunner

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Here is the forked repo
It is a build of ReShade that should allow the use of Depth of Field filters for fancy photos and videos.

However, I am not a coder/programmer... and I have been trying to get this working for hours.
Python Development
And I have all the .net

I downloaded and installed Vulkan SDK but have no idea how to connect it inside of the Visual Studio project file.

In Visual Studio, I open the Repo project file, I select in the Visual Studio top bar, Release, and 64-bit, then I click Build -> Build Solution.
I then get butt tons of errors of "undeclared identifier" and "identifier not found" and "is not a member of ImGui" etc etc

Is anyone here a programmer that could help teach me how to set this up properly to be able to complete a working build?
Thank you.
Im not a programmer and cannot help you with the technical bits. But I did try reshape in SC.
First of all, the original ReShade has a blocker in it that stops it from using the z-buffer if it detects network traffic. This is done to prevent all kinds of cheats and exploits in multiplayer games, including SC.
There are builds out there without the blocker, but they are old.
I tried one of those and the Z-buffer (depth) which you would Need for DoF effects and for anything interesting really, is a mess in SC. Their rendering pipeline in so... fractured? It's really weird. Like it depends on the location of the camera, sometimes it's there in full res, sometimes quarter res, sometimes it doesn't even render.
This was in 3.9 I think? It's also possible that the build I used was buggered as well and that's why it wouldn't capture the z buffer properly, so YMMV.

• Wut

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
First of all, the original ReShade has a blocker in it that stops it from using the z-buffer if it detects network traffic. This is done to prevent all kinds of cheats and exploits in multiplayer games, including SC.
No, I don't think Star Citizen is at risk from ReShade Depth filters.
I looked into that, the cheat you are referring to is only applicable to competitive FPS games for an (ugly) advantage to spot players more quickly.
Here is an example
ReshadeNV.jpg.1e319ed7890c65f10450b876c16926ac.jpg

Source

I don't see player highlighting being very practical or useful in SC at all, as SC is an open sandbox.
Even with Star Marine, if we disregard the fact that no one really plays that module anymore, IIRC there are no Star Marine kills persistent leaderboard and not enough players.
There is a time played ranking IIRC but I have not seen CIG show that for a while. Used to be shared via newsletters. Also no rewards for doing well in Star Marine.

ReShade compared to something like CheatEngine or something more serious is like comparing lollipops to bazookas and nuclear bombs when it comes to the notion of being exploitative in a sandbox game like SC.

Now if CIG says no to DOF filters and occlusion filters, then that is one thing,
but AFAIK they have not and CIG shares photos from community members that were taken with background DOF blur done by ReShade.
All those time-lapse looking backgrounds and things of that nature require depth information for those ReShade filters to work.

So this blanket argument I see on around about why ReShade blocked DOF is like a wrecking ball approach to the specific niche issue.

The reason I am trying to get a working build myself from a public forked repo is a safety concern.
There is a version called ReShade Debbie but the source code is not hosted publicly and I don't trust it one bit if I can't investigate the differences between the original repo and the fork.
At least this way, building it for myself, I know it will be (hopefully) virus and malware and adware free.

Hence, why I was looking for programming help with visual studio.

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Here is the forked repo

Python Development
And I have all the .net

Thank you.

I have not done much with Python Development in Visual Studio. As for C# you would normally download the external libraries as packages using the Package Manager Console (NuGet, either as a console or as a gui from Tools -> NuGet Package Manager) and then you can verify the package is correctly associated with your project by opening up the csproj file for the project.

Here is one of my testbed projects

1611603420209.png

I did a quick google search and found this but not sure its going to be helpful.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
No, I don't think Star Citizen is at risk from ReShade Depth filters.
I looked into that, the cheat you are referring to is only applicable to competitive FPS games for an (ugly) advantage to spot players more quickly.
Here is an example
View attachment 20170
Source

I don't see player highlighting being very practical or useful in SC at all, as SC is an open sandbox.
Even with Star Marine, if we disregard the fact that no one really plays that module anymore, IIRC there are no Star Marine kills persistent leaderboard and not enough players.
There is a time played ranking IIRC but I have not seen CIG show that for a while. Used to be shared via newsletters. Also no rewards for doing well in Star Marine.

ReShade compared to something like CheatEngine or something more serious is like comparing lollipops to bazookas and nuclear bombs when it comes to the notion of being exploitative in a sandbox game like SC.

Now if CIG says no to DOF filters and occlusion filters, then that is one thing,
but AFAIK they have not and CIG shares photos from community members that were taken with background DOF blur done by ReShade.
All those time-lapse looking backgrounds and things of that nature require depth information for those ReShade filters to work.

So this blanket argument I see on around about why ReShade blocked DOF is like a wrecking ball approach to the specific niche issue.

The reason I am trying to get a working build myself from a public forked repo is a safety concern.
There is a version called ReShade Debbie but the source code is not hosted publicly and I don't trust it one bit if I can't investigate the differences between the original repo and the fork.
At least this way, building it for myself, I know it will be (hopefully) virus and malware and adware free.

Hence, why I was looking for programming help with visual studio.
Yeah, I felt the same way when I found out. It's really dumb and annoying, like dropping a nuke just to swat a fly....

Btw, I could think of a million ways to exploit the Z buffer... For instance, you could program a filter in a way that anything "farther away" (value) than X will be highlighted bright red, so you can spot enemies hiding in ARMA of War Thunder or what have you. And that's probably something really trivial to do. Other things like Z buffer may not render particle smoke, so you may be able to see through smoke screens with it... Nothing that I think would matter in SC, but it could be a problem in competitive PVP games, and ReShade wants to stay as safe as possible. So I do understand why they do it, but I don't necessarily agree with it.

I think that the Debbie version is the one I got as well. Had nothing stolen off my PC... yet lul
I could get depth working for moments at best, but the default screenshot that SC makes didn't have the effect saved over it, so I got like a couple of shots saved properly via reshade before I got fed up with it for good. Attached below is the only one I used with some DoF filter. The rest were the fake raytrace-GI experimantal, and uninpressive.

StarCitizen 2020-10-31 03-45-19.jpg

Also, as I mentioned, intercepting the Z buffer is rough at best. It flickers in and out of existence as you move around or rotate the camera.
There is built-in DoF in SC, isn't there?? I seem to recall seeing buttons mentioned for the advanced camera mode to adjsut it?
Anyways, good luck with your build!

Attachments

Last edited:

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Thanks, guys. And also the DOF controls in SC's camera controls absolutely sucks from a creative standpoint.
Also, examples of why ReShade is an essential creative tool. These shots are missing directional DOF filtering, I am doing test video captures like this.
This kind of effect can not be as easily accomplished in After Effects natively. This is not a typical B&W filter effect or color grading.
StarCitizen 2021-01-24 20-24-39_1.png

StarCitizen 2021-01-24 20-31-00.png

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Thanks, guys. And also the DOF controls in SC's camera controls absolutely sucks from a creative standpoint.
Also, examples of why ReShade is an essential creative tool. These shots are missing directional DOF filtering, I am doing test video captures like this.
This kind of effect can not be as easily accomplished in After Effects natively. This is not a typical B&W filter effect or color grading.
View attachment 20176
View attachment 20175
Neat luma key kinda filtery thingy there! Lovely effect! I really like how it retains detail.
Tried to pull something similar in Nuke to see if I could help you get the same effect in post, real fast on some ofmy screenshots, but my god, they are jpeg compressed to hell and back thrice...
Anyways, it would be missing the DoF so not much point to it really. It would be possible to fake the DoF but that's weeks of work lol...

Forgot your password?