I'd like help setting up a Twitch channel... Help?

CMDR_J_SHEPHERD

Space Marshal
Dec 4, 2015
RSI Handle
CMDR_J_SHEPHERD
I'm a noob to Twitch but I feel like I've managed to learn a fair amount of the "basics" but getting into the "intermediate" stuff, e.g. setting up audio (differentiating between Discord & Gameplay audio), figuring out how to set up a chroma key "set" for my webcam (I don't want to broadcast my home office), etc. I would also like to learn how to set up overlays (so I at least have the option) too.

I have ordered an Audio Technica - 2035 XLR mic and a Focusrite 2i2 for my audio and I'm excited to get started.

SupremeTokyo, I have heard that you are an invaluable resource and very knowledgeable with regard to the technical side of things.

If any of you could lend me a hand and give me some pointers, I would REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

TEST SQUADRON - BEST SQUADRON!!

Supremetokyo

Captain
May 30, 2015
RSI Handle
Supremetokyo
I'm a noob to Twitch but I feel like I've managed to learn a fair amount of the "basics" but getting into the "intermediate" stuff, e.g. setting up audio (differentiating between Discord & Gameplay audio), figuring out how to set up a chroma key "set" for my webcam (I don't want to broadcast my home office), etc. I would also like to learn how to set up overlays (so I at least have the option) too.

I have ordered an Audio Technica - 2035 XLR mic and a Focusrite 2i2 for my audio and I'm excited to get started.

SupremeTokyo, I have heard that you are an invaluable resource and very knowledgeable with regard to the technical side of things.

If any of you could lend me a hand and give me some pointers, I would REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

I'll be posting a video. How to be a test streamer sometime tm I will post it here.

Ocxyde

Lieutenant
Nov 13, 2015
RSI Handle
Ocxyde999
Hello,
In my case I buy 3 month license for Xsplit, and add 10$ more for TridDef that use chroma and picture as background.
It's simply as WYSIWYG

Last edited:

Zerki

Admiral
Nov 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Zerki
I am in the same boat. I am setting up my channel now as well. Ordered my mic , but kind of waiting on green screen and a decent cam till I know I am going to stick with it.

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
Xsplit is easier to set up the first time around but OBS will be best off long term. I use Xsplit as well as does captain Richard but that is a cost that can be avoided just going obs.

As a streamer be prepared to spend, not make, money.

CMDR_J_SHEPHERD

Space Marshal
Dec 4, 2015
RSI Handle
CMDR_J_SHEPHERD
I want to thank all of you for taking the time to consider and reply.

I have an older Microsoft 5000 HD webcam that is capable of recording in 720p that I was going to use for the time being, especially after finding out that it is useful to downscale the resolution of the selfie cam anyway.

SupremeTokyo, I'll keep my eyes open for your video.

Ocxyde, the TriDef feature in X-Split sounds useful. I am considering your recommendation vs all the input that I've received STRONGLY pointing me to OBS because although it can be difficult to learn to use, I've been told it's a very stable, capable broadcasting platform by numerous people. It doesn't hurt that it's free either. ;)

RussianJ, Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping that the equipment I already have will suffice for the time being. Honestly, I have a "decent" USB mic built into my Logitech G930, however, after speaking with an audiophile friend of mine he convinced me that an XLR condenser mic will sound A LOT better. I compared what he said to all of the spec sheets/panels that a lot of streamers publish and found that the sound quality I'm looking for will indeed come from an XLR condenser mic. I picked up the Audio Technica AT-2035 and a Focusrite Solo to supply phantom power and provide the mixer in one piece of kit. In your opinion is this a quality setup?

1stGhostLive, Thanks for the reply. I'll look for you on Discord unless you prefer another method of contact. If that's the case just let me know. I'm on Discord as well under my handle CMDR_J_SHEPHERD.

Zerki, Thanks for the reply. If I can be of any assistance, sound checks, video quality feedback, etc. while you're setting up please let me know. I'd be glad to help out.

I want to impress upon AL of you that I would like to become a welcome member of the Test Squadron Stream Team at some point and NOT a competitor to any of you or your channels.

Now if I only had PTU access....... :( If anyone has ANY contacts at CIG please let me know. I think I can "pitch" my case to them to be granted access but I don't know anyone there even in the slightest. Thanks again for your time, consideration and offers to help. Please reach me on Discord or email me at [email protected].

TEST SQUADRON - BEST SQUADRON!! (I just love the shirt)
TEST T-SHIRT.png

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
All I can say is you have some awesome equipment listed there. There is no need for an amazing webcam off the bat as most of us compress it to the corner anyways.

I forgot to mention, what is your internet upload speeds? Upload is a gigantic factor streaming.

Also make sure you have a multi monitor setup. If not, it makes interaction and channel growth hard.

Croswell

Space Marshal
Mar 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Croswell
Been kicking around the idea of starting this as well, just haven't had the time. Be a fun Winter project for me.

Question - Can I hang some green fabric behind me? I game in the basement with some shelving and stuff behind me, so rigging up a cloth I can drop behind me would probably be ideal.

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim

Thanks in advance!

So.
You would like a piece of the ever shrinking pie?

It is a big competition for those subs.
GL. :)

Farasalt

Vice Admiral
Mar 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Farasalt
Been kicking around the idea of starting this as well, just haven't had the time. Be a fun Winter project for me.

Question - Can I hang some green fabric behind me? I game in the basement with some shelving and stuff behind me, so rigging up a cloth I can drop behind me would probably be ideal.
Absolutely - to give you an idea of my streaming setup:

I'm actually getting some new lightboxes to better illuminate my backdrop and have also resolved the "folds" in the fabric, but the basic setup has changed very little since this photo.

Reactions: Croswell

Vimes

Captain
Dec 6, 2015
RSI Handle
VIIMES
I would love to stream some Star Citizen, but my CPU cant seem to handle it, i have an I5-3570K clocked to 4.5 Ghz but i get warnings in OBS that i have too heavy CPU load and the stream starts to stutter frequently.

- Sad Panda.

Edit : I can stream ARMA III on Ultra settings without an problem, but i guess SC is too badly optimized at the moment?

Forgot your password?