Idris-P to Idris-K?

Garonman

Captain
Oct 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Garonman5
So.. someone reach through the monitor and slap some sense into a confused guy. I have the Idris-P and I'm looking at maybe "upgrading" it to an Idris-K.

Is it even an upgrade or more a change of style to how it's used? something about losing manned turrets and gaining a.i turrets but I think they are missile turrets? Will the size 10 beam weapon be worth upgrading?
I like the idea of getting some TEST members in the ship and having them man the weapons but the upgrade may take some spots away from people for that. you guys are more experienced with the game than I am what do you think?

side question.. How many of us have an Idris? option to melt if we have an abundance.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I just wanted the beam weapon so I did the upgrade years ago.

How many members in TEST have an Idris?

I would say in the hundreds, we have more ships than we know what to do with, but consider that not everybody is going to be online all the time.

It is not a ship you need to keep for the org, we have that covered, don't feel obliged to hold onto it if you want to get other stuff.

Garonman

Captain
Oct 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Garonman5
I just wanted the beam weapon so I did the upgrade years ago.

How many members in TEST have an Idris?

I would say in the hundreds, we have more ships than we know what to do with, but consider that not everybody is going to be online all the time.

It is not a ship you need to keep for the org, we have that covered, don't feel obliged to hold onto it if you want to get other stuff.
Thank you Boss. I certainly want to be able to join in with group activities and massive space battles will be fantastic. I also have a core group of gamers locally to me that I am trying to get away from other games and into SC but I think they are waiting to see if the game starts to really become a thing and not just a big promise. I'm fairly confident I can fill the min requirements at least on a good day with my rl friends and have it as a offering to the squad for events, of which I should be playing regularly to join in on.

There's plenty of time left yet and I have my Polaris to consider too.... you only live once right? Lets do this bish!

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
So.. someone reach through the monitor and slap some sense into a confused guy. I have the Idris-P and I'm looking at maybe "upgrading" it to an Idris-K.

Is it even an upgrade or more a change of style to how it's used? something about losing manned turrets and gaining a.i turrets but I think they are missile turrets? Will the size 10 beam weapon be worth upgrading?
I like the idea of getting some TEST members in the ship and having them man the weapons but the upgrade may take some spots away from people for that. you guys are more experienced with the game than I am what do you think?

side question.. How many of us have an Idris? option to melt if we have an abundance.
To reply to the K-kit question itself. It's a kit so you aren't obliged to use the included stuff. See it as additional weapons available to your wishing to fit your idris. It does not automatically replace the P loadout.
Like you can just use the beam but not the ai turrets. Not use the beam but use the missile turrets and so on.

Remember the P has no front mounted S10 gun by default. Just an empty slot. The K kit fills that slot with the beam.
But you can also use a K-kit on an Idris-M, and replace the railgun ie.

It's really a kit of weapons ;)

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
To reply to the K-kit question itself. It's a kit so you aren't obliged to use the included stuff. See it as additional weapons available to your wishing to fit your idris. It does not automatically replace the P loadout.
Like you can just use the beam but not the ai turrets. Not use the beam but use the missile turrets and so on.

Remember the P has no front mounted S10 gun by default. Just an empty slot. The K kit fills that slot with the beam.

All the more reason for me to hope to someday have an Idris of my own to help support my friends when that is needed. Cheers!

• o7
Reactions: Garonman

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
CIG has said you’ll be able to take your P to the manufacturer shipyards and have it modified in part or whole into an M. Also you can add the K laser to either.

The rail gun was originally slated to do 40k damage 18x/minute. The K laser does less but is faster. The Vanduul S10 plasma weapon does less but heats the target to overheat status.

In general, CIG plans the M rail gun to be the best choice since it does huge internal and component damage. Though it’s 40k per hit, this doesn’t include component destruction. It can for instance take out a cap class reactor in a single shot, rendering the entire ship helpless. At least that is what we were told pre invention of batteries. Now, who knows?

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
@Shadow Reaper is right. Here is the source about the conversion from P to M in-game.

It also gives more info about the K-kit.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
BTW if you're really after a capital ship, depending on how many dedicated friends you have, unless you really want to run small scale flight ops, you're probably better off with a Polaris, given what we know so far. Size 10 torps are monsters, and you get to fire 4 at a time.
Especially since you don't need to engage in the F5 wars. Or, if you really want to run flight ops, then a Kraken seems to be a better choice.

Having said that, though, what looks and feels best to you is the way to go.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I personally prefer the Enemy Below submarine gameplay the torp boats are meant to emulate (hint “Polaris”), but I do think the Idris is going to offer more choices over the long haul, and be able to take on more powerful opponents. I see huge value in starting with the smallest group you can and growing organically from there.

Forming a committed crew that loves their ship and shows up regularly is going to yield the most powerful play in game. Conversely, owners of big military ships who think they’ll magically be manned are going to be disappointed.

There isn’t really much reason to buy a Polaris or Idris when there will be so many flying solo, waiting for cooperative players to board and take them.

My big question remains, will the Javelin have a hanger module? I haven’t seen anything that describes the planned Javelin modules. Astro Historian has a great vid that mentions the six roles they play, but it doesn’t say what makes the Command and Control module any better at C&C than an Idris, and it’s hard to imagine unless there develops some kind of Uber-capital class of component like Radar.

Is the Javelin in SQ42? When CIG says SQ42 is feature complete, what does that mean for the Jav?

Last edited:

Garonman

Captain
Oct 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Garonman5

Fantastic. Ok yea I understand a little more about it now o7

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Garonman

Captain
Oct 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Garonman5
CIG has said you’ll be able to take your P to the manufacturer shipyards and have it modified in part or whole into an M. Also you can add the K laser to either.

The rail gun was originally slated to do 40k damage 18x/minute. The K laser does less but is faster. The Vanduul S10 plasma weapon does less but heats the target to overheat status.

In general, CIG plans the M rail gun to be the best choice since it does huge internal and component damage. Though it’s 40k per hit, this doesn’t include component destruction. It can for instance take out a cap class reactor in a single shot, rendering the entire ship helpless. At least that is what we were told pre invention of batteries. Now, who knows?
I think I will be getting the kit and giving it a real test to see what the best loadout is. it might be a little expensive test to run but its all about learning.

Garonman

Captain
Oct 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Garonman5
@Shadow Reaper is right. Here is the source about the conversion from P to M in-game.

It also gives more info about the K-kit.

Ah thank you, I'll give it a look through :o7:

• o7

Garonman

Captain
Oct 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Garonman5
BTW if you're really after a capital ship, depending on how many dedicated friends you have, unless you really want to run small scale flight ops, you're probably better off with a Polaris, given what we know so far. Size 10 torps are monsters, and you get to fire 4 at a time.
Especially since you don't need to engage in the F5 wars. Or, if you really want to run flight ops, then a Kraken seems to be a better choice.

Having said that, though, what looks and feels best to you is the way to go.
I have a Polaris too. I'm looking at getting a Kraken on buyback at last so I can give it some thought. I like the idea of having all 3 but I'm also given the side eye to a couple others... brb just burying the wallet in concrete!!

• o7

Garonman

Captain
Oct 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Garonman5
I personally prefer the Enemy Below submarine gameplay the torp boats are meant to emulate (hint “Polaris”), but I do think the Idris is going to offer more choices over the long haul, and be able to take on more powerful opponents. I see huge value in starting with the smallest group you can and growing organically from there.
Yea I definitely like the idea of stalking around and hit and run strikes with the Space Sub.

My big question remains, will the Javelin have a hanger module? I haven’t seen anything that describes the planned Javelin modules. Astro Historian has a great vid that mentions the six roles they play, but it doesn’t say what makes the Command and Control module any better at C&C than an Idris, and it’s hard to imagine unless there develops some kind of Uber-capital class of component like Radar.
You raise a good point. I haven't looked into the Jav all that much, as I thought it was a little out of reach.. but maybe not so anymore :like:
Is the Javelin in SQ42? When CIG says SQ42 is feature complete, what does that mean for the Jav?
I believe it is launching in SQ42 and I would not be surprised if the Jav has been complete for a little while now and held back.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I have a Polaris too. I'm looking at getting a Kraken on buyback at last so I can give it some thought. I like the idea of having all 3 but I'm also given the side eye to a couple others... brb just burying the wallet in concrete!!
That reminds me of the scene from John Wick where he breaks up the concrete floor to retrieve his old gear to get his justice. LoL

• o7
Reactions: Garonman
Forgot your password?