Just watched the first episode of Firefly and...

Dygon

Space Marshal
Feb 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Dygon
Not the biggest fan honestly. I was raving about "the expanse" freaking great show! People were telling me I would most likely enjoy Firefly as well. I gotta say, I'm very disappointed.

The acting is poor, bordering on B, the sets, the costumes are all quite poorly done, not only that, but the setting itsself makes no sense to me.
They have mastered space travel, so many years in the future, but for some reason, they're wearing western cowboy clothing? Riding around horses on planet?

Does a larger storyline develope in the next episodes, cause the the moment it looks like there isn't really an aim to the series?

Am I missing something, does it get better the next episodes? Why is everybody so positive about this series?

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I'll admit the first episode isn't the best, but it gets more engrossing later. But you have to realize the show is mostly campy. It's by Joss Whedon, so it has the same "Buffy" vibe to it.

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
Serenity is the actual pilot, the Train Job was chosen bij the network as a pilot because more explosions :)

Reactions: AstroSam

The Razgriz

Vice Admiral
Jul 24, 2016
RSI Handle
The-Razgriz
It does get better... at least in my opinion it does. The "space western" theme may be different, but it works better than you might think. And they did a pretty good job for a show that got sacked by Fox after only one season.

Bigcracker

Space Marshal
Feb 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Bigcracker8789
Not the biggest fan honestly. I was raving about "the expanse" freaking great show! People were telling me I would most likely enjoy Firefly as well. I gotta say, I'm very disappointed.

The acting is poor, bordering on B, the sets, the costumes are all quite poorly done, not only that, but the setting itsself makes no sense to me.
They have mastered space travel, so many years in the future, but for some reason, they're wearing western cowboy clothing? Riding around horses on planet?

Does a larger storyline develope in the next episodes, cause the the moment it looks like there isn't really an aim to the series?

Am I missing something, does it get better the next episodes? Why is everybody so positive about this series?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0-wj-9LkME

Floating Cloud

Space Marshal
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Floating_Cloud
I too was disappointed the first time that I watched Firefly. I turned the TV on mid episode and saw a couple of the crew riding on a horse drawn wagon, with what looked like 1800's era weapons, and after a few minutes switched off. Luckily I gave it another chance later and boy oh boy am I glad that I did.

Firefly is now one of my favourite sci-fi series of all time. Every member of the crew turns out a nuanced performance, along with so many memorable performances by extras in various episodes ('Mrs. Reynolds' being my favourite - Christina Hendricks stealing the show). At the end of the day you may not like it, but please at least give a few episodes a try.

Stee Jans

Grand Admiral
Sep 1, 2015
RSI Handle
SteeJans
Firefly is more to us fans than just the acting and sets. It represents what most of us sci fi fans truly love and a lot of other shows fail to deliver. Freedom. Go where you want, take the jobs that you can (legal or not), struggle against authority. Serenity is more than a ship, it's a home, and the characters are more than a crew, they're family. The show has the perfect balance of action, suspense and drama and the character development was very well done.

Dygon

Space Marshal
Feb 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Dygon
Ok, at the third episode now, and yes, it is becoming more interesting. Still shoddy acting, and I'm partial to the outfits, but I'm starting to dig the feel. I could see myself reenacting this in Star Citzen :D only...more polished :p

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
I *hate* Firefly because I really *loved* it, when it suddenly ends somewhere in the nowhere. So sad...all the unanswered questions :sob:
But finally you have to watch the series to fully understand the movie :)

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
You are wrong and you should feel wrong! ::goes and cries in corner::

Just give it another chance, you might fall in love with the characters as i did after a few episodes. I absolutely love that it holds the old cowboy western theme, even if its in space and in the future.

matteas

Space Marshal
Nov 23, 2016
RSI Handle
matteas
My main draw into space games is firefly after darkcryo got a C&D order from fox on the community firefly game I started to look for other space games and found Star Citizen was hooked after that.

Forgot your password?