Let's talk C1

RoosterRage

Captain
Donor
Jul 16, 2022
RSI Handle
RoosterRage
Oh, right. I was referring to weapons, range, shields, that sort of thing. S3 just cannot compare to S4 in these categories, which is as it should be, they are after all, a larger ship.
CIG has already posted about this after CitizenCon with the sale of the Zeus, they stated that all ships are going to be getting component and balance passes to make them more survivable for the upcoming engineering gameplay so any ship sold before the Zeus will be getting some component changes made with maybe the exception of small starter ships and fighters,
also be aware the Cutlass and the Freelancer are only $110 compared to a $125 price tag on the Spirit and spending more will get you more.....unless you fly Origin.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
and spending more will get you more.....unless you fly Origin.
In which case you will be sitting there happy as larry drinking champagne wondering why people spend so much money on inferior ships with no toilets? :D

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
CIG has already posted about this after CitizenCon with the sale of the Zeus, they stated that all ships are going to be getting component and balance passes to make them more survivable for the upcoming engineering gameplay so any ship sold before the Zeus will be getting some component changes made with maybe the exception of small starter ships and fighters,
also be aware the Cutlass and the Freelancer are only $110 compared to a $125 price tag on the Spirit and spending more will get you more.....unless you fly Origin.
One of the things that has me rather anxious for the Zeus to come out is that it has more than one access/exit point.
Something I wish they would put on the Crusader brand of ships as well. Having to travel the entire length of the ship just to enter and exit seems kinda lame to me, especially with the longer ships. Gives us a hatch/lift just behind the cockpit, it would not be that big of a change to the ship.

NomadicHavoc

Commander
Nov 19, 2023
RSI Handle
NomadicHavoc
One of the things that has me rather anxious for the Zeus to come out is that it has more than one access/exit point.
Something I wish they would put on the Crusader brand of ships as well. Having to travel the entire length of the ship just to enter and exit seems kinda lame to me, especially with the longer ships. Gives us a hatch/lift just behind the cockpit, it would not be that big of a change to the ship.
The more entry/exit points to a ship, the more we have to contend with when being boarded. That being said, I also like having more ingress/egress points...especially docking ports. Just a lot of fun potential...

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
Something I wish they would put on the Crusader brand of ships as well. Having to travel the entire length of the ship just to enter and exit seems kinda lame to me, especially with the longer ships.
And there's the reason why I got rid of my MSR.
Because my feet where killing me and there where way too many doors to stand in front of waiting. And waiting. And waiting...

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
The more entry/exit points to a ship, the more we have to contend with when being boarded. That being said, I also like having more ingress/egress points...especially docking ports. Just a lot of fun potential...
As a certified MOUT instructor (years ago) you don't use the doors to breach. That is asking to be killed. It even happens in Science Fiction. Remember the first released Star Wars movie? All those bodies stacked up at the airlock.

Breaching charges and boarding torpedoes are the way to go, though I doubt Star Citizen will have boarding torpedoes.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
As a certified MOUT instructor (years ago) you don't use the doors to breach. That is asking to be killed. It even happens in Science Fiction. Remember the first released Star Wars movie? All those bodies stacked up at the airlock.

Breaching charges and boarding torpedoes are the way to go, though I doubt Star Citizen will have boarding torpedoes.
Isn't something like the boarding torpedo how the Vanduul supposedly breach ships?

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Isn't something like the boarding torpedo how the Vanduul supposedly breach ships?
I don't know. It is definitely a longstanding trope though.
  • It is how 40K Space Marines do it when the teleportariums aren't practical.
  • It is how Droids board in SWTOR..
  • It was used early in The Expanse.
  • I believe they were used in Babylon 5.
  • It was how the Magog boarded ships in Andromeda.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I don't know. It is definitely a longstanding trope though.
  • It is how 40K Space Marines do it when the teleportariums aren't practical.
  • It is how Droids board in SWTOR..
  • It was used early in The Expanse.
  • I believe they were used in Babylon 5.
  • It was how the Magog boarded ships in Andromeda.
I could've sworn that the lore devs had called them the Vanduul Nails or something to that effect. I've obviously slept a few times since then as that was years ago & much has changed.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I could've sworn that the lore devs had called them the Vanduul Nails or something to that effect. I've obviously slept a few times since then as that was years ago & much has changed.
It could be. Just remember "Doors and Corners, you go into a room to fast and the room eats you." - Miller, The Expanse.

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
I could've sworn that the lore devs had called them the Vanduul Nails or something to that effect.
Well, the Vanduul Void Bombers can carry 2 Cleaver Boarding Torpedos/Snubs each. No info of how many Vanduul fit into these things but after rewatching the "I held the line" video I'd guess 3 Vanduul with gear might be possible.
After all, Vanduul might be aggressive, cruel and heartless. But I doubt they are stupid enough to board a ship solo.
Except for a C1 maybe (to act like I still remember what the OP was about).
My grandma could do that with her handbag and crutch once she managed to get inside.
But that's the problem, right?
Boarding relatively nimble ships while they are still moving about is tough.
Hitting a disabled or slow target is easy.
Especially if you can tell where the habitable areas are. You wouldn't want to board the fuel tank or reactor of you prize, aye matey?
And sticking that cleaver to the wings portion of a C2 won't get you verry far either.
So as nice as these Cleasvers sound for boarding.
You still gotta do your homework (floorplans and most likely defensive positions and such).
And don't get carried away.
Literally! :o7:

Last edited:

NomadicHavoc

Commander
Nov 19, 2023
RSI Handle
NomadicHavoc

Nice, I had to look up what a MOUT instructor was. Very interesting...and may I say thank you for your service. I'd proudly be your cannon fodder breaching a door!

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Nice, I had to look up what a MOUT instructor was. Very interesting...and may I say thank you for your service. I'd proudly be your cannon fodder breaching a door!
It was my pleasure.

Don't breach a door, make a door. :) If you must breach a door, use a tamped charge and send the door, in fragments, in first. then follow the door with a couple of cooked off grenades.

Also docking anything bigger than a shuttle is likely a bad idea. What if a member of the crew is suicidal and self destructs?

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
It was my pleasure.

Don't breach a door, make a door. :) If you must breach a door, use a tamped charge and send the door, in fragments, in first. then follow the door with a couple of cooked off grenades.

Also docking anything bigger than a shuttle is likely a bad idea. What if a member of the crew is suicidal and self destructs?
I might sound stupid, but I've always thought that the way I'd breach a location if absolutely required to resolve a dangerous situation, would be to use explosives to effectively vaporize the main door, while using a more subtle set of shaped charges to open a hole in a wall away from that main door a split sec after the initial blast, so they pay attention to the main door for us to take them by surprise from a different direction. People booby trap doors & windows far more than they think about securing or booby trapping walls.

Reactions: Zookajoe

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I might sound stupid, but I've always thought that the way I'd breach a location if absolutely required to resolve a dangerous situation, would be to use explosives to effectively vaporize the main door, while using a more subtle set of shaped charges to open a hole in a wall away from that main door a split sec after the initial blast, so they pay attention to the main door for us to take them by surprise from a different direction. People booby trap doors & windows far more than they think about securing or booby trapping walls.
If possible go in through the roof, and work your way down. That way you aren't cornering a desperate enemy. Most structures you can go through the roof with nothing more destructive than an Entrenching tool. (That is a folding sharpened shovel, so you don't have to look it up.)

Also going up stairs is even worse than doors.

NomadicHavoc

Commander
Nov 19, 2023
RSI Handle
NomadicHavoc
If possible go in through the roof, and work your way down. That way you aren't cornering a desperate enemy. Most structures you can go through the roof with nothing more destructive than an Entrenching tool. (That is a folding sharpened shovel, so you don't have to look it up.)

Also going up stairs is even worse than doors.
Will the scissors on my multitool work for rooftop breaching?

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
As I'm an extra fluffy Ewok, I don't go on roofs because gravity will attempt to use me to create sudden sunlight openings. LoL, oops!

Reactions: Zookajoe

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Conclusion: I may just use the Cutty to upgrade to something else, or melt down.
If you’re enjoying the Cutty why not replace the Sabre and try several light fighters? The Sabre was a great choice when it had three shields, but it slides through turns very heavily compared to more nimble ships—like an F15 compared to an F16. The later is more fun to fly and might instigate some obsession. The Talon, Shriek, Gladius, Arrow, Fury and others all share that high maneuverability that could turn you into an addict and later a great pilot. IIRC, the Fury will fit in your Cutty. Just keep in mind the Fury has no Q Drive.

A buddy of mine and ex business partner was a Brigadier General at USAF and prior to this, a super accomplished test pilot and trainer of test pilots. When he left he was able to arrange a “check out” flight—got to fly one last time. He’s rated in every kind of bird USAF owns, and his choice for his last flight was the F16. Said it was the most fun to fly.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?