life-support generator now able to remove the atmosphere from a room

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

Not sure about the rest of you but I am rather fond of having an atmosphere in a room.

I predict the biggest source of tears is going to be the removal of fuel scoops from so many ships in 3.17.

Last month, the Vehicle Features team worked on refueling, including integrating the docking systems and rebalancing vehicle fuel efficiency and scooping.

I do like this change.
They also rebalanced and retuned distortion so that it’s more about negatively affecting a ship rather than outright disabling it.

As much as the long wait for this game to get to a beta state I have to say seeing pictures like this still excite me.

Snubs lunatic dream

Last edited:

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Yeah but the idea is to take the C out of CO2 and leave the oxygen. They keep trying to give us a pure oxygen atmosphere. Don't light a match.
Yea needs mostly nitrogen for humans as the medium for the exchange. Actually, I've heard pure 02 is extremely caustic for human lungs. That both scuba divers and pilots have been severely injured if not killed by too rich O2 mixtures in their tanks. I don't know, hoo-mans are such fragile creatures. This is why we drink. Drunkness is a boon buff.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Yea needs mostly nitrogen for humans as the medium for the exchange. Actually, I've heard pure 02 is extremely caustic for human lungs. That both scuba divers and pilots have been severely injured if not killed by too rich O2 mixtures in their tanks. I don't know, hoo-mans are such fragile creatures. This is why we drink. Drunkness is a boon buff.
Be careful of the nitrogen ratio though otherwise that nitros oxide will have us laughing CIG development either into the star or all the way to the bank.

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
Actually, I've heard pure 02 is extremely caustic for human lungs. That both scuba divers and pilots have been severely injured if not killed by too rich O2 mixtures in their tanks.
Cheers @DirectorGunner, you taught me something! 🍻

I've done a bit of recreational scuba diving, and knew about central nervous system (CNS) oxygen toxicity, which can happen if you breathe a gas with a partial pressure of oxygen (ppo2) of more than 1.4 bar. So that could be 100% oxygen at 1.4 bar absolute, or 50% oxygen at 2.8 bar absolute etc.

I was all ready to write that the scuba diver part of what you said is right, but I can't think how a pilot could experience that - they're usually breathing in a lower atmospheric pressure environment, so even on 100% oxygen (a fire risk in a plane or spacecraft) they would be breathing a ppo2 of less than 1.0 bar absolute.

But a quick Google turned up this which talks about pulmonary (i.e. 'to do with the lungs') oxygen toxicity, which I had not heard of, and can start after about 3 hours at 0.5 bar ppo2. It's not much of a risk in scuba diving since recreational scuba dives are very rarely that long. But, yep, it's a thing, and pilots breathing enriched air (higher o2 content) for long periods, or special forces or other technical divers using closed-circuit rebreathers which can deliver high percentage o2 gas at shallow depths for long periods could easily experience that. There's two distinct classes of o2 toxicity.

Every day's a school day. Cheers! 😀

Last edited:

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
A pure oxygen environment can be used in spacecraft. In a pure oxygen environment, you don't need to have one atmosphere of pressure, because with a pure oxygen environment, you get enough oxygen into your blood even at 5 psi or about 1/3 of an atmosphere (about 34 kPa) However, there are HUGE risks when you do so. You only have to look at the Apollo 1 tragedy to see how bad a pure oxygen environment mess things up.

Humans are much better off with a nitrogen/oxygen mix...unless you need to be in a very high pressure environment (such as deep sea diving). Note, except where noted, I am not talking about no-decompression diving. Note, every 33 ft or so, or 10m down you go, you add one atmosphere of pressure. So on the surface, you have 1 atmosphere of pressure. At 10m down, you have 2, etc.
Not useful for space, but for diving
Air - not used below 130 ft or 40m (about 5 atmospheres..1 atm is about 14.7 psi or 101kPa) feet as nitrogen narcosis comes into play. Also, VERY little bottom time at 100 feet (30m) for a no-decompression dive.
Trimix - can be used to about 200 feet (60m). Mix of Oxygen, Nitrogen, and Helium. The lower amount of Nitrogen allows divers to go deeper before encountering nitrogen narcosis. Mostly used for commercial diving, but you can be certified in it as a technical diver and use it if your boat/resort/shop has it available.
Heliox - can be used to just under 1000 ft (300m) . Below that, and guess what, even helium can be narcotic causing you to lose self awareness.
Hydrox - Mostly used at depths between 1000 and 1750 ft (about 530m) down or 31-53 atmospheres of pressure, but one person has done a simulated dive to 2300 feet or 700 m (71 atmospheres) using a hyperbaric chamber using Hydrox.

Note, there is another mix called nitrox, but that is pretty much used for shallow diving to extend your bottom time. basically, reduced the amount of nitrogen in the mix so less nitrogen dissolves in your blood.

Forgot your password?