Long term persistence

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Well I logged in for the first time in about 18 months.
I'm not seeing much in terms of progress.

What is persistent:
  • Trash you leave lying around.
  • Bugs.
  • Clouds blocking your view so you can't find the starport.
Whats not persistent:
  • My weapon group choices.
  • My MFD choices.
  • Light switch choices.
  • Your stuff when 30K strikes or when you wind up on a different server.
And the progress tracker still doesn't track progress in a meaningful way.

Color me unimpressed.

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
Well if you think that's irritating then imagine riding along in your (t)rusty Taurus, cargo hold full of totaly legally aquired loo... err.. merchandise.
In comes the 30k, out you go.
So you log back in and find yourself on New Babbage and your Taurus is sitting in the hangar.
So you think "Phew, lucky day" and hopp over to TDD to cash in. But the cargo hold is empty.
So youn think "Darn, not my lucky day" and head back to the hangar. Same old, yince you're already used to that kind of loss and an Alpha will be an Alpha, right?
Then you spawn your ship and lo and behold, the cargo hold is full of them boxes.
Okay, you heard about that, spawn and despawn until the server gets the notice.
So back into the train and a little sprint to the TDD terminal.
And this time about 50% of your cargo shows up. So obviously you sell what you can to minimalize the losses. But it does make's you curious.
So back to the hangar and blimey!, half of the boxes still decorate the interiour. Only they are completely, utterly useless.
But they can still be used to build a mysterious pyramid on the planetary surface of your choice.
One that's gonna last for all eternity it seems... :-)

On the Pro side, bunker missions seem to be a whole lot less buggy. Only had one wall-crawler in the last couple of weeks.
Weirdly enough those bunker guys sure like to camp in their elevators. Makes grenades rather usefull though.

Well, ships showing signs of amnesia every darn time you step outside is a joke. And an old one at that. Do they store prefrences in a cache that's getting deleted if you're 10 feet away from your ship?
Can't really bend my mind around that one, it's simply stupid.

But do not complain about the clouds. Clouds are awesome! And blocking the view is what clouds are all about!
Apart from thunder, storm and lightning that is... :-)

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Well if you think that's irritating then imagine riding along in your (t)rusty Taurus, cargo hold full of totaly legally aquired loo... err.. merchandise.
In comes the 30k, out you go.
So you log back in and find yourself on New Babbage and your Taurus is sitting in the hangar.
So you think "Phew, lucky day" and hopp over to TDD to cash in. But the cargo hold is empty.
So youn think "Darn, not my lucky day" and head back to the hangar. Same old, yince you're already used to that kind of loss and an Alpha will be an Alpha, right?
Then you spawn your ship and lo and behold, the cargo hold is full of them boxes.
Okay, you heard about that, spawn and despawn until the server gets the notice.
So back into the train and a little sprint to the TDD terminal.
And this time about 50% of your cargo shows up. So obviously you sell what you can to minimalize the losses. But it does make's you curious.
So back to the hangar and blimey!, half of the boxes still decorate the interiour. Only they are completely, utterly useless.
But they can still be used to build a mysterious pyramid on the planetary surface of your choice.
One that's gonna last for all eternity it seems... :-)

On the Pro side, bunker missions seem to be a whole lot less buggy. Only had one wall-crawler in the last couple of weeks.
Weirdly enough those bunker guys sure like to camp in their elevators. Makes grenades rather usefull though.

Well, ships showing signs of amnesia every darn time you step outside is a joke. And an old one at that. Do they store prefrences in a cache that's getting deleted if you're 10 feet away from your ship?
Can't really bend my mind around that one, it's simply stupid.

But do not complain about the clouds. Clouds are awesome! And blocking the view is what clouds are all about!
Apart from thunder, storm and lightning that is... :-)
Clouds, I wouldn't mind if I had an ILS. (For those that need to google ILS is Instrument Landing System, for cloudy days where you are flying under Instrument Flight Rules.) The starports, still, don't even have a beacon. The horizon indicator and altimeter lack contrast with the background, so you can't see them, and I still haven't figured out what zero means on the altimeter.

The ships have amnesia when you get out of the pilot seat, or when you power down.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
Funny, isn't it?
It's 2953 but our flight instrument systems are only a little better then what Charles Lindbergh had at his disposal.
Small wonder we got no thermal or nightvision either.
Oh well, repeat with me the Alpha Mantra.
Alpha, alpha, alpha... ;-P

Reactions: Bambooza

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Funny, isn't it?
It's 2953 but our flight instrument systems are only a little better then what Charles Lindbergh had at his disposal.
Small wonder we got no thermal or nightvision either.
Oh well, repeat with me the Alpha Mantra.
Alpha, alpha, alpha... ;-P
In Lindbergh's time the Airports had beacons, and radios.
Aircraft had a mechanical horizon you could see under all circumstances, a functional altimeter and proper charts.

An alpha is supposed to improve and move forward to release not remain static.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
It does make you wonder what they are working on.

But honestly the persistent as they have said is currently server persistent unless you park and store your ship or log out in a bed then some of the ship and player items are stored to a universal player db that all servers pull from. The game world state is currently local cache only for now. But even that seems to work ok even after a 30k if you wait 10 to 15 mind before attempting to log back in as it seems to attempt to put you back on the same server if it's available.

Spawned ships do seem to have legacy rules in regards to being garbage cleared which is frustrating when the dropped coffee cup works as expected.

As for gui changes it's all behind the rollout of their new gui framework which looks to be working well but given most of the development staff is being gobbled by the black hole that is sq42 its expected to see no changes

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
It does make you wonder what they are working on.

But honestly the persistent as they have said is currently server persistent unless you park and store your ship or log out in a bed then some of the ship and player items are stored to a universal player db that all servers pull from. The game world state is currently local cache only for now. But even that seems to work ok even after a 30k if you wait 10 to 15 mind before attempting to log back in as it seems to attempt to put you back on the same server if it's available.

Spawned ships do seem to have legacy rules in regards to being garbage cleared which is frustrating when the dropped coffee cup works as expected.

As for gui changes it's all behind the rollout of their new gui framework which looks to be working well but given most of the development staff is being gobbled by the black hole that is sq42 its expected to see no changes
We are supposed to have:
Implementation of the Persistent Entity Streaming core technology into Star Citizen. Making use of services such as the Entity Graph and Replication Layer, this will allow every dynamic object in the game to fully persist across all servers, irrelevant of whether it is owned or held by a player.
Every dynamic object in the game should include states of ships (which should include MFD choices, weapon groups and lighting). Across servers should mean if your ship is on the pad at an outpost, or getting blown off the pad so it is above the pad, and you 30K while you aren't in the ship, you should be able to travel back to that outpost, regardless of server, and recover your ship.

That isn't happening.

Reactions: Shadow Reaper
Forgot your password?