Looks like I'm sticking around...

Kersakov

Rear Admiral
Donor
Apr 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Kersakov
People seem to share personal things here occasionally so I thought I would too as y'all my friends....

So I graduated university on wednesday with a computer systems engineering degree which was nice.
I may have mentioned to a few of you (or not) that my degree was actually paid for by the Royal Navy and I was due to be going into Weapons Engineering Officer Training in September.
As of this morning I found out that that won't be happening as I have been declared 'medically unfit for service' on mental health grounds for a minimum of 2 years. As such I am now not a student and not a Navy Officer, just an unemployed engineer living with my parents.

One of the key reasons for picking TEST was that I would need an organisation that I could drop in and out of for months at a time for training and deployment which is obviously not happening now but I guess the point of this thread is just to say I'm glad I chose TEST; I'm obviously looking for silver linings to my situation and one I keep coming to is that I get to spend more time with TEST. I'm much more of a lurker than a poster but TEST has become a big part of my days over the past few months and I attribute the awesomeness to all of you guys on here.

In true TEST fashion, I am dealing with this situation by getting blind ass drunk so I guess in my alcoholically-charged emotional state, I just want to say thanks to you all.

Reactions: rogesh

Willem Default

Space Marshal
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
WillemDefault
Two points, Kersakov:

1. I'm glad you're still gonna be kicking about with us!
2. Lurker or not, you're a fellow TESTie, so if you ever need to talk about anything to do with your mental health issues then remember we're all here for you, so don't be afraid to PM me (or I assume any other TESTie) if you need a chat!

Reactions: Kersakov and rogesh

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
<< Was given a PDQ (Permanent Disqualification) from entering the Air Force because of an old (and wrong) diagnosis of ADD and panic disorder.

My GP forgot to mention that a possible (and frequent) side effect of an Albuterol treatment is a "panic attack", though it was my only instance. My GP, in his infinite wisdom, kept "Panic Disorder" on my chart for 5 years... and I had two letters from professionals (both my GP and a psych) saying I don't have ADD. Nope, not good enough for the Air Force... even though I'd just be an engineer.

My wife (well, girlfriend at the time) and most of my family breathed a collective sigh of relief and I'm still trying to pick up the pieces (this was almost 4 years ago, now).

The Upside is that my boss can't give me stupid orders and I won't get jailed if I don't follow them.

Downside is that I have almost 0 job satisfaction/security.

Kersakov

Rear Admiral
Donor
Apr 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Kersakov
<< Was given a PDQ (Permanent Disqualification) from entering the Air Force because of an old (and wrong) diagnosis of ADD and panic disorder.

My GP forgot to mention that a possible (and frequent) side effect of an Albuterol treatment is a "panic attack", though it was my only instance. My GP, in his infinite wisdom, kept "Panic Disorder" on my chart for 5 years... and I had two letters from professionals (both my GP and a psych) saying I don't have ADD. Nope, not good enough for the Air Force... even though I'd just be an engineer.

My wife (well, girlfriend at the time) and most of my family breathed a collective sigh of relief and I'm still trying to pick up the pieces (this was almost 4 years ago, now).

The Upside is that my boss can't give me stupid orders and I won't get jailed if I don't follow them.

Downside is that I have almost 0 job satisfaction/security.
Wow that really sucks dude, at least my diagnosis is accurate so I can try and do the whole 'It's the right thing for me' line...

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
I couldn't re-enlist to the Army cause of a "Bee Sting Allergy"..... I'm not allergic to bee stings, been stung dozens of times.

dubbzy

Admiral
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
dubbzy104
Look at it this way, now you have a (free) college degree and can find a job that will let you play SC and hang with TEST every day

Reactions: Kersakov

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
Wow that really sucks dude, at least my diagnosis is accurate so I can try and do the whole 'It's the right thing for me' line...
Well, what I wasn't prepared for was the "sigh of relief" from my family. I was going in as an R&D engineer into the Chair Force... er, Air Force. Probably would have been stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio, and maybe "Deployed" to Alaska, or Eglin for testing and other reasons, so there would have been no chance of me getting sent to combat (even though I may have requested it, eventually). My wife is slowly realizing the benefits of being career Military, as well (mainly, 40-50% pay for life after retirement and great benefits, as well).

Sure, there are downsides, but I was fully aware of all of that. My family didn't think so, but oh well, I'm only working a job that sucks the life out of me simply for the money, because I have to and couldn't really afford to do much else here in Los Angeles.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Damn, that is sad to hear. Hopefully you'll bounce back pretty quick. And of course, spend more time with your drunken internet besties!

Forgot your password?